Author Topic: Privacy, Spamming and viruses  (Read 88243 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Privacy, Spamming and viruses
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:50 am »
Could be several things, Mike. It can be issues with the server, temporary glitches with the website itself, and a possible failure of the company to pay its dues, among a host of other things,  It's certainly not your computer, however.  Parallels Plesk is a server company.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:59 am »
  Thank you Ian. That is a bit of a relief. I have emailed the company I was trying to reach. I cannot see it being not paying any dues because I can get to them o k on my iPad. But I always find completely mysterious things happening with computers that to my logical mind are unbelievable.
 A little incidence. From the time I bought my Mac secondhand the £ symbol was unavailable. Click it and the dollar sign came up. I don't remember what happened if you clicked the dollar sign, but it wasn't what I wanted.
   Now, out of the blue, after two years---it suddenly works o.k.   I only found out by chance. I have done nothing that I know of to cause this. If only every fault would rectify itself  Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 10:35:27 am »
Possibly a recent update has fixed the pound sign.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:54 am »
According to Which? cheap software exists which can spoof your incoming 'phone calls to make them appear as a number you might recognise. It seems Caller ID is no longer of any great use.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »
Couple of days ago phone rang, 02083787373 number showing on the screen.  I answered it and it was a very English guy who started off about being from Quadrangle Research and conducting a survey on shipping experiences.  He started his waflle and I keyed in the phone number on google to find out who's calling me ... the google page came up with it being a scam and usually was from someone pretending to be HMRC with a tax refund!

So I googled Quadrangle Research and it appeared to be a legit company - but with a different phone number.  So, why was a legit company ringing me on a scam phone number?

Anyway, I kept stopping him to ask this question and all he did was repeat his script - he was a real person although seemingly could/would not answer me.  I did say my number was logged with TPS and his reply was that Research calls are not included (I did know that).  I asked how he got my number and he said H2 Data in Manchester - googled that but with no result.

In the end he got fed up of my questioning and doubting him and hung up!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »
And it's a tactic only going to increase.

Online Hugo

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 02:55:16 pm »
I've recently bought a CPR Call Blocker to stop all those unwanted calls,  but since I bought it I've had no unwanted calls so that I can try it out.
If I see the caller display showing an international call,  then I just speak Welsh to them and they usually hang up.    $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
Although I'm sure we're far too savvy a bunch to be caught by this scam, it is a scam, and it's fleecing some decent folk in the US:

The Massive Cover-Up That
Is Stoping Millions From Cutting Their Power
Bills By 80%..

If you didn' t watch this INCENDIARY broadcast yet, then it will take you by complete surprise.

The Big Energy Fat Cats Almost Started Another War For Not Making It Public.

" CRAZY" scientist uncovers one of the biggest secrets of the mankind...

While he was working on a secret project, he discovered a method so powerful... that it can cut anyone' s electric bill by more than 80%.

It' s the same device that it was used with great success by the US navy to propel their ships for millions of miles... without any fuel...

Watch Unveiling Video Now

It all refers to the QEG: a magical device that generates far more power than it takes to run it. Ignoring the Laws of Thermodynamics, they claim it's been around for years. Full details:

http://www.fixtheworldproject.net/quantum-energy-generator.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2015, 07:29:55 pm »
I made my own  years ago, never been able to turn it off!  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 06:40:53 pm »
I've had my first scam e-mail of the year today:

Dear customer,

You have 1 important message from LloydsBank .

In order to read it please click the following link:

https://lloydsbank.co.uk/secure/email.php?id=BS749A23Q6289E  PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND USE THIS LINK

Please do not respond to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
LloydsBank
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 02:54:25 pm »
Latest e-scam to arrive today
Irish tax&customs <moosetoys.com>
[News]we may need some information to process your claim.
Claim-ID003223...(88 kb)

We have successfully recalculated  your fiscal activity

We have sent you a document please read and fallow the steps.

Irish Tax % Customs Team.

Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 03:08:22 pm »
In your previous post, Blongb, you posted a scam from Lloyds with the link address starting www.lloydsbank.co.uk/ but that's actually a genuine email address for Lloyds.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2017, 09:26:13 am »
In your previous post, Blongb, you posted a scam from Lloyds with the link address starting www.lloydsbank.co.uk/ but that's actually a genuine email address for Lloyds.
Maybe the actual link is to a different website, as that's a common scam technique? If you hover your mouse over the link, it may well show a completely different web address.

Best way to spot a scam is to look at the actual email address it was sent from. It may show a Sender as 'Lloyds Bank' but the email address it was sent from will not be correct, i.e. 'support.lloydsbank@gmail.com' instead of 'something@lloydsbank.com'.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »
Yes, but that link above is actually from Lloyds' own domain.