Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 33252 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Public Transport
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:01 am »
Seems it was all a false alarm:

A POLITICIAN has made a blunder following a report he released last week in which he claimed the future of Arriva Trains Wales’s Sunday Conwy Valley rail service was in doubt.

Aled Roberts, the Liberal Democrat AM for North Wales, said: “I asked the Welsh Government to confirm whether there will be a Sunday service on the Conwy Valley railway when the new timetable comes into effect next May.
“The new timetables have recently become available. There is no mention of the three train services between Llandudno Junction and Blaenau Ffestiniog every Sunday from May to early September and the replacement bus service during the winter months has also been left out.

“I submitted a question to the minister for communities, Carl Sargeant, asking him to explain why the new Arriva Trains Wales timetable shows no Sunday service on the Conwy Valley railway.”

But it seems Mr Roberts must have misread his timetable, because this week Arriva Trains Wales confirmed there have never been any plans to withdraw the Summer Sunday services on the Conwy Valley line.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2012/01/19/arriva-trains-wales-confirm-the-conwy-valley-sunday-service-is-safe-despite-concerns-by-lib-dem-am-aled-roberts-55243-30151074/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:15 pm »
Due to essential engineering work, buses will replace all trains between Rhyl and Holyhead and Blaenau Ffestiniog to Llandudno on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th January, 2012.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:56 pm »
Not a sight you see every day, the no. 14 bus being towed away along the Prom. There was a large pool of oil in the bus stop by M & Co. I suspect the two facts may be connected...  :laugh:

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »
or was it parked on double yellows?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:28 pm »
After many years, the No. 73 'Llandudno Local' bus service has ended. Residents of the Great Orme should note that the service has been replaced a slimmed down No.19 service, basically an extension of the current Betws Y Coed-Llandudno service, details/timetable to be found here:

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=13826

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:30 am »
THOUSANDS more seats for rail passengers are to be introduced after a surge in commuters using trains.

Enhanced services on popular Arriva Trains Wales routes across the region will start from May 14.

In total the train operator is looking to introduce more than 340,000 extra seats a year on its rail services in Wales and English Borders from next month.

Train services will be reorganised for better efficiency to link up with Holyhead ferry times, in some cases the number of carriages will be doubled, and extra trains added.

Figures for Wrexham General Station, Ruabon and Chirk, have shown a massive growth in passenger use between 2002 and 2010.

Wrexham General usage has grown 60% from 364,267 to 584,176; Ruabon 150% from 28,470 to 71,346 and Chirk 78% from 31,532 to 56,310.

In addition, through re-phasing of maintenance schedules, ATW said it was gearing up to provide further increased capacity for the major events occurring during the year. These will include the Olympics events in Cardiff and the Royal Welsh Show at Builth Wells which overlap this summer.

Seasonal increases in the number of services and seating capacity during the summer holiday travel peak will also be a welcome addition company chiefs said.

Mike Bagshaw, Commercial Director at Arriva Trains Wales, said: “Arriva Trains Wales remains committed to the enhancement of services above and beyond our franchise commitments.”

Johnstown councillor Dave Bithell said: “I have been campaigning for a long time for better services and this is welcome news.”

For any service changes visit www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk.

Improvements....

13.09 Birmingham International to Holyhead Increased carriages.

15.09 Birmingham International to Holyhead Increased carriages.

17.30 Holyhead to Shrewsbury Increased carriages. Revised afternoon departures from Holyhead The 15.23 and 16.38 departures will be re-timed to 15.44 and 16.50.15.44 Holyhead to Birmingham International Faster service.16.35 Llandudno Junction to Chester Additional service. Increased carriages.

Revised afternoon departures from Holyhead The 15.23 and 16.38 departures will be re-timed to 15.44 and 16.50.15.44 Holyhead to Birmingham International Faster service.16.35 Llandudno Junction to Chester Additional service.The 15.23 and 16.38 departures will be re-timed to 15.44 and 16.50.

15.44 Holyhead to Birmingham International Faster service.

16.35 Llandudno Junction to Chester Additional service. Additional service.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/04/03/a-third-of-a-more-million-seats-for-rail-users-in-wales-55578-30679766/

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:53 am »
Let's say one unit holds 100 people.  It does 20 trips a day.  That's 2,000 extra "seats".  It works 6 days a week so we are now up to 12,000 extra seats.  If it works 250 days (allowing for maintenance etc) a year that is  500,000 "extra seats" a years. Perhaps my maths is wrong but it looks to me as we are getting one additional unit. I thought spin was just a politician's preserve.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:11 am »
That's quite possibly true, but even one extra unit can make quite a difference! I remember the time I was waiting at Bangor station last year with at least 50 other people and a 2 car 175 turned up that was already packed to the gunnels, even to the extent of there being a mountain of luggage in each vestible that had to be literally climbed over to get into the standing room only carriage. It was worse than Indian Railways! One extra carriage on that train would have made all the difference.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:18 pm »
After many years, the No. 73 'Llandudno Local' bus service has ended. Residents of the Great Orme should note that the service has been replaced a slimmed down No.19 service, basically an extension of the current Betws Y Coed-Llandudno service, details/timetable to be found here:

That probably explains why I saw a No. 25 (rather than a No. 73) travelling down Clarence Road towards Liddell Drive in C-y-D this afternoon

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Arriva stopping return fares on buses
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »
Don't use buses too often if I can help it, as not only are they well over priced but round here they are about as reliable as England's defence  L0L

But got on the bus this morning to get a return to Conwy Morfa - normally £3.80 and was told they no longer do returns! So it'll be two singles at £2.50 each! What a disgrace - I also have no doubt this will probably lose the company even more money - as today I decided to walk back weather and all! And sometimes I'll buy a return only to be offered a lift back and thus waste the extra £1.30 fare I've paid.. sure I won't be the only one.

I have no idea how Arriva can justify suddenly putting their fares up by almost a third whilst cutting back services but I'd be interested to hear - wonder if it's anything to do with the Assembly's bright idea of  giving free fares to pensioners?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Arriva stopping return fares on buses
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
You obviously don't use them very often - return fares were scrapped on the 1st April!

The reason is that WG have cut the Public Transport Grant, leaving Arriva no option but to increase fares to fill the financial gap.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:15 pm »
Good date for it! :o

If I do use the bus I often have to get a day ticket anyway as most journeys require at least 2 buses

The last time I used them on a Sunday to get from Llandudno - to Llysfaen to Conwy and back again I think it was something like 10 buses altogether  &shake&

I'd be surprised if they make the revenue they need - I work at a place with over a hundred people and I know of about 3 or 4 who use the bus - the reasons being in the main the unreliability and lack of buses and the second being cost.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »
To be fair, the main services like the 5 to Bangor/Caernarfon (every 15 mins during the day) and the 12 Llandudno-Rhyl (every 12 mins during the day) I find to be very reliable. Anyone using the buses regularly would surely get a monthly pass at £56.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 12:40:13 am »
The notoriously unreliable No19 Gt Orme bus which I use regularly is now £1.40 to get me into town.
Of course I am usually the only one paying it, as all the passengers are pensioners who ride for free.

A taxi, door to door and available when I want it, is £2.20

I believe that this is known as a no brainer.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 11:07:28 am »
Llwynon Rd to town = £1.40!!!  :o
Valar Morghulis