Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 622246 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:17 pm »
I.m still unsure as to where the visitors cars are going. 99 percent of travelodge visitors arrive by car. The other one per cent are illegal stowaways hiding in a car.Anyone know?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 08:44:38 pm »
I.m still unsure as to where the visitors cars are going. 99 percent of travelodge visitors arrive by car. The other one per cent are illegal stowaways hiding in a car.Anyone know?
I think they will receive a permit to park in the Bay View Centre car park. I'm impressed at how they have squeezed such a large building on that site!  :o

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:08 pm »
There's a Travelodge in Harrogate that doesn't have its own carpark - there are some nearby pay & display carparks and pay & display street parking but it's all rather expensive. We only stayed there one night once we found out when we arrived - you normally assume that such places do have parking facilities. Moral - always ask, never assume!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 08:14:35 am »
That's an increasing trend.   In-town hotels seem to be using NCP constructions quite a bit more, now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
The Principality Building Society are opening a branch in Colwyn Bay, don't yet know where though.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »
Sounds like one to avoid!!  $dins$

OPERATORS of a Rhos On Sea pub have been forced to pay a total of £2,800 after failing to meet minimum food hygiene standards.

Baranswift, who own and run the Aberhod Old Hall on the Cayley Promenade, were prosecuted by Conwy County Borough Council under food hygiene regulations.

A food hygiene inspection of the premises on September 30, 2009 found a failure to ensure that the premises were clean and in good repair and condition.

Llandudno Magistrates heard how the structure of food rooms were dirty with mould and condensation on walls, dirty crockery, dirty internal fridge surfaces, dirty fridge handles and dirty floor under equipment.

Baranswift were fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 legal costs and £800 investigation costs. A total of £2,800.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/94627/pub-failed-food-hygiene-test.aspx

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 02:34:56 pm »
I saw this ship when I was on the computer so went down to Rhos to have a look.  It was moored about 200 yards off shore and is called the Galatea but I've no idea what it was doing there.
Had a look on Google and came up with some info about the ship but it has now gone off in the direction of Penrhyn Bay.

Galatea
Trinity House
This page is devoted to postcards and photographs of the 2007 Trinity House vessel Galatea.

The ceremonial cutting of the steel to begin the construction of the new 84m Trinity House Multi-Function Tender (MFT) THV Galatea occurred at the Stocznia Remontowa SA shipbuilders yard in Gdansk, Poland, on Tuesday 11 October 2005. The Galatea arrived in Harwich from Poland on 23rd July 2007. The Galatea is a replacement for THV Mermaid (4) which will be sold out-of-service once Galatea has successfully completed an initial period of trials and crew training. She has an overall length of 84.20 metres and breadth of 16.50 metres. The level of sophistication in her equipment is second to none and boasts dynamic positioning, a large aft working deck area, integrated bridge management system and forward helicopter flight deck. She is also able to carry out additional tasks such as hydrographic surveying and wreck finding and contract commercial work.

General particulars:
Shipyard: Stocznia Remontowa SA, Gdansk, Poland
Date Vessel launched: 26 July 2006
Port of registry: London
Length overall: 84.20m
Length between perpendiculars: 75.00m
Length loaded water line: 79.20m
Breadth moulded: 16.50m
Depth moulded to main deck: 7.20m
Design draught moulded: 4.25m
Scantling draught moulded: 4.50m
Air draught: 30.00m
Gross tonnage: 3569 tonnes
Diesel electric
Two azimuth propellors
Two bow thrusters
Trial speed: 13.50 knots
Service speed: 12.50 knots
Crane capacity: 30 tonnes

As

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 06:09:18 pm »
Its a Marine Survey Vessel,  usually berthed at Menai Bridge.
Used by Bangor University I'm told.
Its usually knocking around Gt Orme's head, and up and down the Conwy Estuary.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 06:14:43 pm »
Thanks Fester for the info, it's quite an unusual boat and I haven't seen it before.   There is a link to find out the activities of the boats but I have lost it I'm afraid.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 06:21:56 pm »
It's not the Prince Madog....

Prince Madog research vessel by P_P_Hughes, on Flickr

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »
Ahh .. no.
It was definitely the larger Galatea vessel, very close to the Pier today.
I must be mistaken about its purpose...
The NWWN has a column each week where the RNLI mentions all significant shipping movements .. might have to wait until next Thurs for more info!
Fester...

Offline Gwyn

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 07:02:00 pm »
 $wales

The "Galetea" is a buoys and lighthouses ship and I also saw  it in Rhos this afternoon.  It was tending to the "Rhosneigr" wreck buoy just off Rhos point.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:32 pm »
Hi Gwyn!
Funny you should mention that ... because about half an hour after The Galatea was close to Llandudno Pier, another much smaller vessel with Trinity House markings sailed up to the Pier Head.
I couldn't see what was going on from 200 yards away ... but looked interesting nontheless!

Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
I was in my garden this afternoon when I heard some loud booming noises similar to when they were using the pile drivers for the windmill's.
Visibility was less than 100 yards so I couldn't see what was going on and wondered if anyone knew

Offline Daven

• http://www.pincffloyd.com
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 01:06:34 pm »
Wasn't the Galetea featured in one of the Three Men in a Boat programmes