Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625749 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »
Yeah, sorry to see that. At least Alfredos is open though we can still get an excellent steak  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »
I loved the food in Bistro Bach, It means a round trip to Betws-y-Coed now, so I shan't be eating their so often
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »
Fight to save Conwy Civic Hall from closure goes on
Jan 20 2011 by Mari Jones, North Wales Weekly News

CAMPAIGNERS trying to save the Civic Hall in Conwy from closure have set up a community interest company.

The company has been established so that, if the campaign is successful and Conwy County Council agrees to transfer the lease of the hall to the group, the company will be in an immediate position to apply for external grant funding for future developments.

The campaign to save the hall is going well, and campaigners have been pleasantly surprised by the level of support there is for the venue, which is set to close in March.

Conwy Council announced its plans in November to close the building, which houses the town’s library, and an upstairs auditorium with tiered seating for 240 people, as well as staging and dressing rooms.

“I’m amazed by the support we are getting from the public,” said Tony Franks, director of the campaign group.

“We are frequently stopped in the street by people outraged by the threat of the closure.”

Over 1,500 people have signed a petition to save it and the campaign group has called itself Ciwb Conwy Cube.

Tony explained: “Ciwb Conwy Cube is inspired by what many people consider the Civic Hall’s unattractive shape created by a 1960s extension.”

Conwy Council has entered into an agreement with an unnamed local developer looking at alternative uses for the site.

Sara Allardice, another Ciwb Conwy Cube member, said: “It’s really disappointing that the community wasn’t consulted first before the negotiations were agreed. That now means no further bookings can be taken for the hall.

“The agreement lasts until April and we don’t know what will happen after that.”

Sara explained what plans Ciwb Conwy Cube have for the hall, if they were successful in securing the venue.

“We will enable a diverse programme of entertainment in the hall, including drama, cinema, dance, exhibitions, festivals, comedy and music,” she said.

The group says it is very pleased that Conwy Council is making an exception to the “no new bookings” rule and allowing Ciwb Conwy Cube to hold meetings there.

The next public meeting of Ciwb Conwy Cube is on Tuesday, February 1 at 7.30pm in Conwy Civic Hall. All interested welcome. For more log on to www.saveconwycivichall.blogspot.com or e-mail info@conwycivichall.org.uk

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/01/20/fight-to-save-conwy-civic-hall-from-closure-goes-on-55243-28015715/

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:42 pm »
I don't beleve it. I've just recieved an email from a lady called Jo Hale from Enterprise Inns reguarding the Mail Coach. It seems the couple who have only been there a matter of weeks are leaving now! Such a shame it's a nice pub. The problem is these pub-cos insist on lease terms. Its £19,000 + £23,000 for yearly rent. I read earlier on the net that Enterprise are putting over 20 pubs in Wales up for auction, the way the Mail Coach is going it could well be included.  Also the Cross Keys in Llandudno. The lads from the town house are just filling in there apparently. The only way to make any money from pubs nowadays is to buy freehold. Please take my advise, do not enter into a lease with any pub co owned pub. You will lose your money I promise, complete and utter waste of time. If you want a pub, buy it freehold, those that have are the only premises benefitting at the moment. You have tremendous buying power and can get some fantastic deals.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »
We were hoping to go to the Bistro Bach soon so it was disappointing to see that it had closed.  It was always full when we went there and the meals were delicious so I hope that it does open again soon. If anyone hears about it reopening can they post it up here please.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
I don't beleve it. I've just recieved an email from a lady called Jo Hale from Enterprise Inns reguarding the Mail Coach. It seems the couple who have only been there a matter of weeks are leaving now! Such a shame it's a nice pub. The problem is these pub-cos insist on lease terms. Its £19,000 + £23,000 for yearly rent. I read earlier on the net that Enterprise are putting over 20 pubs in Wales up for auction, the way the Mail Coach is going it could well be included.  Also the Cross Keys in Llandudno. The lads from the town house are just filling in there apparently. The only way to make any money from pubs nowadays is to buy freehold. Please take my advise, do not enter into a lease with any pub co owned pub. You will lose your money I promise, complete and utter waste of time. If you want a pub, buy it freehold, those that have are the only premises benefitting at the moment. You have tremendous buying power and can get some fantastic deals.
It must have been those silver patio chairs that did it!  :o

I would add the caveat on buying a pub that it must be freehold, have some sort of outside area (ideally a garden) and have a decent food business. Otherwise, you're going to be treading water, at best.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2011, 06:37:21 pm »
We were hoping to go to the Bistro Bach soon so it was disappointing to see that it had closed.  It was always full when we went there and the meals were delicious so I hope that it does open again soon. If anyone hears about it reopening can they post it up here please.

I heard a rumour whilst out for dinner last night that the previous owners, the people who also have a place in Betws, are considering taking it on again. Great news if they do.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »
I see SuSus on Castle Street has closed down. Nice shop in a good location, won't stay empty for long:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2011, 01:00:48 am »
I hear the builders have been inside Conwy Police Station.  :D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2011, 11:09:54 am »
The Albion is up for auction offers over £90,000. It was cheap at £225,000. My views on the Albion have been written on here countless times so I'm not going to bang on about it don't panic. I just can't believe no one but me sees the potential in this fantastic building.

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Auction/Manchester/20110224

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2011, 11:15:40 am »
That's some reduction but only a guide price, of course. It could go for a lot more, a bit less or not sell at all. If it doesn't sell, someone could go in with an even lower offer. Worth noting that you also have to add VAT to 90% of the sale price!

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20110224/040

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »
I know how much Angie knows and loves The Albion.

I have to say that in all my years of visiting the local hostelries, The Albion was the one I could never bring myself to go in.

I was always aware of it, but it seemed to be shoved a little out of the way in Conwy.
Each time I passed by, it never really 'grabbed' me and said 'come in'

Location wise, it was the equivalent of The Snowdon in Llandudno to me.

However, If you buy it and re-open Angie, I promise to be in there on night ONE!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »
Yep I just need to win the lottery now.  You and Mrs Fester will be the first to be invited Mr Man.  I'm just gutted having lost £35,000 the first time round with Punch Taverns, I'm not in a financial position to do so at the moment. However what is meant to be and all that, You never know. (Mostly today I will be wandering round Conwy waiting for a black cat to cross my path)  :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:54 pm »
Presentation from Conwy Cube, a community group who are working to take over the Civic Hall:

http://www.conwycivichall.org.uk/2011-02-01-Ciwb-Presentation.pdf

££$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
Have a look on CAMRAS national inventory. Some fantastic photos of the interior of the Albion, just after I had gone.  It took over a week to strip down this door. Its absolutely beautiful.  Myself and a friend Ali Gugs took over 3 weeks to strip the bar and the back paneling. Behind the paneling (once the partition) on the back wall running towards the where the door has now been uncovered are the original tiles from the off sales side.

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/national-inventory-entry.asp?pubid=285
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:44:17 am by Pendragon »