Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626280 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #810 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »
I also believe that such "fairs" that appear for very short periods at or around a peak selling time take business away from the local shops that pay their rates and taxes for the other 360 days of the year!   I don't think they do much to improve the tourism figures either.   

But then I could be wrong!  ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #811 on: September 02, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
I walked down onto the Quay yesterday with Jj to have a look round the Celtic Fayre.  There was a sign at the entrance which read "£1 entrance fee, this is to cover the cost of the event we receive no funding.....children free" Is it me?  According to a friend of mine who has a stall down there, the organisers charge upwards of £300 per stall for their pitch.  Where does the revenue from this go then?  Why would the organisers get funding?  It is after all just an expensive market if I'm honest.  What really annoyed me though was the fact huge building site fencing had been erected the entire length of the market, so that no one could go in without paying the £1.  It probably cost more for the fencing than they made on entrance fees plus it made the whole area look unwelcoming anyway.  I'm sorry but "children free"....what's that about?  Who would pay for themselves and kids to enter a market?  Last year it cost me nearly £3 for a few bits of fudge so there was no way I was paying extra.  In fact I threw my toys out of the pram and carried on walking past.  I just think it's out of order. 
I can understand the Foodfest (although that's a bit expensive too) but at least they have events like cooking demonstrations going on in the tents.
Agreed, it's just a money making scam.  The idea that they should get funding to put on a market! :laugh: &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #812 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »
I also believe that such "fairs" that appear for very short periods at or around a peak selling time take business away from the local shops that pay their rates and taxes for the other 360 days of the year!   I don't think they do much to improve the tourism figures either.   

You are not wrong Yorkie.
In fact I have had people coming in to my shop who have bought a ''similar'' item at the local Fayre, either at the Town Hall or in Conwy, and have no need of me this year.
Thats fair enough.... so I thought I would turn it to my advantage.
So, I too ventured to Conwy,  paid my £1,  and picked up some very good ideas, complete with full supplier details to add to MY range next season.
Thanks organisers,  the best quid I ever spent.   $good$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #813 on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:47 am »
I seem to remember that some years ago running sales in hotels and similar venues was banned, or the organisers (or hotel) had to have a licence for such events.   Maybe someone out there can put more info to this?

I also get extremely angry at the disruption caused to traffic and the normal daily routines of the local people.   One reason that I wish the Victorian (so called) Extravaganza was moved to Bodafon field or some other location.  (Note to self: Book holiday for next year around May Bank Holiday!)

ZXZ
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #814 on: September 03, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »
Plans to build another 20 houses on Penmaen Road - residents are angry as they don't want to lose their playing field

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #815 on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

You are not wrong Yorkie.

In fact I have had people coming in to my shop who have bought a ''similar'' item at the local Fayre, either at the Town Hall or in Conwy, and have no need of me this year.
Thats fair enough.... so I thought I would turn it to my advantage.
So, I too ventured to Conwy,  paid my £1,  and picked up some very good ideas, complete with full supplier details to add to MY range next season.
Thanks organisers,  the best quid I ever spent.   $good$

I noticed the stall selling your type of wares, I think it is the one which seems to go to all the fayres and other events
Do they have premises? ---or rely on such events?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:24 pm »
I may be wrong but I believe that particular stall is run by the organiser himself.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »
I may be wrong but I believe that particular stall is run by the organiser himself.

He can probably look forward to a Rosie future then!     :D
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »
Nemesis,  I would PM you, but....

So, next time you walking my way, I will fill you in on the subject.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #819 on: September 05, 2012, 02:09:37 pm »
Heard on the bongo drums this morning that Steve dickens has bought/leased barclays building and he's going to open a tapas bar  $good$ wonder if he needs staff.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #820 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »
Nemesis,  I would PM you, but....

So, next time you walking my way, I will fill you in on the subject.

Will call when I get my head back together Fester. Lunatics in residence at the moment!  EEEEEEEK !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #821 on: September 08, 2012, 11:43:34 am »
      Having noticed that the Morfa Cycle Path bridge is now open as I drove past yesterday, I thought that I would give it a try early today and cycled over from Llandudno to the tunnels and back. The new section is very nice (all Tarmac) but I think that there could be a future problem with sand blowing onto the path when the winds get up (see photo) like the West Shore-Deganwy section but it certainly is a welcome addition to the path network as the old section from the tunnels to the Marina turnoff without any crash barriers between you and the A55 could be a bit nerve-wracking on a windy day!

Offline martin

« Reply #822 on: September 08, 2012, 11:46:45 am »
Council red tape is stopping people to removing the rubble. Local farmers were going to take it away for free but they needed an environmental license to take it from the site and another one for the dumping site. Which meant too much time, money and hassle.

Looks like the site clearance is back on course, when we passed this morning there was a large digger loading the rubble into various farmers trailers. $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:30 am »
Ward: Conwy
Community Council: Cyngor Tref Conwy Town Council
Location: Former Butterfly Jungle Bodlondeb  Bangor Road Conwy LL32 8DT
Change of use from Butterfly Jungle to Medieval Siege village and Falconry Centre.
Conversion of former potting sheds to shop, mews and staff canteen. Conversion of
derelict buildings into a pay booth and office. Erection of 3.5m wooden fence.

Offline martin

« Reply #824 on: September 21, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »
There is an article in today's Weekly News regarding the old Billington's site.  It appears it may be developed to form a restaurant/bar, but the article then goes on to say that the site will be up for auction on the 27th September, most puzzling. ?{}? ?{}?