Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625684 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #435 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »
The Mail Coach looks much better after a coat of paint...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #436 on: April 16, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
Isn't that the sign Pendragon posted about last week?

Is it? I'd not seen it before. It's not on this thread, I don't think?   ???
I couldn't upload the pic from my phone for some unknown reason but it was posted I can't remember where now though?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: April 17, 2011, 08:17:41 am »
I remember it. 'Twas here

In North Wales and Weekly News
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #438 on: April 17, 2011, 11:52:32 am »
I noticed yesterday that the metal grid protecting the stained glass window on the side of the Albion had been removed.  This morning I went and had a closer look.  Two large panels of glass have been broken, though not recently.  The interior from what I could see is in a terrible state, mould covers the floor and seating, nobodies fault I know, a result of being left empty.  There must be a bad case of rising damp in the building, to be honest I know there's rising damp.  The cellar must be horrendous.  Nothing that can't be remedied mind.  I was told by a few different people that the Albion was actually sold for £70k, I have also been told it was bought by a builder, however the same story could have originated from the same source so it's not gospel.  I really hope it's not going to be flats but I am after all powerless to change any plans put forward by the owner.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #439 on: April 17, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »
How did you get inside?  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: April 17, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
How did you get inside?  ???
I imagine she poked the camera through the broken window? It's amazing how quickly buildings deteriorate once the are left empty and unheated.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
I was told by a few different people that the Albion was actually sold for £70k, I have also been told it was bought by a builder
I will have a look this week to find out if a deal has gone through and, if so, who the new owner is.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:20 pm »
I was told by a few different people that the Albion was actually sold for £70k, I have also been told it was bought by a builder
I will have a look this week to find out if a deal has gone through and, if so, who the new owner is.
A deal has gone through,as the Albion was taken off the market as sold according to the Auction site Pughs.  That's all I know as fact Dave.  PM me with any results and I'll be your friend long time for ever  :-*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:01 am »
As far as I can see, the sale has not yet been registered with the Land Registry. I'll have another look in a few days.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
Not Conwy itself but in the Conwy Valley at Tal-y-Cafn, I notice a Christie's sale board on the Tal-y-Cafn Hotel/pub.
I'm sure it wasn't there when I went past last week but apologies if it has already been posted elsewhere!
Just seen the Listing for this, up for sale at £350,000. Not a bad price for what you get..

Substantial detached property
Restaurant/dining area
Lounge bar (25) and snug (12)
Beer garden (50) with children's play area
Allocated car park (40)
Possible letting bedrooms

http://www.christie.com/search/property/36/coaching_inn_north_wales_for_sale_40567

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #445 on: April 18, 2011, 10:05:03 am »
Now I know some will disagree but, It's good to see all these pubs going up for sale as it means they will be bought freehold and then prices will be cheaper for the landlord and the customers in the long run.  For far too long these pub-cos have got away with their extortionate rates for rent and stock.  Of course there's always the chance new owners will push for change of use.  I was once told there are old by-laws that say there should be a public house for every 500 people in any one area.
I remember about 6 years ago the landlady in the Farmers Arms inquired about Maggie Murphys lease in Deganwy when Mostyn Estates had said they were thinking of selling the Farmers and the land.  Punch Taverns didn't know of these plans and she was informed that when the remainder of the current Maggies lease was up,( if I remember rightly it was 18mths) the pub was going to be sold and I quote "it will never be a pub again." Of course Punch are no longer able to dictate the future use of sold properties since a president was set about 2 years ago and the clause was deemed illegal.  Needless to say when Mostyn Estates did demolish the Farmers and sold the land, Punch Taverns realized that if they did sell Maggies their clause would not be upheld and so they did a re-furb and in true Punch manor they doubled the rent.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2011, 10:13:06 am »
To be fair though, they did a lovely refurb on Maggie Murphys/Castle View, spent a fortune on the place and it's very popular now as a food led venue.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:03 am »
I agree Dave it's a really nice place but then with a weekly rent in excess of £1000 you'd have to pull all the stops out and they do.  $good$

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »
I haven't seen a "proper" scarecrow (one dressed in men's clothing) for a number of years, but saw three in the same field on the outskirts of the town tonight

"Worsel Gummidge" is alive and well!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2011, 10:24:29 am »
Went for a walk round the Morfa and took a pic of the Marina.  Must be one of the larfest fleets that never goes anywhere!    "We are aren't sailing"      ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero