Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015374 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3615 on: October 11, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »
I've just finished reading that. Great book - poor old Anglesey sea zoo!

I nearly went in there once, but shied away... is it really as bad as that?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #3616 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:32 pm »
So, in all, we agree, sadly, the Albion business model might not work in Llandudno.

The Albions business model in Conwy isn't so clever either, as their expansion into the Bridge is now a thing of the past. After the sale is complete you will at least be able to get a good wood fired pizza there courtesy of Johnny Dough's  $dins$
Might be more in that than a poor business model for a pub in Menai Bridge. There are possible people links between the two businesses as well and it might have been for other business reasons!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3617 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:49 pm »
I've just finished reading that. Great book - poor old Anglesey sea zoo!

I nearly went in there once, but shied away... is it really as bad as that?

I've only been when I was a kid - thought it was great then although I think I was more interested in the big park they had and the picnic food than any of the sea creatures!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3618 on: October 11, 2017, 04:22:37 pm »
Llandudno chip restaurant has gone up for sale for more than £1m
The deal includes the long established chippie and accommodation space.
Tribells has been selling fish and chips in Llandudno for 80 years.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-chip-restaurant-gone-up-13747710

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3619 on: October 11, 2017, 04:37:47 pm »
1 million pounds???? You could buy at least 10 bags of chips from there for that kind of money  _))*

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3620 on: October 11, 2017, 04:57:34 pm »
So, in all, we agree, sadly, the Albion business model might not work in Llandudno.

The Albions business model in Conwy isn't so clever either, as their expansion into the Bridge is now a thing of the past. After the sale is complete you will at least be able to get a good wood fired pizza there courtesy of Johnny Dough's  $dins$

Actually, I don't remember the Bridge being mentioned at all. The discussion was about the Albion. Whilst the Bridge may have been owned by the consortium that own the Albion, it is a totally different buisness model and has not been referred to here.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3621 on: October 13, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »
The benches in the same place, the bar just the same.
I see some emulsion on the walks and a new laminate floor.
Not much investment there.

According to the Pioneer this week - £50,000 was spent  :o

Have they been short changed?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3622 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:22 pm »
We had lunch at Home from Home Cooking at Penrhyn Bay today and enjoyed a Friday Special.   Fish chips and mushy peas with a salad garnish together with either a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.
At £10.00 per person it was very good value for money and the place was jam packed and other people waiting to go in.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3623 on: October 14, 2017, 04:13:20 pm »
The benches in the same place, the bar just the same.
I see some emulsion on the walks and a new laminate floor.
Not much investment there.

According to the Pioneer this week - £50,000 was spent  :o

Have they been short changed?

I'm not sure that THOSE invoices would stand up to much scrutiny by HMRC.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3624 on: October 16, 2017, 09:11:06 am »
I went Friday night and it was ....ok. The beer was much better than advertised on here being Guinness golden ale and Hobgoblin. They had a great band playing from Liverpool. Great jukebox, good pool tables and the screens looked good to me as well.
They posted a picture from Saturday showing the glory supporters derby and it looked packed so perhaps this will be the best place to watch live games going forward.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3625 on: October 26, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »
Llandudno restaurant and cafe on the market for £1m

The deal also includes five apartments above the main street in the seaside resort.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-restaurant-cafe-market-1m-13791851

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3626 on: October 28, 2017, 05:26:50 am »
Popped into the new Tapps in Madoc Street yesterday evening. Clean, fresh and simple with excellent beer, it's a nice refreshing and welcome change to Llandudno that deserves to do well.

The only downside was the bunch of 'hipster' clientele who thought it neccessary to converse by shouting at each other, oblivious to other customers.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3627 on: October 28, 2017, 11:29:35 am »
You did well to get in Bosun, we called by at about 8 and the place was heaving. Its pretty small so chances are its going to be hard to get a table most of the time. hopefully it pushes the other pubs to lift their game but i suspect its too small to really hurt them,

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3628 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
The Plas Maenan Country House near Llanrwst has been bought-out with a new restaurant also opening at the site.

Owner Mark Richards said: “We have run the Manor Hotel in Llandudno for the last nine years but always had an eye on the Plas Maenan.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/conwy-valley-hotel-snapped-up-13896185

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3629 on: November 13, 2017, 08:22:46 pm »
It's a nice hotel in a lovely location and we used to pop in there now and again just for a coffee and sit outside and enjoy the views.  Hope that we can still do something like that under the new ownership.