Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 638633 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #1800 on: November 16, 2017, 10:21:20 am »
With all the problems of finding alternative accommodation, just why is M & S leaving the prime site in Mostyn Street?

Offline mull

« Reply #1801 on: November 16, 2017, 11:50:28 am »
With no room to expand, it must be a nightmare having 2 shops with St Johns in between and little wharehouse room at the back.
How about the Pier Pavillion site with parking areas on the prom/Happy Valley area. Needs someone with a bit of imagination that can encourage them to stay in Llandudno town centre before they mpve off to Llandudno Junction.

If you stand still llandudno will become a ghost town.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1802 on: November 16, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »
From a customer point of view I can't understand how anyone can do a significant amount of shopping in M & S or anywhere else in town. The nearest places we can normally find to park on a weekend are near Tudno school or near the Oval. Wouldn't fancy trekking that distance with heavy bags.

I wonder how much revenue the multi story car park actually makes? If they made that free then it would be a massive boost to the (often empty) shops in the Victoria centre and to the town as a whole.

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1803 on: November 16, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »
It has a lot to do with internet shopping Hugo , plus the business rates also the ground rent from Mostyn Estates .
The brickwork site at the Junction may have planning permission but I dont think anyone has made an offer to purchase the site .
M & S wont have Mostyn Estates to deal with if they move to this site .

Offline Goofey2

« Reply #1804 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
As a resident of Conwy CBC area I generally do not want to stay in town more than an hour and a half, which is one thing that Conwy council are generous about!!

Those who arrive in Llandudno for the day should pay, like we have to pay when we go anywhere else ... Chester, Wrexham, Southport etc.

M&S moving to the Junction would be a blow to the town, however I would favour a move anywhere if they were open longer hours during the week. Any 9 to 5 workers struggle to do any shopping there, I usually rush around the store for the last 15 minutes.

As for the Victoria Centre, that cold looking and feeling place with the turn over of shops reflecting the high rates.  One shop did give me a figure they had to make per day to profit, cannot remember exact figure but it did seem unsustainable.

I look forward to further announcements and probably a lot more debate.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1805 on: November 16, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
From a customer point of view I can't understand how anyone can do a significant amount of shopping in M & S or anywhere else in town. The nearest places we can normally find to park on a weekend are near Tudno school or near the Oval. Wouldn't fancy trekking that distance with heavy bags.

I wonder how much revenue the multi story car park actually makes? If they made that free then it would be a massive boost to the (often empty) shops in the Victoria centre and to the town as a whole.

To be fair, M & S offer the invaluable 'collect by car' arrangement, so there's no need to lug heavy bags around.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1806 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »
As a resident of Conwy CBC area I generally do not want to stay in town more than an hour and a half, which is one thing that Conwy council are generous about!!

Those who arrive in Llandudno for the day should pay, like we have to pay when we go anywhere else ... Chester, Wrexham, Southport etc.

M&S moving to the Junction would be a blow to the town, however I would favour a move anywhere if they were open longer hours during the week. Any 9 to 5 workers struggle to do any shopping there, I usually rush around the store for the last 15 minutes.

As for the Victoria Centre, that cold looking and feeling place with the turn over of shops reflecting the high rates.  One shop did give me a figure they had to make per day to profit, cannot remember exact figure but it did seem unsustainable.

I look forward to further announcements and probably a lot more debate.

I agree can usually do everything I want in town in 90 minutes (except for church on Sunday) but even given that, it's still extremely hard to find a space anywhere near town, especially during the summer. The Colwyn Bay shopping centre is free to park for I think 2 and 3 hours if they did the same in the Victoria Centre car park more people would come into town instead of going to the retail parks. We've got a beautiful town but we aren't making use of its best assets and instead pushing things towards ugly retail parks that you can see in any town or city. Sooner or later the people from nearby towns will stop coming and go to the Bangor/Rhyl retail parks instead. I would if I were them  $walesflag$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1807 on: November 16, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »

I agree can usually do everything I want in town in 90 minutes (except for church on Sunday) but even given that, it's still extremely hard to find a space anywhere near town, especially during the summer.

I have to say that we pop into Llandudno 3 - 4 times a week,sometimes more often, summer and winter, for a coffee and to shop at M & S foodhall and don't have any problems finding a parking space within a few minutes. We've just come back from Llandudno and even with the closed roads for the Christmas Market, didn't have any problem parking - straight into a space in Mostyn Street. Just luck...? Perhaps, for decades now.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1808 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:40 am »
I'm betting you're probably more of an aggressive driver than my Wife! Also she'll drive past spaces that could fit the Titanic because she thinks our SUV won't get in there!

Joking aside though I'm sure Llandudno high streets are regarding as a nightmare. On a facebook post someone wrote that Llandudno has "Third world parking" which was a bit harsh as I'd think people in the third world would have more to worry about than how close they can park to Marks & Spencers.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1809 on: November 17, 2017, 09:58:50 am »
Parking in Llandudno isn't great but can you name a Victorian town that doesn't have that issue? These are old towns we live in and the design of them pre-dates cars, Conwy Council and the town council have to do the best with the buildings/road lay outs they've got.

As for the high street, Mostyn Street is fairly good compared to other towns like it. I mean, as a 25-year-old there's pretty much nothing for me but I don't expect there to be.

I use M&S for the Bureau de Change and the foodhall. I like a browse in Waterstones (very rarely buying anything I'm afraid to say). Boots is handy for my SO and I have shopped in Trespass once. HMV is good for a nosy around. Not much other than that really, shopping wise. WHSmiths *maybe* if I'm after a magazine.

I think I'm just a member of a generation that does not shop very often. 
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1810 on: November 17, 2017, 10:37:33 am »
More likely a member of a generation which has very low disposable income.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1811 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:09 am »
Or a generation that doesn't waste money needlessly. Because let's face it anything you can get on the high street you can get on the internet a lot cheaper.  Our economy isn't geared towards high streets anymore this is sad.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1812 on: December 20, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »
A few weeks ago Mrs H and I had been looking all over Llandudno for a number of birthday cards but couldn't see any we liked and even the expensive cards weren't that good.   So we gave up looking and headed home, but stopped at Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay for one of their nice coffees.
When we came out of the cafe we decided to go next door to the newsagents to have a look, but not expecting to see anything we liked but we were very pleasantly surprised.    We came away with about six nice cards and they cost just over the price of one card in Clintons
So that's the first place I went to when I went to look for Mrs H's Christmas card and picked a really nice card     $good$

I won't tell her how little I paid for it though    :-[

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1813 on: December 20, 2017, 09:00:57 pm »
it,s the thought that counts H

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1814 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
Sainsbury’s has recalled a batch of their frozen “Taste the Difference” burgers due to fears over their link to a number of cases of E. coli - with customers being urged not to eat the product.

The batch in question is the Taste The Difference Aberdeen Angus Quarter Pounder 454g (Frozen), with “Best Before End” dates of July 2018, September 2018 and October 2018.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sainsburys-recalling-product-over-e-14088205