Author Topic: College school, Colwyn Bay war time  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Hans Wins

Re: College school, Colwyn Bay war time
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 03:18:20 pm »
On further reflection I think I got it wrong. The correct sequel is: my family came up from London
1940/1941 and I went to Central School for a very short time and from there on to College School till it closed in 1944 and hence to Secondary in Eiries Park on Dingle Hill (whilst I was still there it became Grammar School and now High School) Eventually, we returned from we came, Belgium, in 1946/1947.
I look forward to your comments and if this fits in with your memories of those wonderfull boyish
years!

Offline Hans Wins

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
Hello Ormegolf, I would love to hear from you if my reply #14 dated June 18th., makes sense and/or your comments.
Thanks and greetings : $thanx$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »
Hello Hans, Sorry to be so long in giving a reply. This thread missed my attention.
   You are more or less correct. Colwyn Bay County School was the one kids went to if they passed some sort of exam aged about 11. Around about 1946 we were all called into the main hall and Sam Dodds, the headmaster, said "as from this day you must never call it the County School. It is now Colwyn Bay Grammar School." Later on it opted out of government control and renamed itself Eirias High.  So, it WAS a secondary school---but it was never officially called that.
  Now to the Central School. That was on the other side of the Dingle. Thats were you went if you failed the exam. Later it was renamed the Modern School. I'm not being snobbish here, it was a very good school in more practical skills. No harm in that, its not everyone who is good at Latin prose.
  Just for a laugh I will mention that very recently, around four or five years ago, I was working for a firm in Llanrwst. The front of house man, the man on the reception desk, answering the phone, doing all the odd jobs. By the name of Raymond Ellis, from Colwyn Bay. He was prone to boasting "I was the HEAD boy in Colwyn Bay Modern School." I was just a driver there, but one day he had annoyed me even more than usual so I replied "So---you were the head boy. Well I was the worst pupil in Colwyn Bay Grammar. But the worst in the Grammar is better than the best in the Modern, because "I" passed the exam.  Lots of laughter all round Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:56 pm »
My Dad went to Central school....occasionally.  :laugh:

Offline Jack

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:53 pm »
Mike, did Central School become Pendorlan Junior School, which in turn was demolished to make way for the A55 and a second Pendorlan built in the early 80s virtually opposite it at the bottom of Greenfield Rd/Lawson Road?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »
Yes, thats correct.  By that time Bryn Elian up the hill had been built, and I imagine the bulk of the Modern School moved there. But now I am only guessing, by that time I was living in Rhyl and was a bit out of touch with The Bay.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 07:29:37 am »
Bryn Elian opened about 1976. When I was there in the 1980s, some of the equipment etc was still marked 'Pendorlan'.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 09:43:54 am »
From memory, the Colwyn Bay Grammar School and Pendorlan Secondary Modern School ceased to be such after the summer term in 1967 and became a Comprehensive School under one headmaster. 

Offline crookdave

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:45 pm »
Hi please see attached picture of the Marine Hotel and the Toad Hall Pub, showing the name COLLEGE SCHOOL

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 08:52:03 am »
A reply to the original post from 'All Our Yesterdays':

"My friend Eddie Gorst has given me a photo of staff and pupils at College School from we think 1929/30. If you are call in at All Our Yesterdays, 14 Greenfield Road, Colwyn Bay for a viewing and a chat with Charles Eaves the proprietor."