Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 386709 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »
I know nothing of these matters but if a piece of land was sold wouldn't there be stamp duty payable? That would make transfer of ownership to hide owners an expensive business.

The other point is, if the owners are trying to hide, why not just start developing the land and see who comes out of the woodwork ?

All too simplistic I'm sure but I'm sure some one will tell me why this isn't so.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline Dave

« Reply #302 on: April 07, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »
It's amazing the way some of these people work, opening and closing companies,hiding assets etc etc.
Are these people that the rest of us support with their tax avoidance schemes etc, the real burden on our society ?
They are certainly more than capable of surviving without our help unlike those that tend to be the most often targeted with abuse for needing social care.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #303 on: April 07, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
An update is due by the Councils Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee on the 9th June 2016 on the Pier Pavilion site. I wouldn't hold my breath on them actually doing anything about it though, with the lack of funds. It doesn't bode well that this Mr Nixon has held 138 appointments at 138 dissolved companies does it. Perhaps the Mr Nixon that is registered at No 11 Castle Street sold the site on to the Mr Nixon at No 15 Castle Street then dissolved the company.  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2016, 04:35:07 pm »
It's amazing the way some of these people work, opening and closing companies,hiding assets etc etc.
Are these people that the rest of us support with their tax avoidance schemes etc, the real burden on our society ?
They are certainly more than capable of surviving without our help unlike those that tend to be the most often targeted with abuse for needing social care.

In a word Dave, Yes!
Mainly because they are smarter than I am.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »
An update is due by the Councils Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee on the 9th June 2016 on the Pier Pavilion site. I wouldn't hold my breath on them actually doing anything about it though, with the lack of funds. It doesn't bode well that this Mr Nixon has held 138 appointments at 138 dissolved companies does it. Perhaps the Mr Nixon that is registered at No 11 Castle Street sold the site on to the Mr Nixon at No 15 Castle Street then dissolved the company.  &shake&

It doesn't look promising Meleri but I wonder why the started to clear the site now?     

I did try looking for info on the sand clearance in the public areas of West Shore but couldn't find anything.  Did the meeting go ahead?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »
Could our local reporter be sent to Worcester by the paper and find out a little more,lets be honest we would all love to know why these people have left us with such an eyesore for all these years,we the readers of our local paper WOULD love somebody to out these firms

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »
It's also good what the old Facebook brings up about them all .

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #308 on: April 08, 2016, 03:03:30 pm »
 The topic of West shore was postponed on the date I gave you and I haven't heard when they intend bringing it up again, Hugo. It was recommended at a meeting in December 2015 that the Council would seek a Beach Management Appraisal Report for North & West Shore. A Grant Funding application for £60K towards production of the report was submitted to Welsh Government in November 2015 but I haven't heard anything since.
You may find something on the Llandudno Coastal Forum site. There are a few e-mail links on there that you could try for more information.  $walesflag$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #309 on: April 08, 2016, 03:07:41 pm »
So, of course the ownership has never actually changed then, and Mr Nixon has done a great job of concealing the ownership under layers of companies for many years, until..... he was ready to announce it and do something with it.

Makes you think why have they sat on this piece of land worth £850.000 for so long? why move it about internally?
their finances are not that good.....

Offline Hugo

« Reply #310 on: April 08, 2016, 04:13:51 pm »
The topic of West shore was postponed on the date I gave you and I haven't heard when they intend bringing it up again, Hugo. It was recommended at a meeting in December 2015 that the Council would seek a Beach Management Appraisal Report for North & West Shore. A Grant Funding application for £60K towards production of the report was submitted to Welsh Government in November 2015 but I haven't heard anything since.
You may find something on the Llandudno Coastal Forum site. There are a few e-mail links on there that you could try for more information.  $walesflag$

Thank you very much Meleri, it's really appreciated.   I think the problem with the West Shore sand will be a tough one to solve and I don't envy anyone on that committee.
I'll have a look at the Llandudno Costal Forum site and see what's on it

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »
Makes you think why have they sat on this piece of land worth £850.000 for so long? why move it about internally?
their finances are not that good.....

His capital gains liability will be quite considerable as the Pavilion was originally sold for £180,000. As to moving the ownership around internally, it's an asset when all's said and done it could be used to raise money.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2016, 11:06:52 pm »
I don't know who Maurice and Donna Nixon bought the land from although  I do know that David Taylor owned it in 1993.    Did David Taylor still own the land in 2015 and sell it to the Nixons?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2016, 12:22:00 am »
Looks like Mr Nixon has always owned it, and 'Mr Taylor' never actually existed.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2016, 06:15:00 am »
The long running sage of the machinations of the Pier Pavilion site are, (whilst being an utter disgrace,) a fascinating piece of local history which if thoroughly investigated and set out in detail would not only be a superb article if done properly, but probably bring into the open highly dubious practices on all sides of the affair. It could well be Llandudno's equivalent of the Panama expose....... which might prompt some action.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.