Author Topic: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread  (Read 45847 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Fester's Favourite Pubs Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:13:21 pm »
I can confirm that I, too, have heard about the secret passage from the fireplace. The only thing is----I heard that it was from the fireplace in the old ruins on Llys Euryn. In fact, as a child I even went so far as to take a spade up there and start digging!!! I wont bother telling you the result

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »
If true, that would have been one heck of a tunnel, Mike!  :laugh:

I've actually had a good look in the back of the Rhos Fynach fireplace and there's no sign of any tunnel now, think it may have been blocked off when the place was rebuilt:

"In 1990, a Llandudno businessman called Ray Gardner (of Tiffanys Cafe Bar  fame) signed a 99 year lease with Colwyn Council for the former Cegin Y Mynach Tearooms and, at a cost of £350,000, it was then completely renovated and extended into the Rhos Fynach pub/restaurant we know today, which opened in November 1992. The Council (now CCBC) still own the Freehold and it is now let to Mr Robert Skelley (the current Landlord)."

There's also a secret hiding place in the fireplace at Penrhyn Old Hall that you can see.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »
My favourite pub was the Mail Coach in Conwy when Dave had it.  Excellent atmosphere, always something to entertain from football to live entertainment.  Dave is now the Steward of the Legion in Conwy (now, due to his involvement has seen the last of adverse publicity) Lets hope decent tennants take over the Mail Coach within the next few weeks as Conwy people can be very loyal and will not enter the pub with the current managers insitue. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 06:26:01 pm »
Aren't the current managers the guys from the Town House in Llandudno?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »
Aren't the current managers the guys from the Town House in Llandudno?
Yes and there in lies the problem, however just been told it closes tomorrow. The Pub-co will no doubt have someone else in line for it though, we have an idea who but, nothing definate yet.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »
PubCos have ruined the pubs industry.  :(

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 07:09:56 pm »
Pub Cos have systematically strangled the living daylights from our local pubs and the local landlords and landladies, when you consider your paying phenominal rents and at least in some cases 90p  extra on each pint you pour. Legalised robbery.  On this issue I could rant on for hrs and given my time again I would train as a barrister and make it my mission to collect nads on spikes Dave. (soap box dissmounted)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 07:13:59 pm »
The Mail Coach---any of you Conwy people remember when the "mighty" Joe Young was the landlord. I bet you see his son's name every day---Roland Young haulage contractor.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »
Pub Cos have systematically strangled the living daylights from our local pubs and the local landlords and landladies, when you consider your paying phenominal rents and at least in some cases 90p  extra on each pint you pour. Legalised robbery.  On this issue I could rant on for hrs and given my time again I would train as a barrister and make it my mission to collect nads on spikes Dave. (soap box dissmounted)
It's odd how this subject has come up, as I was talking to a friend only today how the PubCos are operating what is little better than a scam, by sucking in people to invest their life savings into a dream of 'owning their own pub', only to structure the legal agreement so that it is practically impossible for the tenants to make any sort of a living from it, through a combination of high rents and requirement to buy beer/spirits from only one supplier at artificially high prices.  :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 01:47:28 am »
Yes, I've read an article on the PubCos scam ... its a shocking state of affairs when someone can plunge their life savings, redundancy money or  loan into a pretty simple business,... only to realise that they have little or no chance of making a living.

BUT ...BEWARE... the same applies to driving schools (BSM in particular) ... and some taxi companies.

Now, I have to say that the lads who run the Townhouse are not bad guys at all,  and I don't think the Conwy locals gave them a chance whilst in situ at The Mailcoach.
I understood that the ex landlord had no animosity to them, and he hoped that the locals would continue drinking there ... but it seems not.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »
Yes, I've read an article on the PubCos scam ... its a shocking state of affairs when someone can plunge their life savings, redundancy money or  loan into a pretty simple business,... only to realise that they have little or no chance of making a living.

BUT ...BEWARE... the same applies to driving schools (BSM in particular) ... and some taxi companies.

Now, I have to say that the lads who run the Townhouse are not bad guys at all,  and I don't think the Conwy locals gave them a chance whilst in situ at The Mailcoach.
I understood that the ex landlord had no animosity to them, and he hoped that the locals would continue drinking there ... but it seems not.

The locals wouldn't go in there as the Lads from the Townhouse were aware of Daves fate before he was.  They opperate with the same pubco. They were going in the Mail coach and be friending Dave, asking how business was etc, with the sole intention pulling the mat from under him. Disgraceful, as landlords or tennants we should be working on the same page, but not those two. I think its Gaz? defaced my mates car with a yellow chalk Pen he wrote "Obstruction" across her windscreen. She was parked outside her house, police were called, they knew it was him as his menu boards were written in the same pen. He told the police it must have been one of his staff !! The house across the road had it all on their CCTV.  So maybe we haven't seen the real Gaz, but I beg to differ.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »
Oh,  that all sounds pretty serious stuff.
I must admit I have no knowledge of any of this ...but I'm not close to it.
I just went by what I heard locally round the pubs in both Tudno and Conwy, and what I read in the Weekly News in an interview with Dave.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »
Hia Dave was told today that the Albion has been bought by a local micro brewer, lets hope so. Although you can't always believe whats said on the local bongo drums can you.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »
Hia Dave was told today that the Albion has been bought by a local micro brewer, lets hope so. Although you can't always believe whats said on the local bongo drums can you.
That would be great news if its true.  <:<:<:<

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »
I went on a mini pub crawl in Llandudno last night with a well known local reprobate, have to say my favourite pub was the King's Head. Sitting outside with a pint as dusk fell was great.  :D

Kings Head Pub, Llandudno
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr