Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336273 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #795 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:27 am »
I am hoping these hydrangeas dry well that I picked yesterday.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #796 on: October 04, 2017, 10:14:29 am »
Can anyone recommend the best place locally to get some stuff to put in my garden. I'm no gardener by any means, so don't know any terminology! What I want is stuff similar to  what you see in parks, the brown stuff that is normally in play areas? Looks a bit tree like. This will go over what were flower beds. I'd need quite a lot of the stuff so looking for somewhere as cheap as possible. Otherwise looking for recommendations of what else I could use, thought about rocks and artificial turf but not sure how viable those options are.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #797 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:18 am »
You’re thinking of shredded tree bark, I think? You can get it from B&Q or any garden centre in big bags. If you use it, I would also recommend laying a liner first, keeps it all tidy and helps to stop weed growth.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #798 on: October 04, 2017, 10:56:51 am »
Can anyone recommend the best place locally to get some stuff to put in my garden. I'm no gardener by any means, so don't know any terminology! What I want is stuff similar to  what you see in parks, the brown stuff that is normally in play areas? Looks a bit tree like. This will go over what were flower beds. I'd need quite a lot of the stuff so looking for somewhere as cheap as possible. Otherwise looking for recommendations of what else I could use, thought about rocks and artificial turf but not sure how viable those options are.

’m probably  as inexpert as you but think I’d be looking at something living rather than artificial turf. 

I guess you are looking to lower maintenance and that is a problem we are facing although I guess our problems and solutions will be different.  I don’t think I’d realised anywhere close to how much my mother was doing outside until arthritis and I guess general old age has really slowed her down over the past few years. I don’t have the same degree of dedication or even her stamina of old.

For us so far. We have planted fruit trees in a couple of the veg squares.  We still have some roses to remove but I have removed some small flower beds that had got over grown between a few trees.  I don’t suppose it will ever be as nice as when mum had things at their best but we should get to a point where I can simply mow/strim and keep things looking tidy. And in the veg area still have room for favourites such as a good sampling of new potatoes.

There is a back bed at the front of the house where mum seems to think hydrangeas are the answer. Apparently the need little other than an annual dead heading and should fill the area out while reducing the need for constant weeding.  We did get 2 new ones this year but I think a few more are needed.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #799 on: October 04, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »
You’re thinking of shredded tree bark, I think? You can get it from B&Q or any garden centre in big bags. If you use it, I would also recommend laying a liner first, keeps it all tidy and helps to stop weed growth.

Thanks Dave I've got the liner down all ready just need to get the stuff to put on top of it  $good$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #800 on: October 04, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »

’m probably  as inexpert as you but think I’d be looking at something living rather than artificial turf. 

I guess you are looking to lower maintenance and that is a problem we are facing although I guess our problems and solutions will be different.  I don’t think I’d realised anywhere close to how much my mother was doing outside until arthritis and I guess general old age has really slowed her down over the past few years. I don’t have the same degree of dedication or even her stamina of old.

For us so far. We have planted fruit trees in a couple of the veg squares.  We still have some roses to remove but I have removed some small flower beds that had got over grown between a few trees.  I don’t suppose it will ever be as nice as when mum had things at their best but we should get to a point where I can simply mow/strim and keep things looking tidy. And in the veg area still have room for favourites such as a good sampling of new potatoes.

There is a back bed at the front of the house where mum seems to think hydrangeas are the answer. Apparently the need little other than an annual dead heading and should fill the area out while reducing the need for constant weeding.  We did get 2 new ones this year but I think a few more are needed.

Thanks Squiggle I really have no time, knowledge or desire to do a lot of gardening. I just want it to look as little a mess with a little effort as possible! These flower beds are a nightmare for weeds they can grow a few meters high in just a couple of months! So I'm happy I've got the liner down to stop them and I just need something presentable for now. We do have a row at the top that has some small trees planted that look very nice and are easy to maintain.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #801 on: October 04, 2017, 01:19:28 pm »
Thanks Squiggle I really have no time, knowledge or desire to do a lot of gardening. I just want it to look as little a mess with a little effort as possible! These flower beds are a nightmare for weeds they can grow a few meters high in just a couple of months! So I'm happy I've got the liner down to stop them and I just need something presentable for now. We do have a row at the top that has some small trees planted that look very nice and are easy to maintain.

Sure born2run, I know aims, time, desires and abilities vary. I'm also aware of weeds (and I fear there is the dreaded creeping thistle on the farm patch) that grow tall and thick - put the big strimmer through "walls" of weed recently but yes, even a freshly dug veg square can quickly turn to weed and it can need a daily routine...

I've always enjoyed eating fresh produce but never thought of myself as a gardener (outside bits of  grass cutting).  I think one of my first efforts here came when mum found watering harder.  For round the back, I set up a series of water butts, used a solar panel and marine fresh water pump and between that and the micro irrigation bits, we can do the veg plot and the small greenhouses by pressing buttons on tap timers.  I was happy as "garden tech".

Then I take on the salad bits and like growing the tomatoes etc.  I think this year, I became more aware of how we were loosing more ground which leads on to the new tools and me trying to be responsible for more and the looking at simplifying some bits. 

I guess some things sort of creep up on you, although I think I'll enjoy my increased role again.  I don't at this stage see myself as becoming a flower gardner or the person going round daily pulling up weeds.

It's not been the easiest of years this year with dad in hospital for a couple of months, and mum in for a week (which believe it or not started with a cut from a tomato tin and turned into a nasty infection) and things got more out of control than ever but I think we are heading in the right directions, as far as we can foresee anyway..

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #802 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:43 pm »
On another subject, not many to do this year but there will be a little bit of apple juicing to do soon. Our old method was to put them through an electric juicer. It was quite a factory, on a good year, maybe two wheelbarrow fulls to juice. Mum washing and cutting, me pushing them through, pouring the juice into demijohns from which I would later sypohon off the nice (in this case, pink) juice into bottles for the freezer. Other bits like the cleaning out of "sludge" were split tasks.

We later got one of these apple presses and a pulping thing.  I know things, including the yeild from the old apple tree we liked to juice have changed but it can seem to me that we got more juice per apple plus the juice looked nicer (pink vs brown) our old way.

I know the presses are an old established way and that when you look at the ads, these things just pour out juice and am aware I might be doing something wrong.  Anyone with any experience with them or opinions over both possible methods?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #803 on: October 04, 2017, 04:21:21 pm »
I can see where you're coming from - I would love to be able to grow fruit or vegetables as I'd be getting something tangible out of it for my efforts! It just looks like a complex thing to get into and I really don't have time. Flowers do look nice but then I think the effort outweighs the result. We live in a pretty nice part of the world I can take a walk up Conwy mountain or to the beach at lunch times with no effort at all and see all the beauty I want to see. I'm just happy if my garden is not covered with 10 foot weeds that look like monstors out of a 50s sci fi!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #804 on: October 14, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »
I've just come back home after taking my dog for a walk and went past a man on a main road using one of those noisy leaf blowing machines.

Nothing unusual about that I suppose,  except that the wind on this high ground must be around 40 mph at present , much stronger that the 18 mph that was forecast for the town.           &shake&

The only good thing was that the gardener was getting paid for his effort, no doubt his services will be required again after Monday.     ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #805 on: October 30, 2017, 01:17:46 pm »
In my garden this year I've noticed that the Autumn colours haven't been as good as they were last year, the Acers in particular were not so good.

Just past the Swallow Falls Hotel there is a car park with a Maple in it that I'd love to have in my garden but although it was a nice colour it wasn't as vibrant as I have seen it in the past.    Perhaps the cold weather that has been forecast may turn the leaves a brighter colour?

Has anyone noticed the Virginia Creepers on the  roof of the cafe Ty Hwnt i'r bont in Llanrwst?     It used to be an outstanding red colour at this time of the year but now looks as if it's dead

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »
In my area, we saw what we think is an ornamental cherry that looked quite splendid in its autumn colours but I can't remember where. I can't think beyond that.

Drifting a little and moving to our garden round the back in the field. I think that for me, that our later in the season star has long gone for the year.  Not leaf colours but a self set rowan mum left to grow in one of the pigsty openings. It looks superb in berries. Overall star is probably a silver birch planted when she came here and is now very tall - it looks good fully leaved or "naked".  I think I have to wait till spring for the next real show of colour that side.  Lots of hawthorn and blackthorn around and some fruit trees blossom.

Offline hollins

« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2017, 03:19:58 pm »
I know what you mean about the acers Hugo but how about this for a new autumn colour?
Ceanothus in flower, photo taken yesterday!

Offline DVT

« Reply #808 on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:04 pm »
The weather has a major affect on the colours in autumn, the trees have been fooled by it, and the recent winds have not helped trees hang onto their leaves.  The acers are particularly colourful with a huge variety of colours, whilst there are many plants that are flowering at what seem to be the wrong times!  Still well worth a visit to the popular gardens in the area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #809 on: October 30, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
That's nice to see those plants flowering so well at this time of the year.     I've been waiting for the Geraniums to stop flowering so that I can pull them out of their pots and plant some Daffodil bulbs instead but the Geraniums are still doing well.
I'm going to have to be a bit ruthless soon but I just don't like pulling the Geraniums up when they are providing a nice display