Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626163 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1185 on: July 30, 2016, 03:02:35 pm »
It was the Conwy Half Marathon race today so I thought that I'd pop along and give my friend support as he was running in the race.    The first part of about a mile was running on soft sand from the Beacons point to the cycle track near the Signatures Restaurant so I took a few photos there and after watching my friend go past I drove to the top of Sychnant Pass to watch them running up the steep hill there.
After what seemed a short while the leading runners came up the pass and that's when my camera battery went flat!       :rage:         :rage:

My own fault,   but I still enjoyed watching the race so  well done everyone who took part in the race, runners and organisers alike

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1186 on: August 05, 2016, 09:47:17 am »
The revamp at the Malt Loaf continues a pace, never seen quite so much scaffolding on a Conwy property.
It is in process of being refurbished to become a boutique hotel and will change its name back to its original one ie The Erskine.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1187 on: August 05, 2016, 05:38:41 pm »
Took a walk to Conwy today the quay was packed with visitors ,both toilets locked note on gate toilets closed to be repaired nothing on note telling visitors ,so the hight of the season no toilets ccbc once again at their best .

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1188 on: August 16, 2016, 03:10:44 pm »
The planning application has finally gone in for the Malt Loaf and adjoining cottage, even though they started work weeks ago.The application can be viewed on CCBC website Ref number 0/43078. Some really good design illustrations and information if anyone's interested. One little known fact in there is, Charlotte Bronte stayed for a night.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1189 on: September 20, 2016, 12:03:45 pm »
A public inquiry will be held next month after developers behind a plan to build 93 homes yards from the Snowdonia National Park appealed the rejection of the scheme.

The land west of Sychnant Pass Road, Conwy , has been designated a “special landscape area”, and council planners voted by nine to three against the proposals earlier this year.
But Beech Developments Limited are now appealing that decision and claim the homes opposite Parc Sychnant are needed and satisfy Conwy’s requirement for a five-year housing supply.
Planning officers had also recommended approval of the scheme.

Anwyl Development recently built a number of houses within 100 yards of the site of the proposed Beech development.
Mike Roberts, land and planning director for Beech Developments, says local and national planning policies do not rule out development

The public inquiry will take place at the council chamber in Bodlondeb, Conwy, between October 26 and 28, and at the Guildhall in Rosehill Street, Conwy, on October 31 and November 1

More  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-housing-development-edge-snowdonia-11910830

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1190 on: September 24, 2016, 08:47:23 pm »
Excellent firework display tonight, lasted about 20mins.. I believe linked with the Conwy holiday park? pity about the rain. $good$ $good$

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1191 on: September 29, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »
Nasty accident reported by Crows Nest Farm, Sychnant Pass Road yesterday evening. Two experienced riders were out for a hack when a car hit the back of one of the horses and it collapsed onto the rider. The rider luckily had minor injuries but the horse had to be put down due to leg and internal injuries.
We are absolutely sick and tired here on Sychnant Pass Road of the rat run it has become with irresponsible drivers. Only a few weeks ago there was another incident with a collision between a horsebox and motorbike, it isn't a wonder someone hasn't been killed. It's an absolute nightmare when there are closures on the A55 and now they want to build 93 houses up here, which will add hundreds more car journeys going up and down every day, on a dangerous road with many areas without pavements.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1192 on: September 30, 2016, 10:18:00 am »
That's horrific Meleri, how could anyone not see a horse and rider unless they were driving in a dangerous manner.    It can be a dangerous road if you don't drive carefully as apart from Horses, there are sheep grazing alongside the road and ramblers walking there too.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/adored-horse-killed-sychnant-pass-11958437

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1193 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:42 am »
Well, that driver who drove with the pipes ticking out of his offside rear window shows these aren't isolated incidents.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1194 on: September 30, 2016, 12:58:03 pm »
Sorry Ian but I don't understand what you mean about " the driver who drove with the pipes ticking out of his offside rear window?"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1195 on: September 30, 2016, 01:09:25 pm »
Sorry, Meleri;  I posted this the other day, taken by our dashcam:

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1196 on: September 30, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »
It's a separate thing Meleri but Ian posted a video from his dash cam that showed a driver on the A470 by Talgoed Nursery driving with metal pipes sticking out from a car window on the driver's side.
It highlighted how stupid some people could be.

With regard to that incident in Conwy it was obviously caused by dangerous driving but it's a shame that mobile phone videos were not taken as evidence along with witness statements as there is a chance that the driver may get away with charges of dangerous driving.
I'm surprised that the incident hasn't attracted the same attention from the media like the incident with the dog run over by a Police car.
The Police were acting in the interests of public safety, but this person obviously had no consideration for the safety of people or animals and they didn't do their credibility any good either  by leaving the scene of the accident before the Police arrived.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1197 on: September 30, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »
I suspect as the accident involved a person and a horse it's against the law to leave without reporting it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1198 on: September 30, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »
I suspect as the accident involved a person and a horse it's against the law to leave without reporting it.

Correct, it is. Contrary to S170 Road Traffic Act 1988 (As Amended.)
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1199 on: September 30, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »
Thanks Hugo & Ian and for putting the dashcam video for me to see. What an absolute idiot that car driver was.

Councillor Goronwy Edwards has said today that there were health and safety issues over the number of horses,cyclists,walkers and riders on Sychnant Pass Road. He also said" It's something the authorities needs to look at" But I won't hold my breath as they are so hell bent on cutting costs, it will  take a human death for them to do anything.  :(  In the not to distant future when they start the major roadworks on the A55 everyone will use the Sychnant Pass Road to avoid the queues.