Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626458 times)

Offline Linda

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #450 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:57 pm »
An interesting and light hearted piece of news for Colwyn Bay.   A friend of mine was down at llanddulas beach this morning (as a paramedic they sometimes have a cuppa stop off there) saw swimming towards Colwyn Bay a pod of Porpoise (Dolphin as she called them)
This is the second time, Last year I was at Old Colwyn at saw them going towards Llanddulas and that same afternoon ,My friend saw them whilst she was walking her dog. Amazing to see as the last time I watch Porpoise was at Puffin Island in the channel there. Plenty of mackerel around so chasing them no doubt.
She managed to get a photo, looking forward to seeing it. Have to get my camera clicking this week. Plus an increase of sightings of seals. *&(

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »
I was looking out of my front window and thought that I saw a flare floating on the sea not too far from the shore but my couldn't see it clearly with my binocs so I went downstairs to get a more powerful pair.
Couldn't see anything at all when I looked again but now I have just witnessed a yellow rescue helicopter searching in that area and it looks like two other small vessals are also out searching for something.
The helicopter has just landed on the small beach in Rhos on Sea but I don't know exactly what is going on down there.

It has now taken off from the beach and has flown in an easterly direction towards Llanddulas where it has disappeared from my view, perhaps it is headed for Glan Clwyd Hospital?

The two boats that I thought may have been involved in a search are now returning to Rhos Harbour

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2013, 04:08:46 pm »
2 people on a jet ski 1 on shore ok 1 missing ,so must have found them on way to hospital hope ok , young dav murrey raised the alarm ,fb is a good thing sometimes

Offline Hugo

« Reply #453 on: July 25, 2013, 06:56:03 pm »
Thanks Norman, hope that whatever happened has a happy ending.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: July 25, 2013, 07:20:47 pm »
RNLI, RAF & COASTGUARDS DEAL WITH NORTH WALES COAST MEDICAL EMERGENCY

Following multiple 999 calls to Holyhead Coastguard this afternoon (25/7) reporting a flare or jetski on fire in the Rhos-on-Sea / Colwyn Bay area, Llandudno RNLI inshore lifeboat was called out at 1445 hrs. At the same time the RAF Sea King call-sign 'Rescue 122' was scrambled to the area.

Taken to Colwyn Bay by road the lifeboat launched shortly afterwards, and her crew soon located a small dinghy offshore containing one man who had suffered an angina attack, and had lost his relieving spray overboard.

He was immediately taken aboard the lifeboat, and in view of his condition the RNLI crew set off at full speed for the shore, at the same time maintaining radio communications with the approaching helicopter crew. The casualty was landed ashore at 1525, at the same time as Rescue 122 arrived overhead. The RAF paramedic crewman was landed and proceeded to stabilise the casualty; the helicopter returned shortly afterwards to land on the beach, take the casualty on board and fly him to hospital.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #455 on: July 28, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
Well here is a Q&A in today's 'Mail on Sunday' that I must confess I once thought I would never see again in my lifetime.  D)

If you do not believe me then turn to page 52 of the newspaper's Travel Section.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #456 on: July 28, 2013, 11:29:03 am »
OMG---- I hope it reaches their expectations !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Linda

« Reply #457 on: July 28, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »
OMG---- I hope it reaches their expectations !
Me too Nem, beach is good when weather holds, waterfront debatable until all up and running,a bit more for the kids would be good. Erias park was really good at one time now needs lots of TLC. Zoo is pretty good. Rhos pleasant with paddling pool but empty Rhos point cafe. As a whole area though Conwy, Llandudno and Colwyn bay with lots of speedy work( i only say this as by the time something is complete, another area falls into repair)  could be a pretty good spot. :Sisyphus:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #458 on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:05 pm »
 _))* _))*

Perhaps we should get Sisyphus on the council !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #459 on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »
   The sad thing is that anyone doing an internet search (or any other search come to that) on Colwyn Bay after accommodation will be sadly disappointed.  There are a few remaining in the Bay, the Travel Lodge which doesn't really fit in to a weeks holiday, and thats it.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #460 on: August 10, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »
The signage from outside the Amber Coffee Shop on Station Road has been removed and there were some people in their this morning.  They didn't look to be doing much other than standing looking out of the window.  I also noticed a closing down sign in the window of the Age Cymru charity shop which is closing for good on 31st August.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline hollins

« Reply #461 on: August 22, 2013, 07:30:25 pm »
While visiting Porth Eirias this morning we were told to watch out after 4pm for a Shogun vehicle which had become submerged earlier in the morning. The driver had gone out early to launch a boat.
These photos show what we saw when we returned at about 5pm.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #462 on: August 22, 2013, 07:34:20 pm »
Well here is a Q&A in today's 'Mail on Sunday' that I must confess I once thought I would never see again in my lifetime.  D)

If you do not believe me then turn to page 52 of the newspaper's Travel Section.
It sounds as though it was written by someone who has not been to Colwyn Bay since 1973.  :laugh:

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:56 am »
is that the skip they are going to put it in? (last photo)

Offline Bri Roberts

Colwyn Bay Zoo workers scoop £1m on National Lottery
« Reply #464 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:04 pm »
Zoo workers went wild today after scooping a £1m lottery prize.

The lemurs at the Welsh Mountain Zoo in Colwyn Bay joined the celebrations as the syndicate of 16 staff sprayed champagne to mark their "unbelievable" win in the EuroMillions Millionaire Raffle.

Each member of the group will get £62,500, allowing staff to pay for houses, a dream wedding and the holiday of a lifetime.

Peter Litherland, 50, an animal collection manager who lives at the zoo, said: “We're still all absolutely stunned. We cannot believe that something like this could happen to us.

“I hadn’t even bothered to check the ticket as we never believed we would win. It was only when I went to buy our next tickets online that I realised we’d won.

“I thought the website couldn’t be right and asked my girlfriend, ‘does that say what I think it says?’

“We sat there for 15 minutes looking at it in disbelief before we started calling around and more and more keepers started turning up.

“When it was confirmed over the phone, we all cheered and hugged each other and there were a few tears. I think it’s fair to say none of us slept that night.

“I still think it’s an intricate and well-planned joke, but I’m really pleased for everyone. It’s nice to be able to share the happiness with people I’ve worked with for a long time.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-zoo-workers-scoop-5776976