Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626636 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #540 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:09 pm »
I'd like to thank whoever organises things in Conwy.  I was there on Saturday and the place was buzzing.  New opening at the RCA with tea and cakes.  Little shops on the quay.  Lots of Japanese and American tourists a real feel of summer.  Then I returned to Llandudno.  70% off sale at the new Stead and Simpsons and tourists from Birmingham. Oh well........

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #541 on: July 05, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »
'A WOMAN was assaulted when a brawl broke out in a pub beer garden.

The fight took place in Ye Olde Mail Coach, Conwy on Sunday evening.

Three police cars attended the incident by which time the fight had already ended.

A North Wales Police spokesman confirmed that officers were called to a disturbance in the pub’s beer garden at 8.25pm.

No arrests have yet been made but an investigation is underway.

Any witnesses or anyone with information should call 101, he added.'

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/07/05/woman-assaulted-in-conwy-beer-garden-brawl-55578-28992988/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
There were a couple of Ferraris on the Quay at Conwy this lunchtime. Looked like the same ones that I saw at Caernarfon the other week. Also saw this interesting little car, a F27 Ninja (whatever that is):

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
So who's bright idea was it to carry out repair work (for the umpteenth time - will they ever be done properly?) on the cobbles on Conwy Quay in the busiest part of the year?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #544 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:05 am »
It was a lovely day yesterday so we decided to go and sit on the Quay.  Usually at this time of year there's lots of tourists around but not yesterday and i couldn't help thinking the paving works were partly to blame.  The noise was horrendous with cement mixers on the go banging and to top it all off a pneumatic drill hammering away  :o a complete joke.  There's nothing down the Quay for visitors apart from the scenery and even that has been spoilt !!  I'd be gutted if I'd spent my hard earned to come on holiday to Conwy only to find one of the main attractions resembling a building site. 
As we sat barely able to hear each other speak I noticed 4 young people had bought chips and were heading towards the steps by the side of the pub to eat them, one lad was left to guard the boxes of chips while the other three went in the Arms to get drinks.  First one seagull sat on the wall then all the others descended, they flew down and dive bombed the poor lad determined to steal the food which they did in numbers. The seagulls are getting more aggressive towards people without doubt.   If that wasn't bad enough a child of about 5 was sat only yards from me with an ice-cream he had one lick and down flew another seagull and whipped it straight from the little lads hand, he had a hellover fright and burst into tears bless him I wanted to wring the birds neck.  I hope Conwy Council pull their finger out soon they haven't got a clue. 
After all my moaning I looked at the works vans and noticed all the inconvenience and noise had been caused by a company called A Parry  ;D  Made me giggle.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #545 on: July 12, 2011, 11:33:02 am »
A sad day today it's Ken (Blue Bell) funeral.  He was a really nice guy and we will genuinely miss him, he was a real character round town and a popular man.  He always made time for a chat and was full of funny stories.  The Blue Bell will not be the same without him he was an excellent Landlord.  I think a lot of people will be at his funeral which is testament to his popularity.  RIP Ken you were ace mate.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #546 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »
Met the new owner of the Albion today and I'm pleased to say the pub will be re-opening soon.  There is a lot of work to be done such as re-wiring  and upholstering all the existing original seating.  The new owner wants to keep the Albion exactly as it is..........music to my ears.  I didn't have the opportunity to take photos today but I will as soon as possible.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »
The Clemence Restaurant has been sold and is to become a Coffee Shop & Wine Bar.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2011, 10:36:47 am »
The end of another era. :(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #549 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:27 pm »
Last night the Civic Hall Conwy was the venue hosting Band Night organised by two local lads in aid of the Duke Of Edinburgh expedition.  Seven local young bands took to the stage and played half hour sets entertaining the youth of Conwy.  My lad is the lead guitar in Engage the Enemy.  They did a couple of covers, an acoustic set and a really funny rap song titled Junction Crew where they dressed as Chavs (not entirely sure what the definition of Chav is if I'm honest......tut tut I'm getting old)  
It was an excellent night and I was very proud of the band it takes some courage to get up on stage in front of your mates and play live especially given the average age of band members is 14yrs old.  ;D
I remember two years ago when he asked for a guitar for xmas and I thought it would be a passing phase but ever since he has practiced no end he now has two electric guitars too.  We on the other hand are considering sound proofing his room with egg boxes and buying matching head phones for the tv but hey at least he didn't want drums  :o.

On a more serious note Conwy Council should get their priorities in order, the Civic Hall in Conwy is a much needed local amenity which is utilized by countless organisations for events such as the one hosted last night.  Where would these kids have played had the Council got their way and closed the Civic as planned.  I for one would rather have my taxes spent on local facilities such as the Civic Hall than see the Town Council parading round in Limos and getting free lunches in local expensive hotels with my hard earned.  

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:21:53 pm by DaveR »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #550 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »
Good for them-- it looks a great night. :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #551 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:15 pm »
This was posted on my wall by Rob Daviis (Coastal Hawks) sounds like a good family day. 

Living History On Conwy Quay - 13th/14th August 2011

13th/14th August 2011 Living History on Conwy Quay Part of The Conwy River Festival On Saturday 11am there will be a living history time line along Conwy Quay from Vikings to the 1400's. There will be sword fighting, archery & arrow making, Leatherworking, cookery, net & fish trap making, birds of prey and many other examples of medieval craft. Throughout the day there will be many medieval entertainers and musicians both on the quay and wandering around the town. In the evening there will be a fire breathing and juggling display on the quay with a torch lit medieval parade when it starts going dark.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #552 on: August 01, 2011, 07:36:34 pm »
Conwy Council are planning to charge residents who live within the walls £80 a year for parking outside their own homes  :o in a bid to cut down on congestion caused by shoppers and workers parking on residential streets in the town. 
Joan Vaughan commented “Some residents will be happy to pay for a permit to help tackle this problem but other will not want to pay £80 for a permit, and this is something that divides people. 
no sh*t Shelock some of us will be hopping Joan !  They could have issued Conwy residents with a free permit but oh no they want to charge us on top of the extra Council Tax we already pay.  The money generated will help fund yet more traffic wardens..............can you believe that  :o.  Roads in Llandudno. Llandudno Junction and Colwyn Bay have also been earmarked for the trials. 

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/07/30/conwy-drivers-could-face-80-parking-permit-bill-55578-29146820/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:17 pm »
I've been waiting for you to kick off about this, Pendragon..  WWW  ;D

I completely agree, a system of parking permits is fine, but they should be free to residents. £80 a year to park outside your own house is ridiculous.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #554 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »
the council's report about the purposed resedential parking scheme http://bit.ly/oV5wML