Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626989 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1110 on: July 20, 2016, 02:52:01 pm »
Thanks very much for letting me know about that Stan.   I did send the photo off but thought no more about it and of course missed  out seeing it on Derek's lunchtime forecast.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1111 on: July 20, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »
See the devastation at Colwyn Bay house after flames rip through roof

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/see-devastation-colwyn-bay-house-11641086

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1112 on: July 21, 2016, 12:38:58 pm »
See the devastation at Colwyn Bay house after flames rip through roof

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/see-devastation-colwyn-bay-house-11641086

I had a walk up to Cedar Park and it was the first house in the grounds that was on fire.   It's caused extensive damage but thank goodness no one was hurt.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1113 on: August 02, 2016, 03:43:47 pm »
Colwyn Bay library has succumbed to the new layout trend for public libraries, typically referred to as "one-stop shop". Of course, I'm all for providing various functions and services, but I wish the designers of these new-style layouts would realise that a "creche" and a library are two distinct functions. Putting them together in the same space (with no separation) kind of defeats one of the original main purposes of public libraries (a haven of peace and quiet, enabling you to read/concentrate).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1114 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:08 am »
The Sun was doing its best to break out from behind the clouds this morning at 7.30am when I took the photo. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1115 on: August 03, 2016, 11:00:29 pm »
My wife and I were watching the BBC Wales news on TV this evening and at the end of the news Derek Brockway presented the weather forecast for Wales and she recognised the view on the TV.    It was the photo I had taken this morning and  I had forgotten to tell her that I had sent it off  to the BBC.
It was nice seeing it this time as I had had missed seeing one on before.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1116 on: August 04, 2016, 08:04:29 pm »
Well done Hugo, fame at last! It was a super photo.
My sister once saw one of my sunrise photos on the weather forecast on the Victoria Derbyshire but I didn't see it.
Still a mini claim to fame though!   ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1117 on: August 04, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
You have taken some great photos of sunrises and sunsets Hollins,  did you post a photo of the one that appeared on the Victoria Derbyshire?

Offline hollins

« Reply #1118 on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:16 pm »
Yes. It was the second photo on the reply number 1688 in Three Towns Coffee Centre.
Page 113 in February.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1119 on: August 05, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
I've just looked at the photo and it's really beautiful with all those colours, I  just wish that I could get up early enough to see something as nice as that.
Your photo on the next page of the Swiss Rosti with Bacon and Cheese looked delicious, hope that it tasted as nice as it looked.     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2016, 10:37:59 pm »
It has been a pleasant day in Colwyn Bay today and from my home the visibility across the sea has been excellent.
This morning the views to Cumbria and across to the Wirral Peninsula have been crystal clear and later on in the late afternoon the Isle of Man and Ireland have been really good.
The first photo was taken looking over the Little Orme to Ireland.    The Isle of Man is not in the picture but was to the right of the land you can see.
The sunset was taken from my balcony later this evening

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1121 on: August 22, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
Colwyn Bay’s Eirias Park lost Conwy council (Tax payers) close to £1m this last year.
The venue - which has hosted concerts from megastars such as Elton John and Lionel Richie, lost £939,000 - around £160,000 more than expected.? ?
The council has now drafted in a troubleshooter to help boost income and cut costs.

The figures were outlined in a report to Conwy County Council’s Principal Overview and Scrutiny Committee, although council officers believe the complex is of economic benefit to the region overall.

Eirias Park posted a deficit of £939,332 in 2015/2016 despite hosting superstar Elton John and pop band The Vamps in June 2016, attracting 20,000 paying fans.
The anticipated loss for the year was a little less than £778,000.

MORE and Comments   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-eirias-park-complex-11779999

Interesting but expected comments below article...........

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1122 on: August 22, 2016, 01:54:35 pm »
That phrase "council officers believe the complex is of economic benefit to the region" hides a multitude of sins. It probably is for the hotel and catering industries certainly, and they presumably pay Council tax and are helped to survive by the events, thus creating more for the council's coffers. But getting the precise figures in regard to the big picture is almost certainly impossible, so I'm unsure how anyone can make the claim they do.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1123 on: August 22, 2016, 02:17:42 pm »
Many years ago, I assisted with the creation of a 'rivers trust' to help restore the natural habitat of a counties rivers. At a Rivers Trust convention I attended, there was a fascinating and well researched paper presented that conclusively showed that each salmon caught on Scottish rivers was worth £2,400 to the local economy. The researchers had interviewed several hundred visiting anglers who had completed comprehensive questionnaires, and the results showed that many came with none-fishing family or spouses, all stayed in hotels or lodges, ate in restaurants, purchased gifts, hired cars, brought petrol etc. As a result, the rivers habitat was invested in, fish stocks increased, Scottish salmon fishing was promoted internationally and the tourism expenditure input into the local economies increased exponentially. 

As Ian says, precise figures for this sort of benefit are impossible to obtain, but Scottish tourism gained a proven massive increase with investment in the Salmon rivers. Surf Snowdonia, Zip World, Eirias Park and other local attractions all contribute collateral income to the local economy, but precisely how much can only be generalised. Whether the cost benefits of Eirias Park are worth a 'loss-leader', is difficult to establish, but I suspect that attendees visit and return concert venues without putting a significant benefit into the local economy.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1124 on: August 22, 2016, 03:14:33 pm »
CCBC must be concerned if they have brought in a "Troubleshooter to help boost income and cut costs." lets hope they have found someone with experience in performance management skills.

They could always offset the losses, from the profits made by Venue Cymru and Porth Eirias.