Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 202032 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2010, 10:03:28 pm »
    8)  Me needs to break into the town hall,pinch all their bulbs and light up Mostyn st.  WWW
ah ha.................... now that's what i'm talking about . I'm with you Mrs

$hands$   :twoface:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:34 pm »
Erm................. I've had a think Wrex and whilst I admire your gallantry, I have decided for purely selfish reasons and of course  to cover my own ass, to retract my prior post. However I will keep digs (be the look out) and push the wheelbarrow but please don't tell anyone.   :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:27 am »
So, the attraction was being vandalised by locals breaking into the park when it was closed?

No;  the local visitors were animal-like in their regard to carefully-crafted paths and cultivated bushes.  They simply shoved through them in the maze if they couldn't find the right way to get out.  There was a colossal amount of damage and theft in the first few months before the management of the park realised that what they were dealing with was quite different from your average tripper in Florida and changed the security arrangements.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2010, 11:30:14 am »
 :o   The town council have put up the xmas decoration on Mostyn st,i think they put two on Gloddaeth st and of course go mad outside the town hall oh and the LITTLE tree and blue lights,that is the whole extent of their efforts and god knows when they might lite them. :rage:

Yorkie

« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2010, 01:38:24 pm »
Switch on is after the Xmas Parade on Saturday, 4 December.  So as the parade starts at 4.00 p.m. it will be at about 4.05 p.m.   The celebrity chosen at great expense is Councillor Ann Yates otherwise known as Mrs Mayor!  Should be an exciting afternoon for about 15 minutes anyway!     L0L   ZXZ   Z**   _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2010, 03:44:21 pm »
With my touristy background, before I came to settle here....I still can't help LIKING the Xmas parade.... you don't get one of them in the vast majority of the towns, its nice for the pensioners, and its great for the kids to participate...   I've stood outside Waterstones clutching my Hot Chocolate and looking on for the last 5 or 6,  and the novelty hasn't worn off yet.    Do you think it will?

I still like the Extravaganza too though don't I ...!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
I`m with you Fester I still enjoy the christmas parade and i`m one of your pensioners who take the grandchildren there. My favourite is the samba band it really lifts the spirit.

Yorkie

« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »
I ain't got no Grandchildren - and I do think that for what the Council are paying out The Lions, Rotary, Round Table or even the Masons could put on a better show.   The parade travels all of 0.4 of a mile which could quite easily be extended to cover the Promenade and give more people a chance to witness this Annual Event.

I am all for it being removed from Council intervention and given back to those who originally did the orhanising.    >>>

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »
 ???  Getting a little concerned,NOT SUPRISED about the massive Llandudno town council xmas light switch on,with only eight days to go they have only put four xmas trees and one light up.As if being outdone by Penmaenmawr isn't bad enought our shower can't even manage a meeting too improve this town. :rage:

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2010, 05:38:58 pm »
I just had a look at the Town Council web site for more information on the Christmas Parade. This has probably been mentioned before but doesn't one of the "rotating pictures"  at the head of every page show a house (Penmorfa) that isn't actually there any more.

Yorkie

« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2010, 05:42:04 pm »
Some pictures are "hystorical"  -  others are hysterical!   Should get some of DaveR's pictures on the headings.

ΒΆΒΆ##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
...for a small fee.  ;D No, they could use any of my photos with pleasure if they wanted to.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »
We spent the weekend strolling up and down Regent and Oxford Streets and gazing at their lights.  Actually, not as wonderful as I'd expected, and the best were those provided by the shops themselves.

Being a lights lover, and having roamed the globe in search of the best lit places, I think I've settled on the Disney parks as having cornered the market. Disneyland Paris, in particular, has spent vast amounts of money preserving the sort of twinkling ambience that would have Wrex in several kinds of ecstasy.  But despite their having almost bottomless pockets, the problems with vandalism blight their efforts, also.

In the early days of the Paris park, there was (and still is) a walk-through attraction called the Alice's curious labryinth , which features eight-foot-high hedges, framing a delightful maze with subtle lighting for the evenings.  The most stunning feature was the inclusion of myriad twinkling lights in the bushes themselves, which imbued the maze with a delightful and mysterious aura when you walked it in the dark.  Within twelve months, so severe had the damage been from the Parisian natives' interference, that the Park management not only gave up attempting to replace the lights in the bushes but actually closed the attraction in the evenings, thus losing one of the most stunningly envisaged designs in the Park.  

There are those it seems, whose main delight in life is to destroy that which others find beautiful.
So, the attraction was being vandalised by locals breaking into the park when it was closed?

What do you expect at such a Mickey Mouse attraction.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2010, 01:49:40 pm »
I do hope that Mrs Mayor doesn't wear that ridiculous and embarrassing outfit.... and salute!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »
I do hope that Mrs Mayor doesn't wear that ridiculous and embarrassing outfit.... and salute!