Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625941 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:05 am »
A lot of Warren Williams' work was reproduced on postcards,  he lived in Conwy and his original work is highly prized,

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2011, 07:52:29 am »
Whilst in Conwy yesterday with Pendragon, we noticed that the Grey Lady, the large derelict boat on the foreshore, had been patched up and there was a man working on board. He said that he had bought it and was going to restore it but it was going to be a long process.

brumbob

« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
Justin is missing. He had an argument with Les Battersby on the night. No one is saying Les is behind the disappearance, they're saying no one has seen Les either. Les has probably sculked off home? I hope the lad turns up safe and well. There are a lot of family and friends who are concerned.
My nephew saw Les Battersby in a Conwy pub today

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »
Yeah Les was in the pub the other day too. Someone apparently suggested he may have had something to do with the disappearance and les lost the plot (again).
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2011, 06:47:10 pm »
Yeah Les was in the pub the other day too. Someone apparently suggested he may have had something to do with the disappearance and les lost the plot (again).

I would have thought he would have "helped the Police with their inquiries" by now?

brumbob

« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »
Sherrie Hewson reveals secret attack by Coronation Street co-star
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1359070/Sherrie-Hewson-reveals-secret-attack-Coronation-Street-star.html#ixzz1EchNWjEf

I wonder who this co-star was?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2011, 05:04:18 pm »
Having walked round St Benedict's today, I decided to go and have a look round the St Agnes cemetery and see if I could find any other graves belonging to old landlords in Conwy (mainly because I was bored)  as I walked round, I noticed a little gateway which led to an older part of the cemetery.  I walked through the gate and was dismayed to find the state of the place.  There really is no excuse for this.  Most of the graves are completely covered in Ivy and brambles.  There was full grown trees growing out of some graves.  Disgraceful.  Some of the headstones are falling down.  This place has just been left for years and years with no maintenance whatsoever!  I understand that relatives of these people have long gone but it's a grave yard for gods sake. 
Mother nature is the only one trying to make this cemetery look nice as to be honest as I have never seen so many snowdrops and daffodils.
Another job for the "community service" team maybe.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2011, 05:11:24 pm »
Les was in the bar of the George and Dragon when we went in for a pub meal last night. Good tasty food and large portions.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »
Having walked round St Benedict's today, I decided to go and have a look round the St Agnes cemetery and see if I could find any other graves belonging to old landlords in Conwy (mainly because I was bored)  as I walked round, I noticed a little gateway which led to an older part of the cemetery.  I walked through the gate and was dismayed to find the state of the place.  There really is no excuse for this.  Most of the graves are completely covered in Ivy and brambles.  There was full grown trees growing out of some graves.  Disgraceful.  Some of the headstones are falling down.  This place has just been left for years and years with no maintenance whatsoever!  I understand that relatives of these people have long gone but it's a grave yard for gods sake. 
Mother nature is the only one trying to make this cemetery look nice as to be honest as I have never seen so many snowdrops and daffodils.

Good pics there, I know what you mean, however, I'll have to have a look there with my camera, looks very atmospheric, any angels there at all?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »
Maybe there is an arguement for burials in the ground to be stopped.   I visited a graveyard recently (in Portugal) where they are burying people in cubicles in a wall.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:44:24 pm by Yorkie »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2011, 07:20:38 pm »
There's free admission to Conwy Castle on Tuesday, 1st March (St Davids Day) courtesy of the Welsh Assembly Goverment. All other CADW sites will also be free admission on that day.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »
I explored in there last year, fascinating place. It also reminded me of the inscription on the gravestone of one Thomas Hughes, Riding Officer, who died on the 13th November 1818, aged 20 and is buried in St. Marys Churchyard, Conwy:

"A pale consumption gave the fatal blow;
The stroke was certain but the effect was slow;
With wasting pains Death found me long oppressed;
Pitied my sighs and kindly gave me rest"

Beautifully hand carved, too:

Death by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »
There's free admission to Conwy Castle on Tuesday, 1st March (St Davids Day) courtesy of the Welsh Assembly Goverment. All other CADW sites will also be free admission on that day.

Great, we can have a look there and the graveyard on Tuesday, I've not been in the castle for years, Thanks for telling us Dave  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:57 pm »
Yep,  nice one Dave.
That will save The Fester's a couple of quid too....

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »
erm...............I have a plan why don't we meet up and go there together.  I'm free