Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1012021 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:18 am »
When I was in Wetherspoons the other day, I was struck by the number of people who appear to spend all day in there, there seems to be quite a large group who congregate around the large tables by the bar and Fester said that they are already in there at 9.30am when he calls in for a bacon bap. I looked at them whilst I waited to order my burger and and the phrase that popped into my head was 'living dead' - these people are merely existing, nothing more. And who is paying for all their alcohol?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 09:49:24 am »
Hate to say it, but probably indirectly   You Are
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Cartier

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 10:38:38 am »
Perhaps they are B+ B owners closed for the Winter?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 01:19:16 pm »
When I was in Wetherspoons the other day, I was struck by the number of people who appear to spend all day in there, there seems to be quite a large group who congregate around the large tables by the bar and Fester said that they are already in there at 9.30am when he calls in for a bacon bap. I looked at them whilst I waited to order my burger and and the phrase that popped into my head was 'living dead' - these people are merely existing, nothing more. And who is paying for all their alcohol?

Whilst I like going there every so often for a meal, the thought of spending all day in there is horrifying! apart from anything else its so dark in there!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »
I remember talking to a guy at the bar years ago and he was chuffed as he'd recieved a benefit rise.  Not a problem I hear you say, until I asked him why he'd had the extra money. He said he'd applied for extra benefit as he was an alcoholic!  I couldn't believe it. It appears if you can prove you are alcohol dependant you can get the tax payer to pay.  Whilst I understand that alcoholism is a serious matter, surely it would be better to provide  help to these  individuals instead of financing the alcohol which is slowly causing their demise. )*)&
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:24 am »
I couldn't believe it. It appears if you can prove you are alcohol dependant you can get the tax payer to pay.

It's not quite that simple. If you're receiving treatment for a debilitating condition, which might be allied to alcoholism or of which alcoholism is a component, then your level of disability might be reassessed.  However, alcoholism is personality-related, so he might well have been assessed by a psychiatrist for any one of a number of mental illnesses. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cartier

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 11:15:54 am »
The cafe is closed until the end of the week because the relief cook assaulted the owner and threatened others, got taken away by the bussies. :o
The owner does not seem able to cook him self.

Yorkie

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »

Maybe he needs a bigger pot!     L0L

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »
Maybe he needs a bigger pot!     L0L
See now this post is an example of where I just wanted to put in lots of laughing smileys Yorkie, 'cos it made me laugh, however we've been asked not to by our moderators, so I'll have to write something too...................Oh I just have
 _))* _))* L0L L0L   WWW
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 04:02:13 pm »
I was going to go there tomorrow for one of their Magnificent 7 meals but can't now.   I'll have to survive on more biscuits at the coffee morning instead.     :(

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 05:45:40 pm »
The cafe is closed until the end of the week because the relief cook assaulted the owner and threatened others, got taken away by the bussies. :o

Which cafe is this? I hope its not Wetherspoons!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 07:31:55 pm »
Which cafe is this? I hope its not Wetherspoons!
No, its the customers that get assaulted in Wetherspoons, not the staff.  ;D

Orient Express is across the road from Wetherspoons, two doors down from Mr. Roberts' Newspaper Emporium.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:20 pm »
[No, its the customers that get assaulted in Wetherspoons, not the staff.  ;D

Orient Express is across the road from Wetherspoons, two doors down from Mr. Roberts' Newspaper Emporium.

L0L Thanks Dave, I was getting confused with all this Wetherspoons talk on this thread  ))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:59 am »
I found this news story very surprising, not to say disappointing:  :(

"CUSTOMERS fell ill with the stomach bug salmonella after eating food bought from a popular café, it was alleged yesterday.

Badgers café in Llandudno is facing five hygiene and cleanliness charges after an “outbreak” of the bug, the town’s Magistrates court heard.

Badgers, in the Victoria Shopping Centre on Mostyn Street, is accused of selling food deemed to be unfit for human consumption on or before September 26, 2009.

The food allegedly caused an illness due to “salmonella enteritidis PT14b”, the charge read yesterday said.

The case is being brought by Conwy county council council under Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2004 and the Food Safety 1990 Act.

The café is also accused of failing to put in place, implement and maintain hygiene procedures, on November 17, 2009.

The same charge was put to Badgers (Llandudno) Ltd, based at the same address, on or before September 22 and September 23 this year.

The fourth hygiene act charge is that Badgers is alleged to have failed to keep its premises clean and maintained in good repair and condition.

In a fifth charge, the same company is also said to have failed to effectively clean and where necessary disinfect all articles, fittings and equipment with which food comes into contact.

Staff are said to have failed to do so often enough to “avoid risk of contamination”.

Finally Badgers (Llandudno) Ltd is accused of a sixth offence of offering for sale a natural yoghurt after its “use by” date expired.

This charge was brought under the Food Labelling Regulations Act 1996 and under the Food Safety Act 1990.

Prosecutor Stuart Dunn, of Conwy County Borough Council, told the court: “The proceedings follow an outbreak of stomach problems for a number of costumers.” He added that there was a “substantial amount” of technical evidence in the case and it was not yet ready to proceed. None of the charges have been proved. Magistrates adjourned the case until February 1, 2011."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2010/12/08/salmonella-at-llandudno-s-badgers-caf-made-diners-sick-55578-27785959/

Yorkie

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:18 pm »
Who are these costumers who were ill then?      )*)&   (Last paragraph)