Author Topic: Crime and criminals  (Read 241665 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Crime and criminals
« Reply #855 on: July 09, 2016, 03:56:59 pm »
I'm in receipt of an RAF pension which is conditional on my good behaviour.

B. I was surprised by your statement, I was unaware of these conditions applicable after leaving service, can you please explain further.    $thanx$

I'm not sure where I have it written down Steve but we were certainly made awear that our Pension was conditional on demob.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #856 on: July 09, 2016, 05:01:48 pm »
Thanks for that, seemed strange that they still have a hold on you, after your service.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »
Thanks for that, seemed strange that they still have a hold on you, after your service.

Isn't it non-contributary?
It seems fair that if the pension is free they can make a few stipulations if you transgress in later life.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #858 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:14 pm »
Whether you like them or not, this is a shame.

Llandudno's 'Monkey Man' talks about being attacked in his home.
Llandudno's popular “Monkey Man” and his wife are recovering after allegedly being assaulted in their own home - for the sake of £10.

Police are investigating the incident which occurred on the morning of July 5 in the seaside town.

Sam Peters and Amanda Newman are well-known in Llandudno for entertaining people on the streets with their singing and dancing act .
He has won fans across the world for his Monkey Man act which involves dressing up in various guises with his toy monkey beside him.

The 63-year-old who has suffered from a variety of health problems over the years, including depression which performing helps him overcome.

More... http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudnos-monkey-man-talks-being-11624154

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #859 on: May 26, 2017, 12:15:12 am »
This complete idiot had his sentence doubled to NINE years for setting fire in an aeroplane toilet.
It should have been NINETY years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-40045599
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #860 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:58 am »
The sooner alcohol is banned from Airport departure lounges the better. And perhaps he could be sent to a Jihadi jail?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #861 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
This sentence for these offences is appalling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40668332

After drinking ten pints, Poole got into his car and drove. Poole, from Glyn Ceiriog, admitted causing serious injury by dangerous driving and was jailed for three years on Thursday. He was also banned from driving for five-and-a-half years after admitting failing to provide blood and breath tests, failing to stop and driving without insurance. Mr Davies, a keen rugby player, suffered a broken leg, shattered shoulder blade, dislocated collar bone, lacerations to the head, bleeding to the kidney and bruising to his lungs and liver and now uses a wheelchair.
The court heard Poole had convictions including three instances of drink-driving, driving while disqualified, careless driving and failing to stop and was on licence at the time of the crash after being released from prison.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #862 on: July 20, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
It's shocking to have such a lenient sentence for such dangerous driving but I've also heard of those type of drivers killing people and getting a similar sentence so it's time that this type of thing is reviewed.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #863 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:27 pm »
Well, the injured parties can appeal the sentence. Does sound rather lenient to me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #864 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:45 pm »
Well, the injured parties can appeal the sentence.

The injured parties shouldn't have to; they have had enough stress to deal with as it is. He should have been sentenced appropriately in the first place.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #865 on: July 21, 2017, 08:15:18 am »
The problem is he's a hardened recidivist, so what's the solution? Peter Fahy (ex-chief con. Manchester) made an interesting point on the Beeb this morning when he reminded everyone that 99% of crime is committed by around 1% of the population.  He was commenting on the reports that the latest statistics seem to indicate a rise in violent crime.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #866 on: July 21, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
The problem is he's a hardened recidivist, so what's the solution? Peter Fahy (ex-chief con. Manchester) made an interesting point on the Beeb this morning when he reminded everyone that 99% of crime is committed by around 1% of the population.  He was commenting on the reports that the latest statistics seem to indicate a rise in violent crime.

In that case, whilst it might be a slightly radical suggestion, I suggest eradicating that 1%.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #867 on: July 21, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
If my points system had have been implemented, they would be well on the way to it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #868 on: July 21, 2017, 12:39:28 pm »
As I've said before I saw someone else write an article about a points system similar to yours....Well it wasn't an article as such it was written on a wall.....in excrement.....in a mental home. But you get the idea  $good$

Anyway remind me again about your points system how many do you get for murder and how many must you accumulate before you get murdered? As I can see a rather obvious flaw in your plan  ££$

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #869 on: July 21, 2017, 02:48:24 pm »
I seem to recall that until 1948, there was a provision called "preventive detention". This meant that Quarter Sessions could lock up persistent offenders indefinitely.  If persistent criminals who do not respond to non-custodial sentences were detained, they would not be at large committing offences. Another factor is the current vogue for sentences not being what Parliament prescribes because of the Sentencing Guidelines Council - not many victims or their families represented on this body as you can imagine.