Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 622230 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »
I could see the high tide from my window so I went down to the Rhos Promenade to take some photos.   The North Easterly wind was creating some large waves and some young lads were playing dodge the waves but not always successfully!
I took some more photos from the safety of the shelter by the Aberhod but when I had finished I was just getting in the car when a large wave came right over the shelter and soaked me and the inside of the car!
When I drove to the pier I was taking no chances and took the last photo from inside the car.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:47 pm »
great pics Hugo.  D)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
Thanks Pendragon,  I've changed into some dry clothes now and as I'm typing I can see that the sea is still rough although the tide is on it's way out now.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 04:18:10 pm »
I used to love walking on Pen beach, I always thought it was better before the new road to be honest. Now its all concrete and anti-vandal paint. Its always had a calming effect on me.  :rage:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:43 pm »
Before the big breakwater was built opposite the Rhos Abbey a weather situation similar to todays would definately seen the Cayley flooded and seawater well on the way towards the cricket club.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:57 pm »
Before the big breakwater was built opposite the Rhos Abbey a weather situation similar to todays would definately seen the Cayley flooded and seawater well on the way towards the cricket club.
Definitely. It would have looked this this, i suspect:
[smg id=1005]
Penrhyn Ave, Rhos in 1982. Contributed by Jemima

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 10:50:18 pm »
I've been looking at your photo on pg1 Dave and that was a very high tide indeed.   Today's tide wasn't that high and it's just as well because there could have been some serious flooding today if it had been.
That breakwater at a cost of £250K has more than paid for itself.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »
Today's a completely different day in Colwyn Bay. It's sunny and dry with hardly any wind and the sea is calm again.  I've just looked out of my lounge window and the visibility is excellent. I can see the Lake District clearly and there seems to be a lot of snow on the mountains there. Further north I can also see Scotland and there is snow there too.  I got my binoculars out to get a better look at the mountains and the snow.
I can also see part of the Isle of Man although it is not as clear in that direction as the Lake District is.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 03:46:08 pm »
you must have a Panoramic view from the window Hugo! I'm off to the Lake district for the weekend, better pack my boots and fleeces ???

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 06:18:43 pm »
Playing 'dodge the waves' !!!
No...!
When the sea is THAT rough, the prom should be CLOSED.
I spent a lot of time in Scarborough, and they now close the prom on stormy days ... because quite a number of innocent (and some idiotic) people have been swept to thier deaths by the waves taking them back into the sea....

Seriously, that picture of that person under the wave on the prom is risking his life ....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »
Playing 'dodge the waves' !!!
No...!
When the sea is THAT rough, the prom should be CLOSED.
I spent a lot of time in Scarborough, and they now close the prom on stormy days ... because quite a number of innocent (and some idiotic) people have been swept to thier deaths by the waves taking them back into the sea....

Seriously, that picture of that person under the wave on the prom is risking his life ....

That's Hugo's wife.  L0L

Offline Hugo

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
I got her to pose for that one Trojan!     ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 07:48:00 pm »
I saw  tomorrows weather forecast for the Lake District and N Wales and there are gales up to 80mph and rain too.       Hope it changes by the weekend Suepp but I'm sure that you'll have a good time anyway.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »
Wonder if there will be another high tide? It's in at 13.07 tomorrow.
*goes off to charge up camera*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:48 am »
Looking at Rhos on Sea right now and there is not a wave in sight.  The wind is getting stronger but nowhere near the 80mph gusts forecast for today. 
The wind today is a westerly and blowing from the shore so that's why the sea is relatively calm today.   On Tuesday the wind that was causing those waves was a North Easterly.