Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 636346 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1860 on: March 01, 2018, 02:32:23 pm »
Yep; 10 years on from the original bank-induced financial crisis, major companies now have their backs against the wall. Next and Debenhams are not looking too healthy, either.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1861 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:59 pm »
11 products from Aldi, Lidl, Primark and elsewhere being urgently recalled
Food products, bicycles and chargers are included on the list.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/11-products-aldi-lidl-primark-14424139

Online SteveH

« Reply #1862 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:08 pm »
Regarding the trend mentioned above.......
Carpetright shares plunge on new profit warning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43239036
Carpetright stores in North Wales under closure threat
The chain has stores in Llandudno, Bangor, Wrexham, Rhyl and Flint.

Embattled retailer Carpetright is set to close poorly-performing stores.

The group said it was "exploring" a company voluntary arrangement to help shore up its financial position, a move which would allow it to close loss-making shops and secure deep discounts on rental costs.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/carpetright-closure-north-wales-store-14438869

Online SteveH

« Reply #1863 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:21 am »
Annual profits at Next have fallen 8% after what the retailer described as its most challenging year for 25 years.

"The middle market is suffering and there isn't a way back home," Kate Hardcastle, from consultancy Insight with Passion, told the BBC.

"I think retail generally in this market place has been quite lazy. As soon as consumers had an alternative option that are perhaps are a better price, better product or faster moving product, I think they've taken it.

"So you've seen the rise of Primark on the discount side, Asos and Zara on the more fashion-orientated side and a consumer very much influenced by Instagram and social media.

"It's just too much of a turnaround, too much of a challenge for these quite heavyweight retailers who have expected to trade the way they always have.," Ms Hardcastle said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43512375

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1864 on: March 23, 2018, 01:15:50 pm »
Annual profits at Next have fallen 8% after what the retailer described as its most challenging year for 25 years.

"The middle market is suffering and there isn't a way back home," Kate Hardcastle, from consultancy Insight with Passion, told the BBC.

"I think retail generally in this market place has been quite lazy. As soon as consumers had an alternative option that are perhaps are a better price, better product or faster moving product, I think they've taken it
"So you've seen the rise of Primark on the discount side, Asos and Zara on the more fashion-orientated side and a consumer very much influenced by Instagram and social media.

"It's just too much of a turnaround, too much of a challenge for these quite heavyweight retailers who have expected to trade the way they always have.," Ms Hardcastle said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43512375

Yet perversely, the share price of NEXT rose 8% today!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1865 on: March 23, 2018, 04:57:13 pm »
We noticed this afternoon that Store 21 has suddenly closed down in the Victoria Centre.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1866 on: March 23, 2018, 09:14:21 pm »
Bri, it’s not been a proper STORE 21 for a year at least.
It hasn’t stocked a range of anything.
Whoever has been running the lease has simply been getting rid of job lots of discount stock, commonly known as jobbing stock.
Pallet loads of crap which have been written off by other businesses, and disposed.
It’s been an embarrassment really.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1867 on: March 24, 2018, 02:39:56 am »
Very interesting, Fester.

We also noticed another shop being emptied on the corner of Trinity Avenue and Mostyn Street.

I suppose you could have called it a ladies accessories shop near Trinity Church next door to the newsagents which is next door to Subway.

Online SteveH

« Reply #1868 on: March 24, 2018, 10:56:48 am »
Very interesting, Fester.

We also noticed another shop being emptied on the corner of Trinity Avenue and Mostyn Street.

I suppose you could have called it a ladies accessories shop near Trinity Church next door to the newsagents which is next door to Subway.

Bri, just noticed the time of your above post,  ???   late night or early riser.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1869 on: March 24, 2018, 12:36:17 pm »
Neither, SteveH.

Bathroom visit.  D)

I wonder if Fester ever gets disappointed because he never gets ask that question  $lol$

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1870 on: March 24, 2018, 04:10:39 pm »
New shop opening in Conwy Town, a bakery, haven't they noticed we have two already ! I will give them 12 months tucked away on Bangor Road. We need a fish shop, a Stermat type store, No more Coffee shops, Cafes and gift shops please.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1871 on: March 24, 2018, 07:01:12 pm »
New shop opening in Conwy Town, a bakery, haven't they noticed we have two already ! I will give them 12 months tucked away on Bangor Road. We need a fish shop, a Stermat type store, No more Coffee shops, Cafes and gift shops please.

Llandudno needs a decent bakery too, not the type that produces pink iced buns, gingerbread men, things with jam and desecrated in coconut and all the other stuff from the 1950's. We need a proper patisserie, one that demands you to eat the whole content of the window display no matter what the calorie count or the likelihood of feeling extremely sick afterwards!
And they can stick a coffee shop in there too so you don't have to wait until you get home to scoff as many as you can!!!

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1872 on: March 24, 2018, 08:43:35 pm »
I love the idea of desecrated coconut...things have moved on....it was desi cated in my day. It seems you have to put a gap in the word to avoid auto correction

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1873 on: March 24, 2018, 09:14:19 pm »
I love the idea of desecrated coconut...things have moved on....it was desi cated in my day. It seems you have to put a gap in the word to avoid auto correction

A word play I think. You don't desiccate something in coconut, it's the coconut itself which is desiccated. If you look at the context it's likely they meant desecrate as in ruin.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1874 on: March 24, 2018, 09:36:41 pm »

It has always had the nickname of 'constipated coconut' in our house as my OH hates the stuff !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.