Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 393676 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 07:03:34 am »
Unless CCBC are going to pump millions into that site for an indoor center like they have in Colwyn Bay(money)there is no chance of anybody else pumping money into an indoor center.Can anybody confirm that the station project has been held up again.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:52 am »
what are your top ten
1 Pier Pavillion
2 Railway Station
3 Clarence Hotel
4 Tudno Castle Hotel
5 Augusta Holiday Apartments
6 Town Beach( weeds,stones,shells,litter)
7 West Shore promenade(totally neglected)
8 Parc Llandudno;s hoardings
9 West Shore cycle path(under sand,invisible)
10 Llandudno pier(in a very sorry state)

Offline TELL

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »
I agree with your list apart from the pier. It seems fine to me, they certainly spend a lot of money on maintenance. I wish the landing stage could be renovated though.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »
Sadly the pier does look very tatty, rotting wood, kiosks with rusty missing ironwork, I'm sure it's fine structurally but cosmetically it is an eyesore, such a shame!  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:34 pm »
What about the Penmorfa building site?    That used to be pointed out on the tourist buses but they can't any longer and neither can they stop for the White Rabbit Statue as that's gone for the moment.

Offline TELL

« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »
This weather must be giving you lot the miseries. Please cheer up, you are depressing me.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »
The pier in the sun is even worse! You can see even more decay!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »
Tell don;t get depressed,if we don;t try and bring these eyesores to the attention of everybody they will be left for ever,we all know what it used to be like and this is why we are concerned,but it is only because we love the place that we bring it up,not because we enjoy a winge just because we would like to see some concern and commitment from the powers that be.Sitting in the council chamber and pretending to be concerned is not good enough,action for once would be good,if the town council had got of their backside and helped Mr Gorka with the simple task of doing up the tram shelter instead of doing and saying nothing we may have got rid of just one eyesore.

Offline TELL

« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2012, 09:11:17 pm »
Fair enough Rex, if it's therapeutic, carry on.
Although my home is here, I am away working much of the year.
When I get home I am always surprised that Llandudno is as beautiful as I remember it.
(although I would prefer a lot less rain and a lot more sun).

Offline TELL

« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »
Very sorry, Wrex (I thought that you were royalty)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2012, 08:35:28 am »
No Tell, im not on the Council anymore

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 02:00:56 pm »
CCBC update on the Pier Pavilion site:

1) The Owner is unwilling to modify his designs for a large glass 300 bedroom hotel on the site and wishes CCBC to consider it. The Owner has ignored requests by CCBC to consider the Planning Brief that has been drawn up for the site. It's fairly apparent, therefore, that any application has no chance of being approved. Back to square one, then!

2) "An alternative scheme for the site has been advanced by a local group.   This scheme would depend on substantial grant funding and proposes to create a Victorian Experience Centre, with an educational facility.  This  plan would aim to recreate the former pier pavilion as a replica.  Some  months ago the group made contact with the owner who confirmed that he
would be prepared in principle to sell the site at  the market value.
No further action has been taken by the Group. The local group have suffered a setback in momentum due to the death of a prominent group member.  The scheme advanced is still at a very early stage.  No funding has not been sourced and considered in detail and the preparation of a business plan has not been commenced.  The scheme cannot be given any weight at present as it still remains an aspiration rather than a worked up scheme."

Why is this scheme by a local group 'shrouded in mystery'? How can it have any chance of success when the local community is not involved?  &shake&

Full report: http://goo.gl/7qQbD

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:14 am »
I like the idea, but it seems like nothing is REALLY going on.

Now, the site once developed really MUST comprise a vibrant indoor attraction for visitors when the weather is not ideal.
That is what Llandudno is missing above all else.

Above all, it must create revenue.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2012, 07:39:53 am »
I think we all would love to see something happen,i cant see a group getting enought money to build a victorian center without some flats,hotel above it and its not going to bring people in but i dont know what would besides an ice rink or a fun pool and we all know that aint going to happen.A hotel seems the best option.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:08 am »
What might work there would be a virtual theme park. Essentially, the exterior façade cuold be identical to the Grand, making a nice architectural statement but the inside would house several floors of virtual rides and games. It would require a fair bit of investment, of course, but so would anything on that site.  The bonus is that the ground floor could be an ice rink.

Several companies have experimented with the concept, and the Walt Disney Company has made it work in Florida. I've visited two - and they're extremely immersive. 

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.