Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 33270 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Public Transport
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2014, 06:09:35 pm »
Re the Bryn y Bia Road buses, Arriva wanted to run the 12 along this section throughout the day but there were objections from residents - supported by some politicians - hence the scheme for the new layout at the top of Bryn y Bia Road.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »
According to BBC Wales News, a new railway station has been opened at Pyle Corner (near Newport) at a cost of £3.5 million funded by
the Welsh and UK Governments using taxpayers' money.  Darren Millar AM was campaigning for one to serve Kinmel Bay/Towyn.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 10:01:27 am »
The Tories and capitalists will be frothing but why is it ok to run a theatre non profit (actually at a big loss) that people decide to go to for a bit of a jolly, but not ok to run railways that people need to get to work and about?
I think its perfectly fine to run the railway network on a public ownership basis as long as it is done properly. British Rail was a good example of how not to do it properly. Looking at it objectively, rail services and stations are far better now in North Wales under private operation than they were in the BR days. Biggest problem at the moment is the shortage of rolling stock; if the WG could remember that a place called 'North Wales' exists and pay out for some WG owned trains/carriages to upgrade passenger capacity, then we wouldn't have scenes reminiscent of a third world country on a fairly regular basis:

An overcrowded train was so packed that six passengers were forced to sit in the driver’s cab, scores more were forced to stand and 150 others turned away because there was no room for them. Arriva Trains Wales apologised after they were blasted by passengers on the 09:23 from Holyhead, which set off for Birmingham with only two carriages.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/arriva-accused-massive-rail-fail-8353293

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:38 am »
I've long thought the unique nature of the railway really means it should be regarded more as a social service than a profit-making company. In a sense, the existence of the hugely impressive track coverage we had in the '60s was more of a national heritage cultural infrastructure than a mere transport system. Yes - there were lines that were lucky to see a single passenger on some days, but they did provide an invaluable means of keeping communities in touch with one another.

And now, all across the UK, they're talking about reopening tracks, relaying disused tracks and creating new tracks. One example is that - perhaps unbelievably - there's no way to get a direct train from Liverpool to Llandudno. But there used to be and the old track still exists.  It's called the Halton Curve, and they've been discussing its restoration for some time.

But one thing's worth remembering: over the years (well, certainly from as far back as 1963) Tory policy has been determined by those who stood to gain (financially) the most. It still astonishes me that the owner of the biggest road haulage group in the UK was responsible for decimating the railways - an action which has now returned to haunt them all.

We don't learn. Ever.  We keep letting the same cronyism run rampant in the political sphere.

On the other hand , I do know that one major issue for the train network has been passenger expectation on safety. Maintaining the track has always been an extraordinarily expensive business, so that has to fall to government, I think. The other side of the coin, of course, is that with anything government-owned the expectations can be unreasonable, so I do concede the case for denationalisation. But AFAIK no country in the world has managed to have a railway network which is entirely free from government subsidy.

There's another aspect to nationalisation. The Unions are always aware that when something is entirely government owned, any industrial action on their part will reflect badly on the party in power at that time.  I always prefer a compromise, with the government owning 50% of the shares, which often then sees the best of both worlds.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 11:38:18 am »
The government don't like to admit it but Network Rail was as good as renationalised earlier this year.
All they need to do now is take back the rest as each franchise runs out and it will cost them hardly anything to get it all back!
Valar Morghulis

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
We keep letting the same cronyism run rampant in the political sphere.

How very true.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2014, 12:07:00 pm »
At PMQ's the House is like a ginormous aviary with many MPs twittering away on their mobile phones!
What a way to run the Country?   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 12:59:04 pm »

There's another aspect to nationalisation. The Unions are always aware that when something is entirely government owned, any industrial action on their part will reflect badly on the party in power at that time.  I always prefer a compromise, with the government owning 50% of the shares, which often then sees the best of both worlds.

Agreed. Works well in France. As do the Unions who are much more effective over there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 02:46:18 pm »
I was just reading the Weekly News and saw that AM Janet Haworth thinks that 'old trains' are the main problem with the railways in North Wales. Unless shes travelling on the Conwy Valley line, I think she may find that the rest of the trains are no older than any others on the UK network.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 11:16:01 am »
Maybe this is what she referred to, but as stated it does not apply on the North Wales Coast main line.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
Why doesn't it apply on the North Wales Coast main line?
Valar Morghulis

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
"Why doesn't it apply on the North Wales Coast main line?"

Younger rolling stock operate on the North Wales main line, the older trains tend to operate around Cardiff and Valley areas of South Wales.

The main stay of Arriva Trains Wales fleet in North Wales are Class 175 entered service in 2000 and class 158 entered service 1989/92.
A complete refurbishment programme to provide the Class 158s with full 'as new' interiors took place between December 2010/2012

Virgin operate Class 221 entered service 2001/2 on there North Wales to London services.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »
I know exactly what trains serve North Wales. You forgot to mention the class 150 & 153's dating from the mid eighties and the class 67 locos from 2000 pulling coaches & a DVT from the mid eighties. Taking those into account would still put the North Wales coast into the bottom half of the table.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:37 am »
I see the Conwy Valley railway line is needing massive work to get it back into operation after floods in December. It provides a fantastic service to both residents and visitors alike, but I'm wondering how long Network Rail will be prepared to throw what must be millions at it every year to repair continual flood damage?

"Conwy Valley line had 1,200 tonnes of material removed from railway during repair work. The track between Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog was shut last year after rain and floods damaged it in more than 100 separate locations."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-valley-line-1200-tonnes-10865845

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:15 am »
Amazing how much work it needs, must make a loss every year? I plan to go on it more often when my bus pass arrives, just applied for it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas