Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638593 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 07:13:27 pm »
TK Maxx would be an excellent candidate for the Aldi site..... but not as THOSE rents!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2011, 07:18:27 pm »
22 empty premises in Ruthin at present too

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
Perhaps the rise of the Internet has led to a complete shift with regard to the role of the High Street? Previously, it was only the larger companies that could afford to have a shop on a town's main street, due to the very high rent and rates. Now, a lot of those companies have gone but the rent/rates are still far too high for any local business to contemplate taking a shop. What's the solution?

Yorkie

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
The Landlords who have had it so good for so long must be satisfied with less!  They will also be the losers, no money coming in, no money for repairs, upkeep suffers, structure deteriorates and eventually crumbles into a pile of dust!   L0L

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:23 am »
I think that's right; the landlords have been enjoying a field day for years, but it's coming to an end, now, and they have to adjust.

I suspect that increased internet shopping  - while it may not kill the high street - will certainly transform it. I doubt many folk will be happy buying shoes or flowers from the internet, and items like wallpaper (for those who like it) are still going to have to be seen and touched. But the real problem is the rents, as Yorkie says.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 08:20:29 am »
The question is how long Landlords will hold out before capitulating on the rent? A few shops along Mostyn Street have been empty for several years (the old Going Places shop between Peacocks and Gimberts springs to mind). In that time, the Landlord has paid out three years worth of rates (£30-40,000 in total), plus paid for extensive repairs and redecoration. All this without receiving a penny in rent. They are currently asking £50,000 a year rent.

EDIT: I just checked and that particular shop is owned by:
BOOTS THE CHEMISTS LTD
PROPERTY DIVISION               
1 THANE ROAD WEST               
NOTTINGHAM     

Was it once a Boots shop maybe?                 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:13 am »
not just rent (for years I have thought, better a lower rent than no rent) its high business rates too  :rage:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2011, 09:52:53 am »
EDIT: I just checked and that particular shop is owned by:
BOOTS THE CHEMISTS LTD
PROPERTY DIVISION     

That's not good news.  Boots will be content to allow that property to remain on their books as an asset, I suspect,  and won't worry to much about the occasional outlays.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:46 pm »
With Regard to Alworths, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the Mayor's comments regarding its closure.

She said in the NWWN  (and I'm paraphrasing) ''maybe it wasn't supported properly by the local community''

Two questions, Firstly what planet is she on?  A shop is somewhere that offers something that you can't resist buying...and in return it makes money and survives.  Who in thier right mind thinks, oh poor Alworths looks like its struggling,  I think I'll pop down there and buy a basket full of stuff I don't need, just to help them out.  Total nonsense.

Second question .... since the opening ceremony by the oh so critical Mayor, how many times has SHE been down there to stock up on pick'n'mix?

In fact, I've been a little worried about Gimberts glassware recently, there was no one in today when I passed ... so I am off to buy an over priced vase that I don't like.... just to make sure they don't close down.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »
With Regard to Alworths, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the Mayor's comments regarding its closure.

She said in the NWWN  (and I'm paraphrasing) ''maybe it wasn't supported properly by the local community''
I noticed that as well. It just shows how out of touch some of our elected representatives are.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:01 pm »

I noticed that as well. It just shows how out of touch some of our elected representatives are.

Was she elected to the position of Mayor?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:21 am »

Was she elected to the position of Mayor?
Well, she was elected to be a Toytown Councillor, and they then had a raffle to decide who should be Mayor for the year. Runner up gets a packet of Polos.

Yorkie

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:06 am »
Well, she was elected to be a Toytown Councillor, and they then had a raffle to decide who should be Mayor for the year. Runner up gets a packet of Polos.

And even then the raffle was rigged by all the old hands!     L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 11:48:54 am »
Next Clearance in Mostyn Street is closing at the end of August.

Yorkie

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:07 pm »
I think very soon we should erect a new sign at the top of Penrhryn Hill saying:

SORRY - LLANDUDNO IS CLOSED!

$eu      $uk      $wales      $walesflag$