Author Topic: Stonework, Masonry and buildings - ancient and modern.  (Read 28964 times)

Offline marlin

Re: Stonework, Masonry and buildings - ancient and modern.
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 04:14:57 pm »
Dear DaveR,

Your response is I guess what I anticipated, whether I like the design or not is irrelevent, its your judgemental comments that frankly I question, you have of course the right to your opinion, but the comments could be seen, perhaps by the owner of the property as inappropriate and potentially rude. I believe perhaps more decorum should be used when writting comments in a public blog, some readers might take real exception to the wording. Again perhaps you will publish a picture of your home so others can judge your taste in design!

Yorkie

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 04:37:34 pm »
I, for one, did not take exception to DaveR's comment.  But I do take exception to yours!

This is a good honest OPEN Forum and one thing it does believe in is Freedom of Speech.  The only censorship is dictated by the people who pay and administer it, and is then only comments that are totally distasteful and contravene the Rules by which we all abide.

My opinion of the building is very similar, it is not the least bit tasteful and totally lacks any form or style which could so easily be incorporated into a new build.   However, if that is what the developer wanted, so be it, but he (or she or they) have no right or reason to deny anyone else the opportunity to pass an opinion.

If he (etc.) doesn't like what is said it is just hard luck, and you have done little to help by complaining!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 05:22:13 pm »
No-one could ever accuse my house of being tasteless:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »
 L0L  and the neighbours are very good too!

Marlin, some will like it and some won't, thats life, seems a shame that the group of architects that designed it seem never to have met. but if you like it then great, it's in a great location and if the owner's happy (I assume it's you) no problem.  As far as I know we are all entitled to an opinion here aren't we?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:14 pm »
Without wishing to get involved one way or another, I think that buidings should reflect their surroundings and that of nearby properties.
If you have a location like this with stunning views all around would you really want to have a house with small windows like it has?
Properties should be built with the consideration of their location and existing properties in mind and not with how much money the developer can make from the site.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 07:54:24 pm »
Looks like someones got a case of what I affectionately call Cartier syndrome!
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:41 am »
marlin, just a couple of points: when you say

I believe perhaps more decorum should be used when writting comments in a public blog, some readers might take real exception to the wording. Again perhaps you will publish a picture of your home so others can judge your taste in design!

On a technical point this is a forum, and not a blog.  Although that might seem immaterial to you, in a forum everyone has an equal right of reply that will enjoy equal status in publishing terms and be seen by everyone. Conversely, Blog owners ad writers enjoy and exercise much greater editorial control over comments made about any posting.  In short, blogs are like newspapers and forums like pubs or cafes in debate terms.

Secondly, I think the implication that no one can criticise a piece of architecture unless their own house represents a pinnacle of architectural design is flawed. On that basis, anyone who was not a world-class impressionist, for instance, could ever criticise modern Art, or Ballet, if they weren't a superb dancer. People instinctively know what they like although - for many reasons - their own pad might not aspire to be everything they would want themselves.

And welcome to the forum, BTW;  it's good to see you contributing :-))  :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline marlin

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:44 am »
Contributors to the discussion, I'm dleighted to see such a heated debate, needless to say I do not agree with some of the comments, of course even in the spirit of free speech, I still maintain that some element of self control and objectivity should be used and making comments to the forum, clearly at this time this is not the case in this particular circumstance, indeed some seem to relish it, additional I still would like to understand the credentials of "the king of the mountain" is it! But clearly this will not arrive for what ever reason.

In the meantime I shall continue the vast majority of the forum content which I have to say is apparently well informed and very useful.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
I don't agree with some of your comments Marlin, however I wouldn't ever suggest that you shouldn't make them. Keep them coming, by all means. It would be a dull world if we all agreed with each other.

Opinions about architecture are obviously very subjective; I'm sure we all remember Prince Charles' description of an extension to the National Gallery as a 'monstrous carbuncle'.  ;D Having said that, in all seriousness, I do feel that Abbey Lodge is an uninspired design, more reminiscent of a 'semi on steroids' than the unique piece of architecture that the site demands. I'm prepared to accept that the original design may have been compromised by the requirements of the Developer and the Planning Dept but I really do feel its a shame that the Developer couldn't have come up with something better when spending so much money.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Stonwork, Masonery and buildings - ancient and modern.
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:06 am »
Went round the Orme to look at what they are doing with the new building at Abbey Lodge.  I was amazed to see what looks like a circle of standing stones between what will be the house and the cliffs edge.  Anyone know if it is genuine?  Is it on any old maps?  Few feet away from what is left of the Bishop's Palace so don't know if access to public is available.  Hopefully if it is genuine there is some sort of preservation order on it.  Maybe it's just a folly? ???
The first photo was taken when they were just starting the building work and the second was taken before any work was started.
I realised that I had posted the same photo twice so I'm posting a side elevation of the plot and I can't tell if those stones were there before or not

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:35:39 pm by Hugo »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:39 am »
Looks interesting.  Are they standing stones or walls? They look like the remainder of stone walls to me but then I can't zoom in sufficiently to decide?

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline marlin

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:37 am »
Dera DaveR

I respect your comments, thank you, enough said. Also thanks for the amount of work you clearly put into the Forum as I said I do find it a very valuable source. You are right on the point of the front design of the house, I have it on good authority the Local Authority insisted it looked like it does, not that that makes it unattractive at least to me, eyes of the beholder as you say.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:04 am »
Is the new building near bishops palace?  On the map you gave me yesterday Dave next to Bishops Palace it says " reputed site of stone circle"  *&(

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »
It's too the right of the palace ruins as you look out to sea.  Looks like standing stones not building ruins as it's a circle.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
Marlin,   despite your attempts to get DaveR to post a genuine picture of his house, you won't get it for one of two possible reasons.

1, DaveR is an enigmatic man, shrouded in mystique, almost legendary and clandestine.  I have known him for quite some time now, and he has visited my house, but I have no idea where he lives!   A wise man.

2, Dave couldn't get the light quite right for a decent picture of the interior of his house... its DARK in Kendricks cave !!!    _))* _))* _))*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -