Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 621820 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »
Today's focus is on the Black Lion in Castle Street, Conwy, an eyesore that is all the worse for the fact it is one of the oldest buildings in the town, dating back to 1589! It's been a mess for about 10 years or more now, although plans are being prepared by the Anglesey based owner to actually do something with it. Until work starts though, it's staying on the list! My mind boggles that such a fantastic building in a great location can have been left empty and uncared for, for so long.

The Black Lion
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

History of the Black Lion (taken from my blog) follows:

Black Lion (Y Llew Du), built in 1589 by John Brickdall, Vicar of Conwy (1569-1607); his initials and those of his wife appear over the door together with the date 1589 (they were married on the 10th May 1589).  Brickdall's father was the Constable of Conwy Castle at the time of construction and later died of the plague.

The building was turned into the Black Lion Inn in the 1700s; a usage that continued for over 200 years (it was also the venue for the popular Monday morning Pig Market) until the 15th March 1935, when falling trade made it unviable. It then had a variety of uses, including tearooms and an antique bookshop, until it became empty in the 1990s when its condition deteriorated sharply due to dry rot. The exterior was renovated a few years back and it was then sold but no work appears to have been carried out since the sale - I believe the interior is just a shell. I just wish somebody would renovate it and bring it back into use- its a lovely old building, full of character, and in a prime spot on Castle Street.

A local artist, Jean Morgan Roberts, was born in the Black Lion and, in her book 'The Character of Conwy', she says "I grew up in the wonderful old atmosphere of the house with its secret passages, a cellar reputed to have an escape tunnel that led to the quay, a well, stables, stone steps to the town walls, a tower, Elizabethan fireplaces and a beautiful walled garden." You can visit her website here.

A local guidebook states that the building has two ghosts; one being an elderly gentleman who often sits beside the large fireplace in what was once the pub's parlour (see interior photo below), smiling to himself and nodding benignly. A former proprietor stated that 'he's a nice old fellow and we've got used to him and take his appearances for granted'.

The other ghost is quite the opposite, described as being a 'tall person in a cloak', bringing with him a 'feeling of malevolence' as he haunts the upper floor of the building. A former employee stated that 'he's a real fierce character...he has rocked the bed, frightening many a sleeping person, striking terror in the dead of night". Fortunately, the second ghost is very rarely seen!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:35 pm »
A touch outside Conwy, I know, But I hear that the Red Lion pub at Tyn Y Groes has closed down.  :(

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:36:29 pm »
Don't know why I always seem to have something to write about when a pub comes into the forum!!! But, there you are. The Red Lion, Tyn y Groes. Ive known this from the outside for not far off 70 years, but I had never crossed its doorstep until about 12 months ago. No reason, it just didnt happen. I was a trifle surprised when the landlord greeted me and obviously knew me well. I struggled---but, slowly, I guessed who he was, no connection with the immediate area. And I immediately thought to myself, well, hes alright in small doses but as a Landlord? Until say ten or twelve years ago he would'nt have had a chance. Even as a customer, well, maybe a chance.  I think that says it all for the present day pub business  Mike

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »
It's on the weekend of the 23/24 October. There is a website at www.conwyfeast.co.uk but it doesnt seem to be working for me at present.
Nice one, but step away from the chocolate fountain lol
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Tillymint

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:51 pm »
According to local gossip, the Albion has been bought by the Conwy Brewery. If true I hope they will keep the old bar.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 02:32:36 pm »
the Albion has been bought by the Conwy Brewery.
If it is Gwyn thats bought it, he will keep the bar I'm sure. He always used to comment on it when he came in.  I'll be made up if it him as he will keep the pub as it is,

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »
That is good news.  Z**

I went past the Mailcoach yesterday and it all looked very quiet. One half of the front door was boarded up too.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »
That is good news.  Z**

Not sure who's taking that over. The window was smashed in the door before it shut. I've always liked the Mailcoach.  Can get really busy there and did have a good crowd of regulars when Kevin Mcardle and Dave were landlords. Relies heavily on food sales, thats the way forward with the Mail.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »

The Conwy Feast website still doesn't seem to be working, I know it is on Oct 23/24th but not much else e.g. where the stalls will be situated etc. never having been to it before!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:55 pm »

The Conwy Feast website still doesn't seem to be working, I know it is on Oct 23/24th but not much else e.g. where the stalls will be situated etc. never having been to it before!
Stalls are along the quay, on the square and up the high street, you have to pay £5 for the day to enter most of the tents. Everything from tutorials to a champagne and Oyster tent, You can even see Tree dressing ( not sure what this mind) its an excellent weekend and well worth a visit.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »
I understand that there will also be stalls on the Vicarage Car Park as well as the areas decribed by Pendragon..
It is normally squeezed into the Station Car Park, but this year that have had agreement to use the Vicarage Car Park.

The River Taxi will I'm sure be running and hence you could park in Deganwy or at Conwy Beacons and get the taxi.
The River Taxi phone number is 07512 218003 (worth checking availability prior to making your way).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 01:13:55 pm »
Not strictly Conwy related but...I saw today that Punch Taverns are selling up to 1,800 of their pubs. I'm wondering which ones locally they own?

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:43 pm »
the Albion has been bought by the Conwy Brewery.
If it is Gwyn thats bought it, he will keep the bar I'm sure. He always used to comment on it when he came in.  I'll be made up if it him as he will keep the pub as it is,

That is indeed good news. I know rumours have been flying for months that perhaps he and another brewery were going to buy it but it never went through. If he's finally made a deal with punch then we all benefit. The Albion was my local until it closed!

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 04:06:18 pm »
Not strictly Conwy related but...I saw today that Punch Taverns are selling up to 1,800 of their pubs. I'm wondering which ones locally they own?

Apparently all of Punch's taverns are available for offers! The Punch taverns in Conwy (to the best of my knowledge) are Albion, Blue Bell and Mail Coach.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 04:57:14 pm »
I'm wondering which ones locally they own?
In Conwy they own Albion Vaults, Blue Bell and George and Dragon. Glan Conwy its the Estuary, Llandudno Junction, they own the Killer, I was told they own the Maelgwyn too but I don't think thayts right. Llandudno its The Gresham and the Alex as far as I'm aware.