Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015702 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3660 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:09 pm »
I had one of their "Fishy Friday Specials" at Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay and really enjoyed it.    Fish, chips, mushy peas and a salad garnish plus either a glass of wine or bottle of lager and it was a delicious meal for £10.00    I'm not surprised that the place was packed         $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3661 on: January 22, 2018, 01:28:40 pm »
Thinking of your ten pound meal, Hugo, check this out for a shocker.......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42772609

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3662 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:50 pm »
That's a shocker Steve         :o         I wonder if there were any other customers were there at the time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3663 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:30 am »
Thinking of your ten pound meal, Hugo, check this out for a shocker.......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42772609

Definitely out of my league Steve, but I'll mention it to Tellytubby and Rhuddlan who might like to dine there on one of their many continental holidays.
More in my league is the Valentine evening at Home from Home Cooking in Penrhyn Bay.     A three course meal plus a glass of fizz on arrival and at £24.99 it's well worth it.     I've already  booked my table today so I can post the menu on here now.      ;D

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3664 on: January 30, 2018, 01:21:15 pm »
An historic inn that re-opened after a £1m redevelopment in 2016 will undergo a minor revamp to relaunch itself as a “gastro pub”.
The Tal-y-Cafn in the Conwy Valley was shut for six years after closing in 2010.
But after a six figure renovation by Castell Developments the site re-opened 18 months ago.
It enjoyed a stunning start with diners flocking to the inn but over time some of that trade fell away.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/1m-revamped-pub-close-again-14218698

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3665 on: February 01, 2018, 10:54:42 am »
An historic inn that re-opened after a £1m redevelopment in 2016 will undergo a minor revamp to relaunch itself as a “gastro pub”.
The Tal-y-Cafn in the Conwy Valley was shut for six years after closing in 2010.
But after a six figure renovation by Castell Developments the site re-opened 18 months ago.
It enjoyed a stunning start with diners flocking to the inn but over time some of that trade fell away.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/1m-revamped-pub-close-again-14218698
At the start, they were happily turning away customers. Perhaps they should have been more accommodating then?

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #3666 on: February 01, 2018, 06:52:53 pm »
I would use the Tal y Cafn more is they reinstated the childrens play area, that was something popular back in the day, it is dangerous for little ones there now with all the stones.

Home from Home, not a very romantic setting In my humble opinion.  Him indoors would not be popular if he chose there for our meal.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3667 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:41 pm »
Home from Home, not a very romantic setting In my humble opinion.  Him indoors would not be popular if he chose there for our meal.

So where would you recommend for that very romantic setting then?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3668 on: February 08, 2018, 12:50:11 pm »
McDonald's demolition and restaurant relocation set for go-ahead
Officers have given their verdict on the plan for two new restaurants.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/mcdonalds-llandudno-restaurant-mostyn-champneys-14262531

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3669 on: February 11, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
Chip fryer fire at the Lemon Tree cafe, mostly smoke damage.    Ref DP

Offline hollins

« Reply #3670 on: March 06, 2018, 01:26:50 pm »
A big thanks to Hugo for recommending the Toad.
We enjoyed the fish and chips there yesterday.
I had the "mini" portion £6 (see photo) and Mr H had the large £11.95. Mr H thought the Brakspear ale was delicious.
The service was friendly and efficient and the owner took the trouble to explain to us how the previous owner had made the quirky interior based on Toad of Toad Hall.
It was a bit grey yesterday but still nice to have the sea view.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3671 on: March 06, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the Toad, we normally have  the Stir fried chicken in ginger, garlic, mixed peppers & sweet chilli sauce for £6.00 Served with wild rice or hand cut chips but we ask for "half and half" and get both the rice and chips      ;D
When we go there in the evenings we ask for the window seats, there is one in the bar area and a big round one in the other room and then we  can enjoy the sea views while we are eating.
Those steps are steep, no problem for Mr H  but maybe for the elderly.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3672 on: March 06, 2018, 03:23:31 pm »
The Toad is one of the gems of the area and has been, for a long time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3673 on: March 06, 2018, 03:34:15 pm »
To be fair to the Toad they have had a lot of problems to face in the past with the development of the apartments either side and last year's prom fiasco so they deserve to succeed.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3674 on: March 08, 2018, 04:06:15 pm »
The old snack bar in Madoc St. is being stripped out, no clues as to what they intend.