Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 627092 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #780 on: August 11, 2012, 06:10:23 pm »
If you are talking about the present Edwards of Conwy's building, then Mike is absolutely correct, I worked there too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: August 11, 2012, 06:12:26 pm »
No, it's the one across the the road Chris Dearden means, that closed only recently.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #782 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »
Ah well that one used to be Baxters the Butchers (or was it Dewhursts) before Barclays moved across.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #783 on: August 11, 2012, 08:51:29 pm »
The old Billington's Garage is no more. It has now been virtually raised to the ground.

It now looks a much bigger area than before with the building on it.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #784 on: August 16, 2012, 05:27:46 pm »
The River festival in Conwy has been the highlight of the year for as long as I can remember and to me it was always about the bands mostly local bands too.  This year I have to say the advertising has been abysmal, practically non existent, hardly anyone I've asked knew what weekend it was on.  Usually there's banners everywhere and everyone you talk to is buzzing.  Maybe the lack of interest has been because as a rule local bands promote themselves on Facebook etc and this year if the following statement taken from a mate on Facebook is right it could be why nobody knows whats going on?  I think the organisers have made a very costly mistake.  I think the majority of people on the Quay were there to support local bands and enjoyed the diversity of music.  I don't think the boats were the big draw. 

This statement was written on face book earlier

conw quay....this sucks....good old n.wales does it again.....feel sorry for Chris n Roger.

As a lot of u have been asking whats going on with the bands on the quay this yr it is only fair that we should fill you in on the info that we know,

The river festival 'committee' of volunteers invited roger and I to one of their meetings a while back to discuss this yrs event. to tell us that it is a festival about boats and sailing (not a music festival) and that the entertainment is just a part of it (sorry but we were already aware of this!). they also informed us that there was no money to pay for the organisation/promo, p.a. or to pay the bands.

They didn't want it to finish at 11pm when it normally does, blaming litter, unruly crowds, fighting/vomiting! attracting undesirables, noise, the type of music (what do they know!), people buying their beer from the local spar and bring it down to the quay, etc etc. they want it to be more family orientated, so instead of the music running from 5pm till 11pm for one wkend as it has done for like 20yrs or something, they have decided, in their 'wisdom' to have 'entertainment' (which will be some sort of cover band, bringing their own equipment at whatever cost that involves) from 5pm-8pm sat, sun, mon, tue, wed, thurs, fri, sat, sun!

They did ask us if this was something we would be willing to sort out for them, but we declined as we do not want to be involved with such a preposterous idea doomed to failure! as it still requires the p.a. to be set up/taken down more often for less hrs so therefore costs will be tripled and audiences will be very small during the wk, and finishing as 8pm! 'what planet' instantly came to mind!

We did tell them that we have in the past tried to put on gigs during the week and have learnt that it does not work. but add to that the bright idea of finishing at 8pm when most people dont finish work till 5-6 and dont go out till 8 or 9pm, they will have local uproar on their hands and as we will be the ones on the ground doing the bands we do not want to be taking the flak for it.

So roger and I have unfortunately after many years of hard work organising and promoting the bands, doing the sound, dancing with the crowd and generally promoting a good time down on the quay have had to bow out of this 1! we hope it goes well for whatever they have put in its its place, but I for one will not be gracing the quay with my presence as i do not like to attend poorly organised music events.

Backdrop events are sorry that there will be no music event to speak of down on the quay this year. it really was a labour of love for us, it was the only annual free music event of any quality in the area. we, as i'm sure many of u did to, looked forward to it every year. it was an event to be proud of, it was run by musicians for musicians, which involved the best local bands and musicians of all types and a few from all over Great Britain.

As a side note we have asked the Liverpool arms if we could run a little free music fest for another wkend and disassociate from the river fest. but unfortunately they cannot afford the insurance and stewarding costs as so far they say they have had a bad year. so there u go it doesn't look like its gonna happen. which is a sad day for the town and all local music enthusiasts and tourists alike.

hopefully next year will bring better things!

Thanks Chris n Roger.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #785 on: August 16, 2012, 06:06:49 pm »
The Liverpool Arms had a bad year?!! I have to fight to just get in the door most time I'm in Conwy....  :o

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #786 on: August 16, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »
He makes a lot more money when it's sunny and this has to be the most sunless year on record surely.  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #787 on: August 16, 2012, 06:29:45 pm »
Says on Oscar they have gone bust :o

Anyway this is awful news! - Music 5-8!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: August 16, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »
He makes a lot more money when it's sunny and this has to be the most sunless year on record surely.  :o
*looks at suntan*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #789 on: August 16, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »
*looks at suntan*

For business reasons, I keep detailed records of takings in relation to weather and other factors.  (Fester is an anorak, I hear you say)
But, I can conform that from March 1st to today, this year there have been 29 days that I categorised as 'sunny' versus 66 in the same period last year.
A very un-sunny year in my opinion.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: August 16, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »
The weather half a mile out to sea is quite often different to that even in town, though?  &shake&

Offline dwsi

« Reply #791 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:48 pm »
The weather half a mile out to sea is quite often different to that even in town, though?  &shake&

so is the weather inside cafe nero  ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #792 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:36 pm »

Errrm,  I'm sure it is, but I am comparing like with like.... as I was half a mile out to sea LAST year too!   &shake& &shake&

The point remains, there have been less sunny days this year, versus last.

Plus Dave, it only takes an hour to get a tan!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #793 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:00 am »
The weather half a mile out to sea is quite often different to that even in town, though?

Llandudno has one of the lowest rainfall figures in the UK;  about 12 - 13" per year.  Betws has about 60" per year and Capel Curig about 120".  Unfortunately, this fine but nonetheless predictable detail never makes it into the TV forecasts and visitors are therefore often deterred from coming through from nearby towns for the day.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #794 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:25 am »
Very true! And quite often pessimistic weather forecasts will deter visitors too!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas