Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380354 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #975 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:23 am »
The fact that this site has never seemingly been on the open market for all this time does however, weaken arguments that no one wanted to do anything with it (so apartments are the only option). I consider this to be a red-herring, just like the jobs argument.
Just because the site wasn't on the open market doesn't mean it wasn't for sale. I was told several years ago that the site was available for anyone who was willing to pay £1m. Any decent property developer with a serious offer could have got the deal done. Mr Waldron doesn't have any super powers, as far as I'm aware!

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #976 on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:35 am »
Dave, I think you have summed it all up and your previous comments regarding Mr Williams not divulging his plans for the site certainly have not helped his cause.
Surely if the Pavilion were ever rebuilt he would in any case have to move the kiosks that appeared in front of the old Pavilion in any case?
Mr Waldron is no fool and will have sorted his front access out and this is all bluster saying he won't move his kiosks , Mr Williams will have already been told of the access issues by his own solicitor when purchasing the pier.
I have bought property that was never on the open market, nothing sinister just a question of knowing what one is doing. 

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2018, 01:11:19 pm »
The fact that this site has never seemingly been on the open market for all this time does however, weaken arguments that no one wanted to do anything with it (so apartments are the only option). I consider this to be a red-herring, just like the jobs argument.
Just because the site wasn't on the open market doesn't mean it wasn't for sale. I was told several years ago that the site was available for anyone who was willing to pay £1m. Any decent property developer with a serious offer could have got the deal done. Mr Waldron doesn't have any super powers, as far as I'm aware!

Odd then, how securing such a prime site in one of Britain's foremost seaside resorts should only attract the interest of one man over all that time when developers have been fighting tooth and nail to acquire lesser sites.

Very odd.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #978 on: March 21, 2018, 03:03:35 pm »

Odd then, how securing such a prime site in one of Britain's foremost seaside resorts should only attract the interest of one man over all that time when developers have been fighting tooth and nail to acquire lesser sites.

Very odd.
Not as odd as you seemingly believing that the previous owners left the site derelict for 24 years just so they could sell it to Mr Waldron!  :o

It certainly is a prime site, but it is also a problematic one. The topography of the site is difficult, access arrangements are not straightforward, the fact the site is still classified as a Listed Building - these are all good reasons why developers have looked at the site and then decided to tackle easier schemes elsewhere. Both ABC and CCBC have considered a CPO in the past but the lack of a suitable developer to flip the site on to has meant the idea was always ruled out.

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #979 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:12 pm »

Not as odd as you seemingly believing that the previous owners left the site derelict for 24 years just so they could sell it to Mr Waldron!  :o

It certainly is a prime site, but it is also a problematic one. The topography of the site is difficult, access arrangements are not straightforward, the fact the site is still classified as a Listed Building - these are all good reasons why developers have looked at the site and then decided to tackle easier schemes elsewhere. Both ABC and CCBC have considered a CPO in the past but the lack of a suitable developer to flip the site on to has meant the idea was always ruled out.

And yet Waldron seems to find a way to grease the wheels that others cannot reach.

I realise I'll never be privy to even a fraction of what goes on behind these scenes on one of these developments, but I don't trust the people involved further than I could throw Waldron's inappropriate excrescence.

Offline Dave

« Reply #980 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »
It's all very well saying that whatever is built should be for leisure and entertainment but can anyone suggest what should fill the hole?
To date I can't recall a single suggestion.
If it was financially viable I'm sure someone would have jumped at the opportunity a long time ago.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #981 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:08 am »
It's all very well saying that whatever is built should be for leisure and entertainment but can anyone suggest what should fill the hole?
To date I can't recall a single suggestion.
If it was financially viable I'm sure someone would have jumped at the opportunity a long time ago.
Exactly.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #982 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:35 am »
I notice that the Save Our Seafront Facebook page has disappeared altogether.
The fight is not over is it?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #983 on: April 08, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »
Well no one can come up with an alternative use so I guess unless it's decided a hole is a better alternative then apartments are the only option.Personally I wouldn't want to buy one in that particular location but I guess they will get snapped up at whatever huge price they are asking.
I have noticed recently that whenever I'm listening to the radio phone-ins at weekends and travellers are asked where they are going a surprisingly large proportion are heading to Wales, North Wales in particular. More mentions now than seem to be heading to the Lake District. It just confirms that we have so much to offer todays holiday makers but it's nothing to do with in town entertainment, it's all about the great outdoors and North Wales hasn't half picked up it's game there in recent years. Yes, people will come to stay in Llandudno as it has hotels and restaurants but the idea of turning North Shore back in to a sandy beach just isn't worth considering and neither is building a theme park, they are folding up all over the UK so it's time for a reality check on what Llandudno really needs.

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #984 on: April 08, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »
Nothing you just said supports the argument for residential flats in an non Victorian style building on the seafront.

Why is Llandudno a more popular a destination than Rhyl, or Colwyn Bay do you think?

Offline Dave

« Reply #985 on: April 08, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
Nothing you just said supports the argument for residential flats in an non Victorian style building on the seafront.

Why is Llandudno a more popular a destination than Rhyl, or Colwyn Bay do you think?

I didn't say I was supporting an ugly building project but I don't see a viable alternative to apartments if the site is to be developed and most people probably don't care what use the site is put to. One thing is certain though, the apartments will be expensive.

In actual fact Colwyn Bay is trying to improve their profile by allowing the development of "upmarket" residential developments on the seafront. Neither of those places you compare ever had that many hotels in comparison to Llandudno and their downfall was for different reasons.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #986 on: April 09, 2018, 10:40:47 pm »
So..., what did happen to the SOS Facebook page?
Seems odd timing for it to disappear?
Fester...

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #987 on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »
Seems strange why opposition groups keep disappearing...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #988 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:49 pm »
Seems strange why opposition groups keep disappearing...

What is this? Russia?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2018, 08:32:44 am »
I'm hearing whisperings..... 8)