Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625549 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:02 am »
Fascinating stuff, well done Angie! I look forward to hearing more.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:35 am »
Great stuff, Pen.  If this is all on paper, one of us can probably scan and extract the text, usng OCR, so we could save you a lot of time, if you're typing it out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2011, 08:43:44 am »
I have a scanner and can probably find some OCR software, so let me know if you want anything doing.  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:17 am »
I was sat here last night until 2am reading about Mr Smiths visit to Conwy 1833 he writes..............near the entrance (to the Castle) we were annoyed by a swarm of children who rushed out of the neighbouring houses begging for a "ha pence please ma'am" "a ha pence sair" words they were taught to utter in a whining tone which they continue repeating as long as they dare follow a party of strangers..........

and ............eight persons have been committed to Caernarfon gaol from the neighbourhood of Llandudno charged with plundering from the wreck of the Hornby, lost on the Great Ormshead. On 2nd January 1824.  They received sentences ranging from 12 months hard labour to imprisonment.  Fascinating reading.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:15 am »
Angie, there's a great book in the making here and you are the ideal person to write it  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2011, 10:23:54 am »
I am for once seriously thinking of it now.  The information and books Robs got are excellent.  He's even got all the caernarfon court listings and sentences from the 1800s.  I asked him why he had never wrote a book.  He said his father (the first head master of Aberconwy school) and himself had intended to do just that bur just never got round to it.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26:37 pm »
I'm sure you'd do a fantastic job. Any photos needed, of course, can be provided by me!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
Well, the news that every Conwy Pub Landlord has been dreading has arrived....

J D Wetherpoon are coming to town! It's rumoured they will be purchasing the Palace Bingo and that makes perfect sense, it's the only building of sufficent size for them. Comments by Cllr Joan Vaughan that they might buy the Albion are laughable - it is far too small for them even to consider.  :laugh:

A veritable Palace... by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »
Wethers have tried unsucessfully to buy buildings in Conwy in  the past.  They tried to buy Woolworths and it was also rumoured they were in the running for the police station.  Apparently the council refused both offers stating there was already enough pubs in Conwy.  It still would make no difference to the Albion it has an attraction of it's own.  It would make a big difference to al the others though.  I can't see the council approving another pub within the walls to be honest.

Wetherspoons have the financial muscle to do whatever they want. Their planning consultants can push through anything they want.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:06:29 pm by DaveR »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
As I started the daily trek with Socs today, I approached the "turret toilets" and there was some lads cutting all the ivy from the walls and another fixing the broken drainpipe.  The door was open and I couldn't resist sneaking up the stairs and taking some photos.  It bought back memories as I climbed the stairs.  It was bigger than I remember and it looks like the council have been using it for storage, they are in a state of disrepair but that's to be expected I suppose, they've been shut for years.  I was tempted to climb the ladder through the sky light but that's where the lads were so I didn't chance it.  
I was talking to a man from the council, he informed me that the turret actually belongs to them.  He said that the turret was never part of the castle and was built later?  He pointed out the difference in  the stone work at the side.  Dave maybe you can check that out, it seems plausible but why would they build such impressive toilets there?  Anyway all the work has been done now and that can only be a good thing.  Hopefully it's another brownie point to the forum.  Job done.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:30 pm »
Wethers have tried unsucessfully to buy buildings in Conwy in  the past.  They tried to buy Woolworths and it was also rumoured they were in the running for the police station.  Apparently the council refused both offers stating there was already enough pubs in Conwy.  It still would make no difference to the Albion it has an attraction of it's own.  It would make a big difference to al the others though.  I can't see the council approving another pub within the walls to be honest.

Wetherspoons have the financial muscle to do whatever they want. Their planning consultants can push through anything they want.
Bah...how can the Council refuse offers when they don't own the buildings? Wetherspoons have the financial muscle to push through any deal they want and the planning experts to ensure they receive permission.  ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2011, 07:02:32 pm »
As I started the daily trek with Socs today, I approached the "turret toilets" and there was some lads cutting all the ivy from the walls and another fixing the broken drainpipe.  The door was open and I couldn't resist sneaking up the stairs and taking some photos.  It bought back memories as I climbed the stairs.  It was bigger than I remember and it looks like the council have been using it for storage, they are in a state of disrepair but that's to be expected I suppose, they've been shut for years.  I was tempted to climb the ladder through the sky light but that's where the lads were so I didn't chance it.  
I was talking to a man from the council, he informed me that the turret actually belongs to them.  He said that the turret was never part of the castle and was built later?  He pointed out the difference in  the stone work at the side.  Dave maybe you can check that out, it seems plausible but why would they build such impressive toilets there?  Anyway all the work has been done now and that can only be a good thing.  Hopefully it's another brownie point to the forum.  Job done.
Excellent work in getting the inside pics!

The council guy was quite right, the turret was built when the Telford road and bridge was constructed - the only access through the walls in that area was the little pedestrian arch next to the Harbourmaster's office:

[smg id=668]

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
Y'see this is why I call you "the Oracle" Dave.  I wish I could have taken better pics.  It was really dark so was relying on the flash.   8)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:52 pm »
A photo of the Kelly the goose, not sure when it was taken.  Apparently he was a regular visitor to Llewelyns Fountain on the square, he was a popular goose that was famliar with all the locals.  Bless.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:37:00 pm by Pendragon »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
Great photo. Wasn't there also a famous Goose that lived down on the Quay at one time?