Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1023372 times)

Offline Dwyforite

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 12:28:22 am »
went into mail coach monday night,no draught bitter;at all no john smiths,asked the pub manager why,he said the people who were to come in had not put in a full order and then changed their mind about moving in.in from 20-00 till 20-30. on my own not a good start,i would expect that on first night you would make sure things were right.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2010, 08:12:37 am »
went into mail coach monday night,no draught bitter;at all no john smiths,asked the pub manager why,he said the people who were to come in had not put in a full order and then changed their mind about moving in.in from 20-00 till 20-30. on my own not a good start,i would expect that on first night you would make sure things were right.
Yes, better to have left it for another day and made sure they were fully stocked before opening.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »
I want to give a special mention to The Fat Cat bar.

Last night (and again tonight) they had almost all their customers cancel their Xmas meals and parties.
I was talking to the Manager and the food wastage was colossal.   On top of that, they had drafted in lots of extra staff who, in good faith, needed to be paid.
Despite this, Fat Cat took the decision to re-imburse ALL monies taken for bookings...INCLUDING all deposits!
They are hopeful that this goodwill gesture will encourage some customers to re-book for after Xmas when trade is dire.

I wish them all the best.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 10:55:29 pm »
That speaks volumes for the management of the Fat Cat especially in these difficult times.  Let's hope that the weather improves and  that they have prosperous times ahead.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 05:53:43 am »
I must admit I've never been a great fan of The Fat Cat but that is very impressive. I hope it pays off for them.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:03 am »
They are hopeful that this goodwill gesture will encourage some customers to re-book for after Xmas when trade is dire

It's interesting, but bad weather preventing parties arriving is one of those legal grey areas. Maenan Abbey has suffered a similar fate, and has taken the same action.

In law, you make a contract when you book a meal and - if you don't attend - you're liable for the costs incurred by the restaurant. However, the sorts of weather we've had would probably be interpreted by the courts as constituting a 'reasonable' case for being unable to fulfil your part of the contract.  Having said that, both parties involved could - if they wished - opt for cancellation insurance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 09:44:45 am »
Hopefully companies will reschedule their office xmas parties for January when the restaurant trade is usually extremely slow. Maybe this can work out for the better for all involved.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2010, 11:11:12 am »
Insurance??

I was thinking of buying a kebab tonight......but it might be wise to invest in some cancellation insurance in case I change my mind and go for a Chinky instead.

Life is such a minefield isn't it?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Cartier

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »
(Edited)

We had to cancel our works dinner at the Imperial, not sure what will happen with the money there.
Fair play to the businesses that have refunded the deposits.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:29:57 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
Cartier:  I have removed a personal reference from your posting.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 08:18:24 pm »
Insurance??

I was thinking of buying a kebab tonight......but it might be wise to invest in some cancellation insurance in case I change my mind and go for a Chinky instead.

Life is such a minefield isn't it?

You should insure as "Third party fire and theft" just in case the meal after the second one isn't very good, the place catches fire, of someone nicks your kebab.  8)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »
Cartier:  I have removed a personal reference from your posting.

Cartier seems to be treading on thin ice at the moment.

I heard the ice on the Carlton Corner was particulary treacherous until it was gritted.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:34 pm »
The opposite corner was just as bad, literally covered in ice really dangerous  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 08:33:43 am »
Popped into the Mail Coach in Conwy last night. Very dodgy clientèle and situation, IMHO. I won't be going back. Apparently the guy running it now is just temporary.

Offline Jack

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »
Cross Keys on Madoc Street has re-opened under new management.