Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626278 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »
Acording to the NWWN the Bistro Bach is reopening on 2nd April 2011.   It will be under the new name of Watson's Bistro and run by a local Chef Ian Watson who has been at the St Tudno's Hotel, Conwy Golf Club and Bodysgallen Hall so I'm looking forward to trying it out.     :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #391 on: March 29, 2011, 06:52:47 pm »
Don't forget......Hugo read it in the Weekly News first!  +}}{--

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #392 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:24 pm »
Today I went for a walk around the inside of St Mays Church in Conwy.  It really is beautiful, all the carved wood and stone work are clearly really old.  In one of the side rooms there was a picture that was painted in 1878 by an M Ravner so I took a picture of the church now as a comparison.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #393 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »
Apparently a car has been parked in a 40-minute bay in Conwy since November!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-12865505
Registered to an address in Cheshire but the owner cannot be traced. How odd?

I read the article again in the Daily Mirror and it refered to the car as having a valid tax disc, insurance and Mot certificate but if I know that the car is not insured so must the Police know   ???   so by not impounding the car now if the driver unexpectedly returns and drives it away they are in effect allowing him to commit a Road Traffic Offence.

Yorkie

« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »
Ignorance of the law is no defence!   It is up to the driver at all times to ensure that he is driving legally.    ¢¢##

Yorkie

« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:33 pm »
Can anyone on this site tell me anything about the private yacht in the attached picture,

I have contacted the magazine who have e-mailed me 2 plans of the vessel and the page of the magazine containing the article.  I will post them tomorrow from my main PC if they don't produce from my notebook.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:47 pm »
Good work, Yorkie!  $good$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
YACHTS Motor Motor Yacht Llys Helig Shipbldg & Shipg Ree vol 20 no 24 Dec 14 1922 pp 697 700 4 figs Built by John I Thornycroft & Co Ltd Southampton Eng fitted with two Kromhout semi Diesel engines length overall 107 ft 6 in breadth 19 ft depth 11 ft 2 in.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uX0PAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA673&lpg=PA673&dq=Kromhout+semi-diesel+Llys+helig&source=bl&ots=PaKPKWaAzA&sig=Yp97J0ZbLtCpMiuCP2dPDJaA0B8&hl=en&ei=xKCTTazqEY_EsAO6-om7BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Kromhout%20semi-diesel%20Llys%20helig&f=false

Yorkie

« Reply #398 on: March 31, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
Couple more details.

brumbob

« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:22 am »
Super sleuth  D)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »
Dec 7 2006 by Richard Evans, North Wales Weekly News

A CEMETERY will remain overgrown and unkempt because the church does not have the resources to maintain it.

The oldest part of the St Agnes Road churchyard currently lies beneath grass and brambles, while shrubs and trees obscure gravestones.

Litter is tangled in the undergrowth, and visiting mourners must wade through nettles and thorns just to stand beside the site where their loved ones lie.

The Church of Wales is responsible for the site, as when St Agnes Road Church, known as the “Tin Chapel”, was demolished, the graveyard was attributed to St Mary’s on Rosehill Street.

Conwy Town Council currently chooses to contribute toward the site, but legislation doesn't permit local authorities in Wales to pitch in, unlike in England.

St Agnes Graveyard is a place that has played on my mind since my first visit.  The main part of the site is maintained by the council.  Through a little gate to your left is the oldest part owned by St Marys Church.  I originally went to the graveyard looking for the old landlords of Conwys graves, of which there are many.  The majority of these graves date back to the early 1800s.  These were not the graves of the poor, some are made with marble and surrounded by ornate iron chains, others are tombs that accommodate whole families, there's large ornate obelisks adourning others. 
I'm not religious but the people who paid for these plots of land all those years ago clearly were.   You would not appreciate the state of the site until you have been there and seen it for yourself.  Some graves are almost completely obscured by huge bramble bushes, others have full grown trees growing from within them.  As you go through the first gate head down and take a look on the left hand side,  you can see that there are cavities of approximately 2 ft in places, almost completely disintegrated plots.  You'll have to be careful as there's a real risk of falling in and that doesn't bear thinking about.
As I've said I'm not religious but even I feel astounded by the total disrespect demonstrated here.  How can this be allowed to happen?  This is sacred land!   Surely St Marys has an obligation to maintain this land?  How much longer can it be left in this condition, after all the brambles and trees are still growing.  It won't be long before it will take nothing less than the prince from "Sleeping Beauty" to cut his way through the impenetrable thorns.
Conwy Town Council currently chooses to contribute toward the site, but legislation doesn't permit local authorities in Wales to pitch in .
If this is true, exactly what are the Council contributing towards?
I think the excuse of having no money to spend is just that, an excuse. The owners of this land should practice the respect they preach and get this sorted, one way or another or be forced to by the council.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2011, 12:54:47 pm »
The actual main access to the St Marys Churchyard is now closed and padlocked.  Entry can only be gained through the council side.
I couldn't help but laugh when I read their little sign. 
Disgraceful!

brumbob

« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »
disgusting, another reason to be cremated

Yorkie

« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2011, 01:33:37 pm »
disgusting, another reason to be cremated

I presume you mean the whole of Conwy County Council?     L0L

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »
I'd be quite happy to be thrown in a box and hoofed over a wall to be honest.  If these people could see the state of their last resting place they would probably share my sentiments I feel.