Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627658 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1005 on: December 25, 2015, 12:42:23 am »
I believe it's called a cold Moon when it looks like that Hugo.

Merry Christmas to you and all our readers.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1006 on: December 26, 2015, 03:27:51 pm »
Thanks Blongb for that info,  I didn't see the cold moon rising on Christmas Day though as I was just trying to get dry after taking my dog out for a walk in the driving rain.
It's been a few years since we had a white Christmas but our dog was quite happy in it and at least I didn't get wet then

Hope that you and everyone on the forum had a good Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1007 on: December 30, 2015, 03:29:57 pm »
What a night it was with last night's gale,the  windows and tiles were rattling and the bird feeders and metal garden furniture were  all blown over.  What more could happen?
Well it's bin day tomorrow, so we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1008 on: January 01, 2016, 12:12:59 pm »
Yesterday afternoon, I was walking my dog Marco near where I live and I had a very pleasant surprise.   A car stopped and it was ME and his wife and they had recognised my dog from photos I had posted on the forum.
We had a nice conversation and it was really good to see them both looking so well after they had had such a traumatic year for the pair of them.
Thanks ME for going to the time and trouble to stop and talk to me, it's very much appreciated and I'd like to wish you both a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1009 on: January 01, 2016, 01:14:50 pm »
Thanks Hugo, great to meet you in real life, I saw your dog and thought that must be Marco taking Hugo for a walk lol! Thankfully things are a lot better for us now, a verry happy new year to you too Hugo!   D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #1010 on: January 01, 2016, 02:31:47 pm »
That's good to hear ME. I was wondering how you both were.
When I am walking around in the Three Towns area I am always imagining if that is so and so from the forum.
Glad the dog gave it way for you and Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1011 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »
The Promenade stretch at Old Colwyn has been closed this week and I'm not surprised with the winds and high tides.
Today wasn't particularly rough but I wouldn't like to be there when it was rough.

Offline Neil

« Reply #1012 on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
High tide yesterday at Colwyn Bay.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1013 on: January 15, 2016, 07:16:16 pm »
Now that's what I'd call a rough sea,  you'd deserve a hot coffee in Bryn's Skip after being out in that weather.  Great photos Neil   $good$

Offline alw

« Reply #1014 on: January 16, 2016, 11:24:22 am »
After 2 years of research and planning the Eirias Park lake will be restored using a £44,000 grant from WREN.

The boating lake in Parc Eirias Colwyn Bay is to be regenerated with a cash investment of £44,055 from funding body WREN.

The grant, awarded by WREN’s FCC Community Action Fund, will pay for draining the lake and clearing the weeds and debris; installing weed inhibiting equipment to help keep it clear in the future; create an environmental area to the southern end of the lake with the silt from within the lake; and create a reed bed habitat that can be left to grow and develop naturally.

Caroline Jones, Leisure Development Officer for Conwy County Borough Council believes the investment in the facility will make a huge difference to the potential for the community to use the lake.

A number of community groups including Colwyn Bay Model Boat Club, Colwyn Canoe Club and Colwyn Watersports have expressed an interest in using the lake once the project is completed.   With the water free of weed growth, there will be an ideal environment for model boats, canoes and sailing vessels to operate.  Aside from the sporting potential, the rejuvenation of the lake will also make the area look better.

Cllr Graham Rees, Conwy’s Cabinet Member for Tourism, Marketing and Leisure said, “It’s fantastic that the project has been awarded this grant by WREN.  These improvements to the boating lake will help towards achieve our objective to establish and develop a variety of family activities in Parc Eirias."

WREN is a not-for-profit business that awards grants for community, biodiversity and heritage projects from funds donated by FCC Environment through the Landfill Communities Fund.

Meleri Jones WREN Grant Manager says: “This enhancement will make a great difference to the lake, which is an important feature of the park. We look forward to seeing the project being delivered.”

The work should be completed by Easter and is the first stage of a regeneration of Eirias Park.

Eventually the model boat club will move here from it's existing lake behind the Civic Offices.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
When I went past the Skip at Porth Eirias today I noticed that the two wind turbines were not working.  Someone I spoke to on the beach thought one of them had been out of action for a while.
Does anyone know whether there is a problem with the two turbines?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1016 on: March 02, 2016, 04:58:04 pm »
High tide was due in about an hour's time when I took these photos but I didn't hang about because the weather was closing in.    It's bin day in Colwyn Bay tomorrow and with winds of 40 mph forecast my bins can stay put until the morning.   

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2016, 09:24:15 am »
When I went past the Skip at Porth Eirias today I noticed that the two wind turbines were not working.  Someone I spoke to on the beach thought one of them had been out of action for a while.
Does anyone know whether there is a problem with the two turbines?
I've not seen them working for the past 6 months, at least. Is anyone really surprised? They're probably maintained by the same people who look after CCBC's water features....  :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1018 on: March 11, 2016, 03:23:13 pm »
Yesterday and today have been beautiful sunny days and it was nice to see people sitting out by the Kiosks on the promenade making the most of the good weather.
It was a complete contrast to Wednesday with its rough seas and gale force winds.  We were sitting in the comfort of The Toad and watching either a very brave or a complete nutter,  kite surfing just off the shoreline and not too far from where that 30 foot boat had been pounded against the rocks a bit earlier.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1019 on: March 11, 2016, 10:30:06 pm »
 I,ve been away for some time so I cannot speak about what has gone on since Novembe. But the two wind towers at Porth Eirias were stopped early last year so that Scottish power contractors could connect them to the national grid and pay for the excess power produced by them. This was not a simple job at all. I am sure many of you remember the traffic lights on the prom which existed for months. Below ground cabling had to run from the towers all the way to an existing substation close to the site of the old Colwyn Bay hotel, close to The Toad. This took an age, plus a smaller substation on the Porth Eirias had to be constructed. This was all done by subcontractors. One a local experienced local contractor from Llysfaen. Obviously the towers could not run whilst this was being done. But that didn't really matter. The cost of the lost power to the at that time empty site was just a few coppers. The work appeared externally to be completed by the end of September. What has happened since then I don't know.