Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380181 times)

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #825 on: December 13, 2017, 01:07:04 pm »
Although not an expert on the party wall act my experience with it leaves me to believe Waldron will not have a problem with construction but subsequent operation of the development is another matter https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/40/crossheading/rights-etc

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #826 on: December 13, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »
Fester ask the many local lads that work on the turbines who it benefits ,I think they would say they keep them in work nothing else round here for them .

To be fair Norm, I do know one of them, and yes, he’s loaded these days!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #827 on: December 13, 2017, 05:33:50 pm »
Didn't know you new my lad  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #828 on: December 13, 2017, 06:09:33 pm »
Planning decision- DEFERRED.

Sounds like a cop out to me.
Fester...

Offline pebbles

« Reply #829 on: December 13, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »
I don't agree about the wind farm, Fester; for a start it's quite a way off the foreshore, is isolated and not affecting anything else, and is a feature of interest, if not somewhat elegant in its own right.  I like windmills.

Windmill -

Turbine -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #830 on: December 13, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
The below is from the Save our Seafront campaign FB Page....  they seem to have accepted that today went badly for them.

PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETIING OUTCOME
...decision deferred. Which is only marginally better than it being accepted as they seemed broadly in favour!   What they asked for was for the developer to have more talks with The DeIgn Commission for Wales about how to make his development acceptable to them.  The two things specifically mentioned were incorporating all of the ironwork still remaining into the design and possibly reducing the height. One councillors said he felt it needed to be at least two floors lower. However, the concensus was that the development would not adversely affect Llandudno in the long term.  My personal take on this is that they cannot have been paying any attention to public criticism and had most certainly not read the many objection letters in full (just relied on the, biased, summaries from planning officials who were recommending approval ...and therefore playing down the objections).  This development would blight the whole town for the 3 years it will take to build, traffic chaos along North Parade and backing up onto the promenade road, because of traffic lights at the Church Walks roundabout and by The Grand to control traffic in an out of that section of road (because it will be partially blocked off by the building works) think of the traffic jams this would cause!!!  I could go on for pages about the detrimental effects on the Pier and therefore on
Llandudno but I expect most readers will not have made it this far  down this post!
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #831 on: December 14, 2017, 08:36:42 am »
I don't agree about the wind farm, Fester; for a start it's quite a way off the foreshore, is isolated and not affecting anything else, and is a feature of interest, if not somewhat elegant in its own right.  I like windmills.

A wind turbine is a windmill-like structure specifically developed to generate electricity. They can be seen as the next step in the development of the windmill.

Windmill -
[smg id=3386]

Turbine -
[smg id=3387]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #832 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:11 am »

Agreed. It's a standard ploy by councils when they sense a lot of opposition to something to defer the decision in the hope that the furore will die down over time, and then it can be quietly approved. Exactly like the ploy of submitting a monstrosity for initial approval, then re-submitting a slightly smaller monstrosity in the hope the objectors will have breathed a sigh of relief and believe themselves lucky that the first plan wasn't approved.

It's a great shame there's been no business with a real vision for the place prepared to propose something more appropriate over the past two decades.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline CMG

« Reply #833 on: December 14, 2017, 10:30:03 am »

Agreed. It's a standard ploy by councils when they sense a lot of opposition to something to defer the decision in the hope that the furore will die down over time, and then it can be quietly approved. Exactly like the ploy of submitting a monstrosity for initial approval, then re-submitting a slightly smaller monstrosity in the hope the objectors will have breathed a sigh of relief and believe themselves lucky that the first plan wasn't approved.

I for one (and my personal campaign effort Save Our Seafront...look out for my SAVE OUR PIER posters on my external fence) will not shut up and will continue to encourage anyone who is opposed to this development to campaign against it and when the next plans are submitted to object formally.  Too many people are moaning about it in public on line forums but not objecting formally to the planning people.  The lack of foresight,  shown at the meeting yesterday, as to how this development would blight the area, damage the pier (structurally and financially) damage all the businesses along North Parade and eventually damage the whole town as a result was staggeringly FRIGHTENING!  How can the planners and councillors be so short sighted. 
 Only Councillor Louise Emmery seems to understand the ramifications of this project, she spoke eloquently and passionately against the development.  I whole heartedly applaud her speech and the fact that she has listened to public opinion (many of the others seemed to just be speaking from a purely personal perspective "I don't have a problem with it"...really, what about Llandudno's constituents who you supposedly represent.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:50:15 am by Ian »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #834 on: December 14, 2017, 12:23:52 pm »
How will it eventually damage the whole town?

Are you suggesting that people will stop visiting here because they don't like the look of the building?

Would have thought things like no sand on the beach, nowhere to park and nothing to do would put people off coming more than a modern building.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #835 on: December 14, 2017, 03:58:26 pm »
How will it eventually damage the whole town?

Are you suggesting that people will stop visiting here because they don't like the look of the building?

Would have thought things like no sand on the beach, nowhere to park and nothing to do would put people off coming more than a modern building.

Are you suggesting that a gross carbuncle of a monstrosity of a building in the epicentre of the town will actually attract visitors to the Victorian town of Llandudno? 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #836 on: December 14, 2017, 04:04:47 pm »
Rather than the burned out wreck that is there at the moment.....YES  $good$

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #837 on: December 14, 2017, 05:01:35 pm »
Sadly I feel Waldon's carbuncle will have an effect on Llandudno and it's reputation as being an unspoiled seaside town.

Already the original pier entrance has been closed as a direct result of this planning application. During building work (three years!) North Parade behind the site will be reduced to one lane and controlled by traffic lights (Waldron is so remote from his plans he doesn't even know what the road is called). This will impact those wishing to go round the Orme and access Happy Valley. Moreover chaos will ensue around the area for the sightseeing buses and road trains which will be constantly trapped by traffic at the lights.

How access to the Pier along the front entrance can be safely maintained whilst a lot of the building work goes on is questionable. Would you be happy walking down with steel girders being moved above your head? What about all the traders in that area? One slip moving construction materials and their business will be gone (or worse)! There is also the issue of noise from the construction site which will affect those all around that area including the sandy part of the beach, the local hotels and even up in to Happy Valley.

I can see Mr. Williams being told to close the front access for at least part of the time during construction. Of course, maybe CCBC want Llandudno Pier to go the same way as it's near neighbour. As long as they get more council tax coming in they'll be happy I suppose.

Not related to the built but relevant to the Pier is the recent sad announcement that MV Balmoral will not be operating during 2018 http://www.whitefunnel.co.uk/t-update.aspx.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #838 on: December 14, 2017, 05:40:50 pm »
Rather than the burned out wreck that is there at the moment.....YES  $good$

Excellent.

You obviously want to set a precedent for the future planning of Llandudno for the town to be able to complete with the likes of Swansea, Luton and Coventry in future years that will make Rhyl look like a World Heritage Site in comparison.

The granting of the proposed application will sound the death knell for Llandudno as a 'Victorian' town. It would be perfectly simple to design a building in keeping with local architecture. Mr Waldron obviously wants to build something as soulless and lacking in merit,  character and charm as his Deganwy development; difficult to do in such a beautiful location, but he managed it, in the process ruining the area. He is well on track to do the same to the focal point of Llandudno unless common sense prevails.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #839 on: December 15, 2017, 12:37:00 am »
I dunno Bosun.
You see, I think that the Venue Cymru is arguably more at the ‘epicentre’ of the town, than the Pier Pavilion.
A precedent was set when that was built.  It’s modern, not Victorian in any way, but Llandudno as a town has not suffered from this ‘blight’ on its promenade.

If Mostyn Estates are so benevolent to the town, and so outraged by the new development, then why didn’t they bid for the land and either build something more ‘in keeping’ with tradition.
Or, if they were were really nice people, just landscape it and build nothing.

They’ve all had their chance, and done nothing, but now complain bitterly.

Reminds me of those who are angry about Brexit (as I am ) ... but never bothered to vote in the referendum.  &shake&
Fester...