Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626005 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2011, 05:59:57 pm »
I love this little extract from the "History of the Caernarfonshire Constabulary" by J Owain Jones

........On one occasion in the 1920s the tramps in Conwy Workhouse went on strike.  They refused to do the tasks allotted to them in return for their board.  The police were called in and the tramps, nineteen of them, were sentenced to a months imprisonment, and taken to Walton Gaol, Liverpol in a bus specially hired for the purpose.  The town square of Conwy, where the police station is situated, was crammed with people who came to see them off.

You can imagine it can't you  *&(

Why don't tramps go on strike now or work to rule, they need a better union  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2011, 03:23:31 am »
Nah I don't think so Andy, the older locals have told me it was on the wall for as long as they could remember.  I saw a copy of it once in the Old Bistro Bach over the road.

very early pre war photoshop  L0L  the faces somehow look stuck on afterwards, if you know what i mean

Dave displayed this pic a while ago on another thread and I said the same thing.

It's obvious - especially this "Welsh Lady"

Offline Macclad

« Reply #362 on: March 22, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »
Can anyone on this site tell me anything about the private yacht in the attached picture,  I have boyhood memories of this smart little vessel moored in a line with other smaller boats as the family walked along the marine walk.   There were various rumours regarding her opwnership, the most popular being that it was a Liverpool Solicitor or Barrister.   The topic has been aired this month in the maritime magazine "Sea Breezes", and I would appreciate any help.

Yorkie

« Reply #363 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »
If you have the name of the vessel and its port of registration (normally on the stern) you can look it up on the Marine Register.  You may even manage to get more detail by Googling just the name.   ££$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:30 pm »
This subject has come up on the forum before, probably in the old Llandudno forum. I remember it well being moored there for very many years, maybe 1939-45 wartime or in the immediate postwar years, or both. It always had an air of mystery about it, no one knew anything (or would'nt say anything). We kids let our imaginations run wild!!! Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
A guess might be that the Yacht that once belonged to Mr. Albert Wood, the owner of Bodlondeb (then a mansion). He definitely had a large private Yacht that was moored in front of his home. Whether it is the same one as in the photo, I couldn't say. His Estate was sold in 1936 after he died.

The only info I could find about his yacht says the following - makes no sense to me but someone might know what it means:

Wood, Albert, I

Bodlondeb, Conway, North Wales.
Ang.-HigV~Mer.-St. G.-Tm8.-WeL

8. Falcon 16

8. Manya 148

Yorkie

« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2011, 11:24:43 am »
If you know the name of the ship and possible year of build try this search:
http://gsn.ncl.ac.uk/
Or this one
http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/ships_register.php

I have looked everywhere and found nothing else.  However, I believe that the vessel is an ex Admiralty Steam Pinnace that has been sypathetically restored and altered to suit the owner.  Looks very nice and I would have loved to have had a voyage in her.    D)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:11:38 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #367 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »
As young teenagers we thought of many possible scenarios. Gambling, take the boat to sea outside national limits, young ladies seen going on board, and later rich looking men, drinking alcohol on a Sunday (pubs of course all closed) Hitler hiding below decks. Thats just a few of our ideas for why it was there.

Offline Macclad

« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
Thank you everone who has responded to my query, it would seem, from some of the answers that your ideas are as wild as mine as to the possibilities.   The lack of a name is a great disadvantage, but I never did see any identification on it.  A suggestion from the enquiring source thought they had heard the name "Llys Selig" at one time but without confirmation, my feeling is that if that is so, it is more likely to be a mispronunciation of "Llys Helig".
Many thanks anyway for your input, if I find the truth I will report back.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »
I can remember a steamer being moored in that same area and it was there for months at a time. It was black and larger than the one in the photo and had at least one funnel, maybe more but I cannot remember it's name.
It moored there for years and I bet someone from the Conwy area will remember it too.

Yorkie

« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »
Here is an old picture of Conwy Quay.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »
Apparently a car has been parked in a 40-minute bay in Conwy since November!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-12865505

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »

Registered to an address in Cheshire but the owner cannot be traced. How odd?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:36 pm »

Registered to an address in Cheshire but the owner cannot be traced. How odd?

The report doesn't mention it, but in fact the car is not insured so why has it been left on a public road?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
In January I saw it plastered with fixed penalty notices .. then it seems they realised how stupid they were being.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -