Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626139 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:43 am »
You do also get the odd case of dogs being electrocuted when they cock their legs against a faulty lamp post.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2011, 09:33:49 am »
One very interesting thing I saw many moons age was the electrocution of a cow, lying - nose first - towards one of the big pylons on the Roman road on the Carneddau. No visible sign of dangling cables, but the cow was certainly dead, and the chap in attendance was saying something about 'concentric fields'.  What I do know - as I've tried it myself - is that you can light up a fluorescent tube by holding it above your head by its two ends, if you're standing near to the base of one of the high-voltage pylons NG use for their main distribution network.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
CCBC have been busily buying up empty properties in central Colwyn Bay. Most will demolished as part of the Regeneration programme:

KFC Building, Princes Drive - £225,000
10 Douglas Road - £114,000
Market Hall, Princes Drive - £758,500
22 Station Road (Roumania House) - £230,000

They are also intending to spend £450,000 on 'public art' in central Colwyn Bay.  :-X

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:42 am »
Where is all this money coming from for CCBC to spend? ...(I know the answer, its coming from us!)

Surely, for a fraction of that price, they could buy up the Pier Pavilion site in Llandudno ... and then this era of desolation on that site could begin to lift.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2011, 07:13:58 am »
Where is all this money coming from for CCBC to spend? ...(I know the answer, its coming from us!)

Surely, for a fraction of that price, they could buy up the Pier Pavilion site in Llandudno ... and then this era of desolation on that site could begin to lift.

Colwyn Bay was designated a Strategic Regeneration Area, the money is coming from WG.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2011, 11:01:23 am »
Wetherspoons in Colwyn Bay is currently closed for refurbishment.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2011, 11:59:19 pm »
I have been into many Wetherspoons, but the one in Colwyn Bay is the best by far.

All the different levels, soft furnishings and intersting architecture make for a really pleasant place to have a beer and grub.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:24 am »
It is much better than a lot of other Wetherspoons.

Good to see another eyesore shopfront removed in Penrhyn Road and replaced with a more sympathetic design:

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »
It was a beautiful warm day here yesterday and the evening was pleasant too.    About 10.00pm I was looking out over the sea and the visibility was excellent.  You could see the Isle of Man and the Cumbrian hills quite clearly but the pictures I took were rubbish so I'm not posting them.
Today was another lovely day and this photo was taken this morning.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
Why is almost every shop in Colwyn Bay closed on a Sunday??  :o It's like a throwback to some bygone religious age.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »
Why is almost every shop in Colwyn Bay closed on a Sunday??  :o It's like a throwback to some bygone religious age.
It's a chicken and egg situation. Shops don't open because there are no people about. People dont come because there are no shops open. It is deathly quiet in the Bay on a Sunday, like a ghost town.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #236 on: July 03, 2011, 11:23:05 pm »
This is nothing new. In the early eightys i.e. 30 years ago, a Rhyl based bus operator of a sort ran a bus service from the Bay to Llysfaen. His drivers were all from the Rhyl area and they just could not believe their eyes when they travelled the eight miles or so from the heaving masses of people around Rhyl on a summer seasonal Sunday to the empty streets of the Bay.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2011, 12:17:36 pm »
This is nothing new. In the early eightys i.e. 30 years ago, a Rhyl based bus operator of a sort ran a bus service from the Bay to Llysfaen. His drivers were all from the Rhyl area and they just could not believe their eyes when they travelled the eight miles or so from the heaving masses of people around Rhyl on a summer seasonal Sunday to the empty streets of the Bay.

If it's the same coach operator as I think it is, he picked our football team up after we had an end of season late night /  early morning drinking spree and it turned out that he had more to drink than most of our team!         :roll:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21:36 pm »
 :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2011, 10:53:55 pm »
Another shopfront on Penrhyn Road has been 'victorianised' with the aid of Townscape Heritage Initiative cash: