Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336163 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #840 on: March 02, 2018, 02:40:26 pm »
Well done squigglev 2  it's bad enough for humans with this weather but those little creatures need all the help that they can get in these atrocious conditions.
My garden's well stocked with food and like you I make sure that they have the water too..

Just as a side issue I was due to see someone that you know in Pydew this week but I called it off as there is no safe way in or out of the village at present.  I'll arrange a meeting when the weather improves and post something on the forum so you'll be able to swap tales with him about the Swan and the village life.  It'll be something to look forward to.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #841 on: March 02, 2018, 03:02:48 pm »
 Send my regards to the Mayor of Pydew when you visit Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #842 on: March 03, 2018, 09:20:11 am »
I will do spotty dog         $good$

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #843 on: March 03, 2018, 01:47:32 pm »
Well done squigglev 2  it's bad enough for humans with this weather but those little creatures need all the help that they can get in these atrocious conditions.
My garden's well stocked with food and like you I make sure that they have the water too..

Hopefully I’ve got a treat for them today, Hugo.  While tidying a cupboard, I found a stray (we are well stocked with our favourite basmati and arborio and I can’t work out where this came from) packet of rice. By coincidence, while looking something else up, I found the RSPB site say.
"Cooked rice, brown or white (without salt added) is beneficial and readily accepted by all species during severe winter weather. Uncooked rice may be eaten by birds such as pigeons, doves and pheasants but is less likely to attract other species."

So I’ve cooked some of the pack today and if they like it, they can have the rest over the next couple of days.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #844 on: March 04, 2018, 07:58:31 am »
Just noting that no birds ate the cooked rice. I guess some might have taken it if nothing else had been available but it does not seem to be a food of choice for any of our visitor to the garden.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #845 on: March 04, 2018, 11:58:32 am »
I used to bake any spuds that were going soft in the microwave and put them out where we lived before. The starlings used to go mad for them. Never see a starling here !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #846 on: March 04, 2018, 05:24:54 pm »
I thought of the starling as a common bird when I lived in Pydew but it’s not a bird I see here either.

Anyway. Back to the garden- ish.  There are a few piles of snow but in general, the thaw has been very quick around the garden here.  It’s a bit chaotic out there at the moment but this is a scene from round the back.

The first  is about as snowy as it got here. The snow actually cleared quite quickly from the farmed/ploughed part of the land because of strong winds (and at times, it looked like smoke blowing across the field ) but there was little change with the rest until today.  The second picture is around lunchtime today.

Offline DVT

« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »
All trimmed and tied up ready for the fabulous display in a couple of months time ... gardeners Laura and Dave spent four weeks pruning and tying the branches to the structure - over 20,000 pieces of string and all the knots face the same direction - such dedication.  Looks quite spectacular even without the leaves and the flowers ... all ready for the 4,000 visitors each day during it's flowering period (mid-May to mid-June, keep an eye on the Bodnant Garden NT website).

Offline hollins

« Reply #848 on: March 11, 2018, 08:01:31 am »
Thanks DVT. Really interesting to have insider info!

Offline hollins

« Reply #849 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:37 pm »
Top pic 8 April 2018, bottom pic 8 April 2017!

Offline DVT

« Reply #850 on: April 09, 2018, 09:29:36 am »
The seasons are changing with some odd results.  This year's frosty days are much later than last year so accounts for the situation that Hollins' rhodies are in.

I am in Bodnant every Wednesday and Thursday and it is amazing just how much change can happen in a week.  I am in the fortunate position of being able to walk around the whole place during the day - I reckon I have the best job there - no gardening involved!  Last week the camelias on the bank behind the Pin Mill were looking good, yet they weren't noticeable the week before.  Daffodils on the park are at their best.  Rhodedendrons and azaleas (which are now labeled rhodedendron!) coming out as well.

I expect this week that more tulips will be out on the range border as soon as you enter the garden, later than they were last year - and the winter garden is still looking good despite what the calendar says!

Plenty more changes will happen over the next few weeks - spring just happens to be late this year!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #851 on: April 19, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
The last  few days have been quite warm and brought the Magnolia Stellata into flower in our garden

Offline DVT

« Reply #852 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:40 pm »
Magnolias at their best in Bodnant now ... and there are some very small flower buds on the laburnum ... difficult to predict when it will be in it's full glory as nature is being fooled by the ever-changing weather.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #853 on: April 20, 2018, 12:03:58 pm »
Thanks for the info DVT.     

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #854 on: April 25, 2018, 12:30:08 pm »
We have several of these plants growing in the garden, they look like some exotic lilly, anyone know what they are?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas