Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 378232 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 05:36:35 am »
 L0L

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:51 pm »
If you're serious blongb, threre wouldn't be enough water there at low tide to have a lifeboat station at that location.  ???
Sorry Trojan, I said we asked the RNLI to put a Lifeboat Museum there which would have meet the planning requirements for the site and wouldn't require any water )*)&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:30 am »
If you're serious blongb, threre wouldn't be enough water there at low tide to have a lifeboat station at that location.  ???
Sorry Trojan, I said we asked the RNLI to put a Lifeboat Museum there which would have meet the planning requirements for the site and wouldn't require any water )*)&

I see blongb. I've re-read your post while sober.  $booboo$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:56 am »
Several years ago we asked the RNLI if they would consider using the site for a Lifeboat Museum after they told us the site wasn't suitable for an operational Lifeboat Station, but they said they weren’t planning to do that. We also wrote to the Tate Modern and asked if they would consider using the site for one of their Regional Galleries but again we were declined. We haven’t given up though and are still looking, as everyone deserves to have a decent neighbour.
Indeed, but the problem is that the Pavilion's owner won't sell, regardless of the scheme you present to him. Several leisure industry developers have contacted him over the years but his valuation is based upon the site being sold for residential use, which is way beyond what any leisure developer could pay. This is why a CPO is the only route forward.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »
The Pavilion site has annoyed visitors and residents for years and it seems inconceivable that the Council has allowed it to go on for so long with no apparent solution in sight.     
The CPO that Dave has suggested seems to be the best way out and if CCBC has neither the nous or the legal expertise to carry out the procedure then they should consult a legal advisor who does know what to do.
Which ever consultant they engage I hope that they have the common sense not to use the same firm who created the West Shore sea defence fiasco!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »
Lest we forget...!  The Pier Pavilion.

Isn't it amazing how there was a BBC news story abou possible ''action'' over the drelict site.   Council meetings with the owner were imminent.
That was followed up by a newspaper article on the subject, churning out the same old rubbish .... best option quoted was to bulldoze the site and landscape it.

We all know that is NOT the best option ...in fact its nowhere near the best option.   An attractive structure befitting the town's heritage with a useful purpose would be nearer the mark.

But now, its all gone silent again... deadly silent.....and we will have to put up with complete inertia for another couple of years until it pops to the top of someones agenda again.   A letter or two, a nostalgic article.... nothing more.
It should be at the top of the Town councils agenda every week ... and high up on CCBC agenda too, until the pressure (or embarrassment) leads to something being done.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »
 :( Fester having sat on the town council for nine years the Pier Pavillion was brought up twice,once by Roy Gambrill and once by Malcom Bullock both since lost their seats,really caring about LLandudno does not go down well on the council . ¢¢##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:33 pm »
Went down for a wander into the bowels of the Pier Pavilion site today:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 08:44:07 am »
Great pics Dave--- walked past you lurking with your camera yesterday !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:36 am »
I must learn to blend into the background better!  ;D

There were a lot of people looking down at me as I was taking the photos. "What's he doing, Doris?"  _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 09:37:00 pm »

There were a lot of people looking down at me as I was taking the photos. "What's he doing, Doris?"  _))*

Only a 'chameleon' can blend into its background effectively ... speaking of which, I'm intrigued how you managed to get in there....'snake'like!  ?{}?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 09:59:12 pm »

Only a 'chameleon' can blend into its background effectively ... speaking of which, I'm intrigued how you managed to get in there....'snake'like!  ?{}?
The gate was ajar, so I walked straight in!  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »
I recently made an FOI request to see how much work CCBC had carried out on the Pier Pavilion site and whether they had passed the cost on to the owner. The invoices they released to me are here:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/51059/response/130585/attach/2/1462%2010.pdf
...and show a total of £2600 has been invoiced to Mr Taylor in the last 12 months (and been paid). Eagle eyed Pavilion watchers will realise that no invoice is listed for the expensive metal fence that was put up around the Happy Valley Road perimeter of the site this year - does this mean that taxpayers have footed the bill for securing private property? I have asked CCBC for clarification on this point. It would be disgraceful if it turned out that several thousand pounds of our money had been spent on that fence and I see no reason why taxpayers should foot the bill.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 08:50:57 am »
I've just sent a question to Janet Finch Saunders via Twitter:

@JFinchSaunders How is CCBC able to do a CPO on the Market Hall in Colwyn Bay, yet refuses to do one on the Pier Pavilion site in Llandudno?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »
It will be very interesting to see her reply Dave.    :)