Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1012118 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:57 pm »
I seem to remeber that we once had some sort of vote/poll on what was the best Chippy in the area? Perhaps we could have another one - my vote would go to the Galleon in Conwy - eating chips whilst sitting on the Quay watching the world go by - perfect!  ;D

Offline Paddy

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:39 pm »
I'm going to say Fish Tram Chips because they take so long you can have a beer in the King's Head while you wait. Well worth the wait though.

Offline Jack

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:48:27 pm »
I'm going to say Fish Tram Chips because they take so long you can have a beer in the King's Head while you wait. Well worth the wait though.
;D Has anyone been to Gardners lately?
Gardners is now operated by the guy that owns Casanovas Italian Restaurant above, making a real go of it too with far longer opening hours than before.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »
I seem to remeber that we once had some sort of vote/poll on what was the best Chippy in the area? Perhaps we could have another one - my vote would go to the Galleon in Conwy - eating chips whilst sitting on the Quay watching the world go by - perfect!  ;D

I will give a mention here to the Chippie at West Shore, (On Great Orme's Rd)
He opens very decent hours,  the Fish was excellent ....and his price very reasonable.

NEVER buy fish and chips at the Summit Complex ....I got stung for £8.95,  and I was paying for 3 ....so a total of £27 for fish and chips without even getting a cup of tea, bread or anything....shocking.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
I've not tried the St. George's Plaice chippy yet - has anyone?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:05:13 am »
NEVER buy fish and chips at the Summit Complex

Interestingly, as long as I've known the place the Summit cafe has never really managed to appeal to folk. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael W

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »
I've not tried the St. George's Plaice chippy yet - has anyone?
We tried the fish and chips one evening a couple of weeks ago. Took a chance on the seagulls, and sat on the front to eat them. They were very nice.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:45 am »
Took a chance on the seagulls, and sat on the front to eat them. They were very nice.

Never had a seagull.  Were they fried or on the bone?

:D :D :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:23 am »
Took a chance on the seagulls, and sat on the front to eat them. They were very nice.

Never had a seagull.  Were they fried or on the bone?

:D :D :D
Thats quality Ian... _))* _))*
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:53 am »
We tried the fish and chips one evening a couple of weeks ago. Took a chance on the seagulls, and sat on the front to eat them. They were very nice.

The hollow bones mean you get more weight for your money !!! :laugh: _))* :o
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:43:37 am by Ian »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:04 am »
Nemesis:  I modified your posting to make the quote work.  Somehow, you'd got both 'end' quote things, instead of a 'start' quote and an 'end' qute .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:31:23 pm »
Sorry--- thanks for that :rage:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:58:41 pm »
Fat Cat Cafe Bar.

This evening we finally got round to taking up the Fat Cat manager's kind offer of a complimentary meal for two to make up for the bad experience we had a couple of months ago.

In short this evening's meal, service and general experience were as good as last time's was bad. The fish and chips were excellent and I'm told by my wife that the ribs were especially good. Although I think we may well have been given a slightly bigger than normal portion it was too much for both of us to finish. The service was attentive without being in your face and they wouldn't even accept payment for the drinks which was a nice touch.I'll be writing to let the manager and the head office know of the all round improvement  All in all a good night out.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:59:58 pm »
Had a superb lunch at The Empire today. It was our Pensioners' Club periodic meeting.
Many thanks to all the staff there.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:53 pm »
The Empire is a well managed and slick operation.
I used to stay there regularly as a visitor before I had the sense to buy a house here...and save money!

I still eat in the poolside restaurant regularly, (the last time only last Thursday) ...it is amazing value at only £15.65 per head,  which includes 4 courses and 1/4 carafe of wine each.    Top notch!

As far as the Fat Cat is concerned, apart from one blip a few weeks ago when the chef let them down, the food and service there is very hard to beat.

Its a tough choice which one to eat in, so I flip between both.    (and there are a many other good value propositions in Upper Mostyn St and close by.. The Emperor,  The Rose Tor, and just round the corner ..the Asia and Valentinos are all excellent in thier own different ways.

Fester...