Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386197 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #855 on: March 01, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
An urgent item has been added to the Council meeting tomorrow regarding The Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay (item 15). This meeting is to be webcast and can be viewed on the CCBC webcast portal, it starts at 10am if any ones interested

Thanks M.  I think this is the link.....

https://conwy.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/274505/start_time/0

Offline SteveH

« Reply #856 on: March 02, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
I tried all I got was..... Playback has been lost. Attempting to resume.....anybody see it?

This might be a hint from the BBC .... Conwy council is due to consider future plans for the structure's possible restoration as a "truncated pier boardwalk" tomorrow.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #857 on: March 02, 2017, 06:57:28 pm »

Offline BMD

« Reply #858 on: March 02, 2017, 08:29:46 pm »
Restoration plan for Colwyn Bay pier?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39138628

On the face of it, this sounds like great news. As if CCBC has finally come to its senses. Unless they mean they're demolishing it first and then, maybe (but not really), rebuilding it as a boardwalk at some point in the future (which sounds more like what we've been hearing in recent weeks). I'll cross my fingers and hope for the former until we hear more details.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #859 on: March 02, 2017, 08:45:46 pm »
BMD, I agree with you, it was a confusing statement, and we can only hope for the best.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #860 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
The CCBC Report shows that the intention is to completely dismantle the pier and then, as a first step, reinstate the section from the shore to the end of the first building with new steelwork etc. The new pier will have no buildings on it.

The idea is that this will then give the Pier Trust a basis from which to submit an Grant Application to reinstate the original pier, that is, the area from the shore to the end of the second pavilion but not beyond. Their plan envisages kiosks along the section currently occupied by the first building and a replacement pavilion on the site of the current one.

Personally, I would prefer for the entire area of the original pier to be reinstated as the first step.

You can read the entire 102 page report here:
http://goo.gl/9zzq2r
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:25:38 pm by DaveR »

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #861 on: March 03, 2017, 03:41:27 pm »
If anyone is still interested in watching the CCBC Webcast of the meeting (we couldn't watch on the day) it is finally on the Webcast site. If you scroll up to item 15 and click Watch it will start on that item, which will save you watching the whole meeting.
Brief summary, as from this Wednesday the CCBC now hold the Registered Title to the Pier. The Council voted 36 For, 1 Against and 3 Abstentions to truncate the pier to the first 3 bays and remove the pavilion (which is apparently full of asbestos) There is £650,000 set aside for this.
Then there will have to be a planning application set up to deal with what happens next, but it was made clear the Council would not be footing the bill and that it would be up to the Pier Preservation Group to apply for funding. Cadw agrees with this.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #862 on: March 03, 2017, 04:30:04 pm »
Thanks M.   I have reposted a photo that gives an idea of the intended length mentioned above..... truncate the pier to the first 3 bays..... you can just make out the bays, I had hoped they would take it to the existing square bay that still survives.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #863 on: March 03, 2017, 04:39:59 pm »
There was some mention of not wanting to go out too far as the stanchions that are sitting in water would have to be replaced as they aren't sound and that could be costly. At the meeting they were referring to diagrams and pictures but not showing them, which was very frustrating. &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #864 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
Sorry to disappoint, but when they say '3 bays', they mean 3 bays from the Prom end, ie the area currently covered by the shoreward former Golden Goose building.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #865 on: March 04, 2017, 10:35:15 am »
Sorry to disappoint, but when they say '3 bays', they mean 3 bays from the Prom end, ie the area currently covered by the shoreward former Golden Goose building.

Well thats brought me down, very disappointing, its barely a token, which only makes the future restoration much more difficult.
I assume the photo shows what we are going to get? About 50 metres?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #866 on: March 04, 2017, 11:42:42 am »
I used to go fishing off the end of the Colwyn Bay Pier many years ago but never had much luck in catching anything.       In the future I would have even less as most of the time the end of the pier would be on dry land.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #867 on: March 04, 2017, 12:07:14 pm »
I used to go fishing off the end of the Colwyn Bay Pier many years ago but never had much luck in catching anything.       In the future I would have even less as most of the time the end of the pier would be on dry land.
I think CCBC should take a long walk off a very very very very very very short pier........... $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #868 on: March 07, 2017, 12:28:28 pm »
As regards future buildings on a restored Colwyn Bay pier, I think the best route to go down is something akin to those on Southwold Pier - traditionally designed wooden buildings that are pleasing to look at and easy to maintain.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:07 pm »

Well thats brought me down, very disappointing, its barely a token, which only makes the future restoration much more difficult.
I assume the photo shows what we are going to get? About 50 metres?
That's it. You can see a plan of the proposed boardwalk here:
http://goo.gl/NdlAL5