Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016365 times)

Hammy and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3540 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:36 pm »
Looks somewhat quiet. ????

The photos I took upstairs are empty because it was closed up there at lunchtime during weekdays.
The downstairs ones were taken when the tables had cleared of customers around us because I did not want to invade their privacy.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3541 on: August 12, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
I thought it was good! I had low expectations following some very mixed reports but I enjoyed it, the whitebait starter was very good. It is pricey but you not paying for the food, you're paying to be in such a lovely space - that said I thought upstairs was quite loud, very echo-y. Nothing there to soak up all the chatter. Still, good to see it so busy. If it was 20% cheaper I'd be a regular customer I think, but alas...

That's good Tom. I am glad I am not the only one trying to support a new local business. I thought it an excellent new venue and look forward to returning and trying the upstairs too.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3542 on: August 12, 2017, 04:08:47 pm »
that said I thought upstairs was quite loud, very echo-y. Nothing there to soak up all the chatter. Still, good to see it so busy.

That seems to be a trend in modern eateries. Lots of hard surfaces and few curved surfaces and it makes even normal conversation grow louder, which starts the vicious circle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #3543 on: August 13, 2017, 02:13:51 pm »
Eaten some lovely food at Dylans, I do go for the fish there.  I agree about the habit of hard surfaces and echoes these days it is annoying.  The Opera Grill in Chester is deafening when busy as is Piccolinos.  I recall Gigolos in Llandudno being clattery though.  I can see their point quick to clean unlike carpeting and drapes but blooming annoying all the same. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3544 on: August 15, 2017, 10:17:46 am »
Is it true that a planning application has been submitted to change the Listers shop in Gloddaeth Street into another restaurant?
It's going to be a chip shop, I believe....

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3545 on: August 15, 2017, 02:38:54 pm »
Is it true that a planning application has been submitted to change the Listers shop in Gloddaeth Street into another restaurant?
It's going to be a chip shop, I believe....

So that whole area which was about 80% retail and 20% food and drink will soon become the other way around.
Only a matter of time before Gimberts becomes a coffee shop, after all I never see anyone buying anything in there and the rent must be massive.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3546 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »
Makes sense a lot of people buy stuff online these days. You can't have a coffee or a chip butty online (although that'll probably be next)  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3547 on: August 15, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »
Restaurant chain Pizza Express is to come to Llandudno.

The restaurant group has signed up to go into the Tudno Castle Hotel site, which is currently being redeveloped.
Developers said the chain will take on a 2,800 sq ft retail unit on the ground floor of 'Tudno Point' after agreeing a 25 year lease.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/pizza-express-restaurant-coming-llandudno-13478342

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3548 on: August 15, 2017, 05:03:45 pm »
I'm all for more business coming into the town but it'll take a lot to persuade me to ditch favourite pizza place in town - Johnny Dough's.

Seems to be a national trend that towns are entirely taken over with eateries. In the heart of Newcastle I've lost count of the number of restaurants. Llandudno has just got Dylan's, is getting a Pizza Express AND a Beefeater in Tudno Castle. I see chat about the old Listers becoming a fish and chip shop. The London has been renovated and now does food...

There's certainly plenty of choice.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3549 on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:04 pm »
I hope that you are not too hungry Tom and waiting for the Castle Hotel to open

Mostyn Estates managing director Edward Hiller said: “The build period will take circa 18 months and initially repairs to the Grade 2 listed façade will take place prior to the commencement of the main build 

You must have tried all the restaurants in Llandudno but have you tried Signatures in Conwy?     It's a bit pricey but if you become a member then there are certain discounts offered to the members

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3550 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »
I'm all for more business coming into the town but it'll take a lot to persuade me to ditch favourite pizza place in town - Johnny Dough's.

Seems to be a national trend that towns are entirely taken over with eateries. In the heart of Newcastle I've lost count of the number of restaurants. Llandudno has just got Dylan's, is getting a Pizza Express AND a Beefeater in Tudno Castle. I see chat about the old Listers becoming a fish and chip shop. The London has been renovated and now does food...

There's certainly plenty of choice.

The London always used to do food until recently, but it was crap food.
Fester...

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3551 on: August 15, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
Right you are Fester, I think LC is looking for a more upmarket audience.

As for trying all the food places out... not even close! I've still not been to Lawtons, Romeos, Cambridge Mostyn, La Taverna, Osborne's... haven't been to The Gresham either since they overhauled their menu. 
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3552 on: August 16, 2017, 08:36:13 am »
Makes you wonder how they can all make money if Llandudno really is going quieter year-on-year.  :o

Interestingly Llandudno is quieter this week, and will be for the next two. The pattern of traffic in the town seems to be tied (as you might expect) to school holidays. But it was very busy last week and the two weeks before, but A level results are out this week, which takes out the 18+ market and possibly their parents, and next week GCSE follow, after which they're all getting ready for a return to school. Traffic then seems to increase during September, as the childless, the child-avoiders and grandparents all head for a quieter break, then things fall off again until Easter. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3553 on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:50 am »

As for trying all the food places out... not even close! I've still not been to Lawtons, Romeos, Cambridge Mostyn, La Taverna, Osborne's... haven't been to The Gresham either since they overhauled their menu.

Tom I see you haven't tried La Taverna in Church Walks yet. My advice, move it to the top of your list.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3554 on: August 16, 2017, 12:16:51 pm »

Romeo's was good, but then they got complacent, started cutting corners and our last 2 visits were pretty poor.
Given all the great places to eat around here, it's very unlikely we'll ever go back.
Fester...