Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 639540 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1845 on: February 01, 2018, 10:52:36 am »
I don't believe a move to Parc Llandudno is a goer for M&S. If nothing else, the car park there can't cope with existing demand, let alone with the hundreds of additional shoppers that would patronise an M&S.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1846 on: February 01, 2018, 11:42:08 am »
I'd add that there's nothing wrong with Aldi's produce, either; we've only just started investigating them and their fresh orange juice is every bit as good as Tropicana, for far less.

Investigate the fresh meat, all British and we haven't had anything yet that hasn't been excellent....................and my OH won't eat any rubbish. The frozen chicken is from Thailand, which I buy for the dog, but wouldn't fancy ourselves. The frozen lean mince is excellent, no fatty, rubbery bits, makes a tasty cottage pie.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1847 on: February 01, 2018, 11:52:42 am »
The rib eye and fillet steaks in Aldi are wonderful and are excellent value-for-money.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1848 on: February 01, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »
The rib eye and fillet steaks in Aldi are wonderful and are excellent value-for-money.

So is the Braising Steak. ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:37:33 pm by Ian »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1849 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:28 pm »
Aldi has the best yoghurt and chocolate too of any of the supermarkets.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1850 on: February 02, 2018, 04:56:23 pm »
New Look is fairly large in terms of ground area, so they could take that and slap a couple of storeys on. And being next to Debenhams it would be a fit, of sorts.

And New Look is apparently looking to get rid of stores to stay afloat. Maybe M&S will be able to do store swaps? As for parking I can't see how M&S would attract more customers than they do now so where are all the extra cars going to come from? The bus stops aren't much further away either at the Court and Coach Park.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1851 on: February 06, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »
New Look shop axe threat could hit stores in North Wales
The retail brand has eight shops in the region and is considering closures.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/new-look-shop-axe-threat-14253229

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1852 on: February 09, 2018, 10:10:41 am »
Rumour ........M&S moving to the Outfit store,  also using the space behind ?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1853 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:34 pm »

I was told the same thing by a Marks Floor Supervisor. Complete takeover of the corner pathway plot as well and they propose to go up another floor as well. As I think was said earlier the ASDA codicil about shops selling food on the site was only for 10 years, so that won't be a problem. No more collect by car problems and with up to date logistics, no need for the large warehouse either. Smart move by Marks, bad move for retail in Mostyn Street.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1854 on: February 09, 2018, 01:06:10 pm »

I was told the same thing by a Marks Floor Supervisor. Complete takeover of the corner pathway plot as well and they propose to go up another floor as well. As I think was said earlier the ASDA codicil about shops selling food on the site was only for 10 years, so that won't be a problem. No more collect by car problems and with up to date logistics, no need for the large warehouse either. Smart move by Marks, bad move for retail in Mostyn Street.

Part of the  rumour was that they were going to turn the coach park into parking ? As is mostly used as a drop off point, the coaches then  go to Builder's st. For free parking ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1855 on: February 28, 2018, 03:48:59 pm »
Maplin collapses into administration with stores now at risk
The brand has two shops in North Wales which now face uncertain future.

Graham Harris, Maplin's chief executive, said: "I can confirm this morning that it has not been possible to secure a solvent sale of the business and as a result we now have no alternative but to enter into an administration process."

Maplin's administrators will keep the retailer's stores open, and will continue to operate the electronics retailer's website while searching for firms interested in buying parts of the business.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/maplin-llandudno-wrexham-stores-closing-14348106

Not local but part of an increasing trend.....
Toys R Us stores to close and clearance sale will see stock sold off.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/toys-r-stores-close-clearance-14346385

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1856 on: March 01, 2018, 09:56:10 am »
Regarding the trend mentioned above.......

Carpetright shares plunge on new profit warning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43239036

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1857 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:20 am »
Regarding the trend mentioned above.......

Carpetright shares plunge on new profit warning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43239036

About 3 years ago, I discussed with Dave R ‘shorting’ Carpetright... which involves betting on your belief that the shareprice will fall.
That was based on the fact they were selling very little, at a pathetic profit margin, and the rents on their stores were huge.  It was obvious they were in trouble

The shares have fallen 93% in the last 3 years, and had we put £10k into my scheme, we would have made well over £200k by now.
But of course, we didn’t bother.  &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1858 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:32 pm »
Fester,   :(    :(

This probably should be on the Hotel's thread, but to continue the theme, Italian restaurant chain Prezzo, earmarked for the new Tudno development is in trouble.

Prezzo set to close 100 restaurants in rescue attempt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43232491

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1859 on: March 01, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »
In effect Steve, this is simply confirmation of what we already knew.
That being, the recession never ended.
We’ve been bumping along the bottom for 10 years, buoyed by fictitious printed money, which we are no nearer paying back.
All these large businesses have struggled against minimum wage pressures, low inflation and cheap competition for too long, and they’re finally caving in under a mountain of debt.

Costs are too high, margins are too low, and customers have insufficient disposable income.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -