Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379696 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #870 on: February 09, 2018, 05:14:43 pm »
Correct Hugo but there is a possible complication in that the promenade was designated a public highway under the Llandudno Improvement Act.  As far as I know it can only cease to be a public highway if it is stopped up by a Court Order. This could run and run - no pun intended!

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #871 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »
It's getting too complicated for me, I'm still getting used to bikes on the Prom.        *cycle*

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/llandudno-prom-bye-law-wrong-say-2703684

Offline CMG

« Reply #872 on: February 10, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »
Look up a story about Mr and Mrs Crosthwait taking out an injunction against the new Chelsea football stadium ...maybe those of us affected by both loss of light AND loss of privacy could do the same thing?  Think I'll have to investigate!  WWW

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #873 on: February 10, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »
 ££$                        >?>??

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #875 on: February 11, 2018, 04:19:17 pm »
Unfortunately I foresee the most likely legal action will be taken by the purchasers of flats within Waldron's folly who will complain about the noise and food smells coming from the pier. Given that Mr Williams has already stated that 70% of the pier's income comes from that section then it will no longer be able to stay open. Just as new people who move in to villages and demand chiming clocks and church bells are silenced then in Llandudno they'll end up shutting the pier.

Offline CMG

« Reply #876 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
Last night there was a new entry on the Planning Portal, a response from the Design Commission for Wales.  Its obvious from their memo  that Waldron has not been in touch with them to discuss how he might modify his building so that they approve of it, as instructed to by the planning committee on 13 December.  It is also obvious that they still don't like it and disapprove of the building overall, not just the cosmetic look of the outside aesthetics.  they say all their previous comments still stand... pretty negative comments if you read the last report they submitted.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #877 on: February 16, 2018, 08:44:10 pm »
It will go ahead CMG.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #878 on: February 20, 2018, 09:03:59 pm »
The Planning Committee will also have to consider Section 66 of the Listed Building Act of 1990,  which provides that a planning authority of planning inspector, in dealing with an application for the planning permission for development that affects a listed building or its settings is to have special regard to the desirability or preserving the building or its setting or any features of special architectural or historic interest which it possesses. And the courts have confirmed the importance of the duties under the Listed Buildings Act, as a factor of "considerable importance and weight", when making decisions on planning applications. It follows that the duty to preserve the historic environment is not a secondary issue in relation to the determination of planning applications; it is a very important one. 

In my opinion the Planners have for the sake of expedience, omitted to fully consider this part of the Act and should re-examine the dominance of the proposed development over neighbouring listed properties. The momentum is building against this build and if all the planners continue to ignore the Law it gives us perfect reason to seek redress and compensation from the Ombudsman.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #879 on: February 21, 2018, 12:17:59 am »
So much double standards seems to be applied to this development.
When I go past Bodafon School, which is as modern, as ugly and as monolithic as anything Mr Waldron has proposed, it makes me sick because there was no massive opposition to it being built..... and that was built on virginal GREEN belt!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #880 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:52 am »
When I go past Bodafon School, which is as modern, as ugly and as monolithic as anything Mr Waldron has proposed, it makes me sick because there was no massive opposition to it being built..... and that was built on virginal GREEN belt!

One of the reasons that there was little opposition was because it was a replacement and not a new build so I presume we talking about the recent build as opposed to the one it replaced? It does lack charm doesn't it but there again schools are supposed to be about the future not the past so a modern design is more appropriate perhaps?
Another reason for the lack of opposition might be that the school provides a special service to the community  whereas the Pier development is all about money for a few interested parties .Whilst I agree that whatever is built there has to be financially viable I have a feeling that no matter what is proposed, even if it was a mirror image extension of the Grand Hotel to fit in with the existing architecture, there would be objections by the few whilst the rest of the community would be happy.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #881 on: February 21, 2018, 11:55:07 am »
Whilst I agree that whatever is built there has to be financially viable I have a feeling that no matter what is proposed, even if it was a mirror image extension of the Grand Hotel to fit in with the existing architecture, there would be objections by the few whilst the rest of the community would be happy.
$good$

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #882 on: February 21, 2018, 05:20:55 pm »

One of the reasons that there was little opposition was because it was a replacement and not a new build so I presume we talking about the recent build as opposed to the one it replaced? It does lack charm doesn't it but there again schools are supposed to be about the future not the past so a modern design is more appropriate perhaps?
Another reason for the lack of opposition might be that the school provides a special service to the community  whereas the Pier development is all about money for a few interested parties .Whilst I agree that whatever is built there has to be financially viable I have a feeling that no matter what is proposed, even if it was a mirror image extension of the Grand Hotel to fit in with the existing architecture, there would be objections by the few whilst the rest of the community would be happy.

The reason there was no opposition to the school being built on Bodafon Fields is quite simple. Planning permission for a new school was never applied for. An extension to the old school was applied for and was approved. Only after the old school was fully demolished was retrospective planning permission ask for and granted for the new Green and White Box. The County Council knew exactly what they were doing and also knew how emotive an issue building on Bodafon would be, so they circumnavigated the problem of telling their electorate and got away with forcing another totally out of keeping Building on the People of Llandudno. Conwy County Borough Council care nothing for our Heritage and the sooner they are taken over and abolished, the better we will be served.  $angry$ 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online Hugo

« Reply #883 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:56 pm »
This and other applications aside, one thing that puzzles me about these building applications and the CCBC  Planning Committee is that they seem to be open ended.
For one thing a company can make an application for a multi million pound project and yet not have the visible means of funding the project and if it all goes pear shaped then the CCBC has no come back on the directors who have proposed the application.
Also no time limits seem to be included for completion of the finished application.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #884 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:07 am »
Revamped proposals for an £18m apartment and restaurant complex that would create hundreds of jobs in Llandudno will go before planners next week.

Conwy’s planning officers have recommended the Pier Pavilion development is approved

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/revamped-pier-pavilion-proposals-sympathetic-14374935

First time I've heard about this........

"They say three floors of parking will be available to neighbouring businesses and hotels and the development includes a large atrium and walkway from the pier through to Happy Valley Road."