Author Topic: Say Hello here if you're a new member  (Read 98346 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Say Hello here if you're a new member...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 10:27:25 am »
My name is Brian Roberts.

I was born locally and have lived in Craig-y-Don for the past 30 years.

For several years, I had an office in the village but now I work successsfully from home.

I have been a self-employed financial adviser for the past 15 years although I have worked in the industry for 45 years.

www.broberts.co.uk

I am married with two grown-up daughters, and like hollins, I also support Manchester United and have been a season ticket holder for 25 years, although for health and business reasons, I am very much an armchair supporter these days.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:15 am »
hi all I'm Brian, born and bred in wrexham, married in 1963 moved to StHelens and lived happy ever after up to now, two "great" kids, four "great" grand kids, retired from glass works in 1998, spend a lot of time in my daughters house on the orme (not as much as id like.) support wrexham and liverpool, feel sorry for Bri, Hollins and The Medz, but they might get better. just love looking at what is on the forum, member of the R.A.O.B. (and thats were iv,e just been, hence such a lot of info.) look forward to talking and hopefully meeting you all in the future.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »
Hi Folks.

My handle is Yorkie - not because I like driving trucks or that I like chocolate - just that I am proud of my Yorkshire roots.  Actually I am half Dutch and half Cumbrian via Yorkshire but born and bred in the Smoke and have lived all over the UK including Scotland, West Country, Home Counties, Midlands and now Wales.   This may well give a clue as to why I have such diverse opinions and love an argument, or should I say discussion!.   Spent most of my working life associated with the Construction Industry on behalf of a few Foreign Companies.  Been retired for 16 years now but still have an active interest in many topics and am an Advanced Driving Tutor and driving enthusiast.  Don't expect profound comments or total agreement with any opinions given on the Forum.   >>>

My megre intelligence quotient can be gathered from the fact that I am willing to confess to having been (note past tense) a Llandudno Town Councillor.   Wow - am I pleased to have got that off my chest!    _))*

Any questions you may PM me but I cannot guarantee any sensible reply.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »
Hello, I'm Blodyn.

My father came from Deganwy and my mother lived in Llandudno for a while but I was born and brought up in Sussex.  I fell in love with North Wales, and this area in particular, on our first family holiday here to visit Dad's family when I was a child.  After studying at Bangor I had years of hiraeth in various parts of England till I was in a position to be able to work mostly from home and moved here in 2000. 

I'm one of the team of volunteers who look after St. Tudno's Church and I also enjoy photographing wild flowers, walking and reading. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:02 pm »
Hi,
I first knew Llandudno in the late Sixties when we came on holiday here, we stayed in a holiday flat at 5 York Road.  I loved riding on the tramway and the old buses doing the trip around the Orme. Interests include classic cars, narrow gauge railways, dabbling with photography, getting a good income from the stock market, walking around streets looking for unusual features, looking around derelict sites, must not forget my beloved 3 pigeons, collared dove and a canary  D)  The Merddin Emrys name comes from the Festiniog Railway and is the name of a Fairlie double steam locomotive. Moving from Penrhyn Bay to Rhos on Sea next Tuesday!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 12:08:19 am »
Hi, my name's Eric, born in Coventry, evacuated during the war to Anglesea, moved to Llandudno, to the Gunsite on theOrme after the war. Then to the Tre-Ceuddyn Estate about 1951. Left school at 15 to become an apprenticed Toolmaker at Ferranti's in Bangor, where I worked for 9 Yrs. before joining Hotpoint and took redundancy after 29 Yrs 11 Months and 29 days, after working in the Toolroom. Then, press shop, assembly lines, and machine shop as a Foreman.       Also served 9 Yrs. in the T A, achieved corporal Gun-fitter in the R.E.M.E.           After Hotpoint and a couple of other jobs, started a light haulage & delivery service which continued until retirement.    My hobbies included Golf and Cycling, but were curtailed by back problems.I currently     ( try to ) play Crown Green Bowling.    $salute$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 01:17:54 am »
Hello, hello?... can you hear me through this newfangled contraption?   Ah yes, thats better.

I'm Fester, a thoroughly fantastic bloke, loved by all that knew him, and will be deeply missed.   
Oh, we are not doing epitaphs? its introductions is it?

Right, well I'm still Fester, and I hail from Yorkshire, despite having three out of four Welsh grandparents. Odd really. $walesflag$

I'm 47 now, and had a 27 year career in the Home Shopping industry, managing (or maybe mis-managing?) everything from Purchasing depts, Warehousing, Transport, Customer Services, Creative, blah blah... all very boring. But it did get me to many countries of the world on business.
I hated every minute of it, but it paid me well enough to leave the rat-race behind and come to live in this beautiful part of the world while I'm young enough to enjoy it.   Redundancy, you can't beat it!

My hobbies now include;
Having a beer or seven with Dave R, and Mrs Fester
Dabbling in the stock market, (AGAINST Dave R's strong advice usually)
Visiting Merddin Emrys's bird collection,
Running a small (one might say infinitesimal?) business on Llandudno Pier,
Playing Darts, (with Forum member Born to Run)
Enjoying all aspects of this area with Mrs Fester.
Persecuting harmless crackpots on the Forum.

As you new members can see, much of what I do has come about by meeting some very good friends via this Forum.
So, join in.... you WILL have fun, you MIGHT learn something!

Who's next?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:03:05 am »
OK, I'll go next.

I'm Steve, a fortysomething who has lived his whole life in the three towns area. I was born in St Davids hospital Bangor, hence my second initial and was raised in Llandudno. My family moved up the Orme to the new housing estate on Llwynon Rd in 1969 when I was two and I lived there for many years.

I went to Lloyd St/Tudno Primary & John Bright Secondary schools & left as soon as I could because they AREN'T the best years of your life!

I then did a 4 yr engineering apprenticeship with Welsh Water but there was no job at the end of it so I found myself driving buses for Crosville Wales whilst I planned my future. Planning is obviously not something that comes naturally to me as I ended up doing it for 10 years before I had to eventually leave for my sanity! On a whim I applied for a job in the paper for something I knew nothing about or had any interest in but thankfully I took to like a duck to water and have been a Network Rail signaller for nearly 14 years. I think after 10 years of dealing with the public the solitude of being a signaller was a breath of fresh air. I've been a relief signaller for the last 7 years and work a number of locations so the variety stops the job getting too monotonous.

I've always liked my rock music and have been to many gigs throughout the North West over the years. I keep meaning to learn to play the guitar but never manage to keep it up very long which is quite embarrassing as my brother is a guitar teacher! I'll get around to it eventually. I'm also a bit of a technophile and like my gadgets & big TV's etc.. I was finally going to treat myself to an iPad2 last week but I hear rumours that the iPad3 will be announced next month so I'll hold out for it. I support Everton FC although I don't go to the games any more as it got too difficult with the shift patterns I work.
Valar Morghulis

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 10:07:47 am »
Hi, I’m Curly Cap and I’m currently changing my career after 20 years of self employment. I’m now Teacher training and so don’t spend as much time on the forum or “at home on the Orme” as I’d like to! (Hence my “No place like home” Avatar.)
My Dad’s from Wales, Mum’s from Lancashire and whenever we can, me and my family walk and climb everywhere ! (Hubby’s a Man U supporter but I prefer Rugby League – football goes on far too long !)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:42:42 am »
 Hi I'm Sue, I have been a member  since the early days of the Llandudno Local, and am mainly interested in Social History and Genealogy.  I was born in Llandudno and most of my family still live in the area so I often visit from my home in Ruthin.  I have worked in the Health and Social Care Sector for 36 years in  several different roles, currently as a work based assessor and support worker.  I still love my job - which is just as well because I can’t afford to retire just yet!
My spare time is mainly spent with my ever increasing family – I have 3 children and 5 Grandchildren, the oldest of whom is 5. My interests are  Holidays (anywhere) , Short Breaks (anywhere), Sewing, Knitting and Reading. For exercise I like going for walks but only if the weather is good, and I can take some photos along the way. 
As for football teams, it probably isn’t allowed but I support  both Liverpool and Manchester United,  I don’t follow the Rugby, mainly because I’m usually babysitting or working when the matches are on so that other people can go to the pub to watch!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »
Hia my name is Angie and I live and work in Conwy.  I love local history and walking but like Sue I prefer walking in warmer weather.  I joined the forum............can't remember when now but I love it.  I have met some really nice people on here and love it when we have the meet ups.  I have two children one lad of 14 who's in a band called Engage the Enemy and my eldest son is 22 he's a manager for River Island which is handy as he gets discount and I love their jeans  :D
I have always worked in the Pub industry from bar maid to lease holder and can't imagine doing anything else.  I enjoy meeting and talking with people from all walks of life which is probably the best part of the job, every day is different.  My Husband Gezzy is a very patient man bless him and I love him with all my heart.  I can't be doing with football but I do like watching rugby.  I can't think of anything else to write........so that's it folks.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline dave bent

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »
HI MY NAME IS DAVE I LIVE IN MANCHESTER I HAVE A CARAVAN ON THE SITE OPPOSITE THE OLD HALL I AM DOWN EVERY WEEK END AND SIX FULL WEEKS FROM THE MIDDLE OF MARCH TO THE END OF OCTOBER. I PLAY DARTS FOR THE OLD HALL WHEN IM HERE FOR THE WEEK. I VISIT VARIOUS WATERING HOLES IN TOWN . THE SNOWDON THE VIC COTTAGE LOAF TO NAME JUST A FEW AND DARE I SAY IT A MEMBER OF THE CON CLUB CHEERS Z**

Offline Jack

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »
I'm Jack, I was born in Colwyn Bay at the Nant-y-Glyn maternity hospital in 1974.  Growing up in the Bay I have a seen a steady decline in the town from a bustling tourist resort before the A55 to the place we see today.  I went to Conwy Road infants, then Pendorlan and Eirias High and apart from a couple of years backpacking and working my way around the world I have always lived in the Three Towns area.  I now live with the family in Llandudno and am self employed in the building trade.
I was drawn to the original forum because of the wealth of local postcards, pictures and information as I love local history and when I get the time I have been trying to upload some of my collection of old postcards to the forum for others to enjoy.

Offline ConwyFestivalofYouth

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »
Hello to all from another Newbie,

About 3 years ago I moved with my family from Lancashire into the 3 Towns area and have not regretted it for a single moment.  If asked I always say that it will take a bl***y big crowbar to get me back out of here.

When I arrived I became a Scout leader locally as our two children were both involved.  Since then both have given up and I followed my lad into the Air Cadets.  As I'm a little old to be a cadet I've opted to work on the Civilian Committee helping to raise funds and the public profile of the squadron.

Almost as an offshoot of this, I've found myself as one of the main organisers of the Conwy Festival of Youth.  We will be taking over the Quayside in Conwy for a couple days during the Diamond Jubilee holiday weekend in June, with a host of youth centred groups, clubs and associations.

If you work with, or belong to, one of these groups and would like to join in with the fun - it could be a great opportunity to showcase your activities, recruit new members or helpers and raise funds.

If you would like to support the festival in some way we would love to hear from you as well. 

You can find us at www.facebook.com/conwyfestivalofyouth or you can email me directly.

Thanks,
               Stewart.

Offline HuhPuh

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »
Hi, I'm Helen and I was born in Nant y Glyn in 1974 and lived in Rhos until I moved away darn sarf after Uni.  The hiraeth has been getting stronger and stronger over the past few years and I plan to move back to the area in the next couple of years.  Family all still live in the area and I'm back in Rhos every couple of months.

The memories, photos and postcards are a real blast from the past and aren't heping my homesickness!