Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625875 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
We spent our honeymoon in a caravan on the old Morfa site in 1964 and now live in Gyffin!! Funny old world how things work out.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #661 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »
The Albion Vaults is opening it's doors once again at 12pm next Friday 3rd Feb  ;D  All concerned have done a fantastic job in the renovation of this much loved local heritage pub.    It was all hands on deck last night as people scurried around trying to get the finishing touches done in time for the private celebrations last night.  The Albion has had a complete overhaul it's been rewired, new cellar lines, everywhere has been painted and all bare wood including the floors have been french polished by Dave from Valentine Wood in Colwyn Bay, all seating has been upholstered and fabulous light fittings and soft furnishings  adorn every room.  Well worth a visit folks.                                       
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #662 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
Some more photos of the Albion  $walesflag$

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #663 on: January 28, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »
A couple more including one of the certificate awarded to the Albion in 2003 stating the pubs inclusion in CAMRA's National inventory of historic pubs

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #664 on: January 28, 2012, 04:49:22 pm »
Wow, that's a great job they've done there, great pics too! I love those art deco lamp shades too.

$cool$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »
The Albion looks great, Pendragon.  Congratulations to everyone involved and I wish them well with the re-opening. 

££$      $walesflag$

Offline Paddy

« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2012, 03:07:12 am »
It looks great Pendragon. Are you going to be working there?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »
Let's have a 3 towns forum meet-up in the revamped Albion   ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »
Are they going to do anything to the outside?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #669 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »
Let's have a 3 towns forum meet-up in the revamped Albion   ZXZ

Gerrit organised then, son!  Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #670 on: January 30, 2012, 11:04:19 am »
Gail and I are going to the Albion at 6pm this Friday if anyone fancies joining us  ;D

Offline martin

« Reply #671 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:49 pm »
I noticed last week the scaffolding that had surrounding the old Fruit n' Fibre shop in Conwy has been removed, not sure when this was done, but it is a slight improvement, (and I do mean slight).  Unfortunately now you can see that the building is just a shell with a roof, no windows, etc.  The old boarding the covers the ground floor windows and door looks awful, tatty with very faded blue paint, the front elevation has some render, much of which is missing, so overall, a derelict building in a prime position that lets the town down.   I just hope that this is the start of renovation, but I will not hold my breath.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: January 30, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »
CCBC have served an Enforcement Notice on the Owner, who is now moaning about it. He still hasn't explained why he left the property derelict for 20+ years....?

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #673 on: January 30, 2012, 07:42:29 pm »
In a tourist town like Conwy, it is a disgrace this building has been allowed to stand in this state for so long.  Another disgrace is Billingtons garage, what visitors must think of these to eyesores I do not know.  Why has the council pussyfooted around for so long?  Billington's owners have run rings around them, last I was aware of was that their appeal due to be heard late last year had been postponed until early this year, I think to the end of this month.  What's the betting it will be put back once again.  These building can do nothing but harm to Conwy and it's tourist industry, Conwy Council, pull your fingers out and get these buildings sorted.  Billington's site needs clearing and grassing over and the old Fruit and Fibre, at the very least remove the scaffolding having first rendered the front elevation, with all work on both sites being charged to the respective owners.  I am sure that if the council were serious about their commitment to the town they would find a way to get these eyesores sorted out.
I understand (from 2 sources) that the appeal by the current owners of Billingtons, Muller Property Holdings, have dropped the appeal at the 11th hour. The appeal was due to be heard today and tomorrow at Mold Crown Court.
On Friday evening the owners abandoned the appeal and let the court know that the site was being sold this week.
Due to the late abandonment that judge has order costs of £10,075 this on top of the costs £4K that the owners were order to pay CCBC from the original demolition order.
Apparently the letter of detailing the dropping of the appeal said the site was being sold for £38K.
Is this more delaying tactics, or is the a serious new owner on the scene that will comply with the demolition order, - another waiting game?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #674 on: January 30, 2012, 07:53:13 pm »
I believe a local estate agent is keen to buy the site...  ;)