Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625797 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #600 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »
Went to see the 'blinc' lightshow in Conwy last night, it was fantastically attended and well worth seeing.   All positive in my view, tho I'm sure like the forthcoming rally in Llandudno there will be the usual negativity from the nimbys.

I agree with Jack. well worth seeing.

Never seen so many in the Pen y Bont for a long time - it was packed at around 7pm anyway.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #601 on: October 23, 2011, 06:14:23 pm »
A selection from last nights 8:15 show

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #602 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »
next

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #603 on: October 23, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
Yes indeed Medz, Mrs Fester and I must have been stoof very close to you... at 7.15, and again at 8.15.

I took some pictures on my pathetic phone camera, and I was hoping that someone would post some better ones to save me the trouble. So, well done..  &well&
Pendragon and her entourage were nearby too, and we continued the celebrations in the Geoge and Dragon afterwards.

Yes, its was excellent in Conwy last night.... and we spent a fortune, but it was well worth it.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #604 on: October 23, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
 We very nearly went to the George and Dragon ourselves but thought it might have been a little bit packed with the crowds from the Feast. Mind you the Links came up with the usual quality meal.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:28 pm »
We filmed the show in Conwy on an iphone but unfortunately for some reason I can't upload it.......and so I had a dig round on youtube and this was the best recording I could find uploaded by  dmizon.

Conwy Lightshow (Blinc)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #606 on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »
Great find Pen.... that conveys the power of the thing perfectly.  Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #607 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:33 am »
Yesterday Socs and I went up Conwy mountain in search of an ancient Mine discovered a few months ago by a friend of my Dad.  My Dad was telling me when the guy first found the mine he squeezed through the small entrance and fell approx 13' however once down in the mine he couldn't get back back out, luckily his mobile phone had a signal and so he contacted a mate in Llandudno and he raced over with a rope to rescue his friend.  I must also add my Dads friend is an experienced pot holer (is that the right word?)
A few weeks later my Dad and Tony ventured up to the Mine armed with a rope.  Tony went down the shaft tied to the rope and had a look round and my Dad hauled him out. 
Anyway I had a rough idea where it was but couldn't locate it's exact position and so I phoned my Dad.  I'm sure my dad still thinks I'm a kid  ;D he told me where the mine was and then gave me strict instructions not to go down it "i'd get stuck" "it was dangerous" laughing I assured him that there was no chance I would as to be honest I'd be too afraid of the spiders  :o.  He said he'd covered the entrance with sticks and I'd have to replace them before I left.  I reminded my Dad I was infact 42 and went for a closer look.
The Mine is facing the sea half way up the slope above Roland Youngs yard.  I found the Mine, cleared some of the sticks as best I could to show you the entrance, took some photos and replaced my Dads sticks.  They are not sure yet what source was extracted from the Mine or even when the Mine was first dug.  They think it could have been the Romans.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #608 on: October 26, 2011, 11:51:25 am »
What you describe could well have been an old animal trap.  Big enough to catch a decent size meal for the family and deep enough so the blighter couldn't escape.    The prey would probably live so if it was something he kids wouldn't eat you could release it and wait for something better to come along. 

If the hole actually led somewhere the it could be a mine as you say.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #609 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:52 am »
Yes I suppose it could be, we'll have to wait until further examinations are carried out.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #610 on: October 27, 2011, 05:06:57 pm »
My Dad emailed me some photos he and Tony took in the Mine on Conwy mountain.  In the very last photo you can see a tiny chink of light at the top of the shaft....that's the entrance  :o Dad reckons it's an old Victorian copper mine.  He says that the entrance is very narrow and Tony had to stretch his arms out above his head to wriggle through the gap.  Once inside the shaft splits into two different tunnels and they go for at least 70' each from what Tony could see.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #611 on: October 27, 2011, 05:10:16 pm »
Some more photos of the Conwy Mine.  I find places like this fascinating. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #612 on: October 27, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
I doubt I'd fit in there! Some good photos.  $thanx$

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #613 on: October 28, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
Any idea how old it is?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #614 on: October 28, 2011, 06:01:24 pm »
That's fascinating, Pendragon.  I don't think I'd fancy going down there but it's nice to see what it's like.