Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015488 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3630 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:26 am »
You did well to get in Bosun, we called by at about 8 and the place was heaving. Its pretty small so chances are its going to be hard to get a table most of the time. hopefully it pushes the other pubs to lift their game but i suspect its too small to really hurt them,

Called in to Tapps at the weekend to see how it was after all the opening hype had died down. In short, excellent. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff and superb beer.

I agree mondie, I don't think it will hurt other pubs, but it will certainly raise an eyebrow and make a few think. It can only be a good thing.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #3631 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
Tapps is a great place but I will have to grow a beard to fit in :D

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3632 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »
Tapps is a great place but I will have to grow a beard to fit in :D

.....and to communicate, shout loudly at your companions who are 8" away from you whilst they shout back.....
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3633 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:28 am »
We decided to go out for dinner on Saturday night and, on a whim, chose Tiffanys. It was great! We had the steak and really enjoyed it, along with a nice Merlot. Very glad we went there, made a nice change from the usual haunts.  $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3634 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:50 am »
With friends, all curry fiends, we ate at the Jalsa Indian in Conwy last night and (again) had a superb meal. The owner is a lovely chap and you can see through to kitchen from the restaurant and the food being cooked. The kitchen is a work of art, all lined with stainless steel and immaculate. 

It's gaining an excellent reputation, and deservedly so.

P.S. Johnny Dough's hopes to open in the Bridge in Conwy in February. 

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3635 on: November 29, 2017, 08:35:25 am »
Not sure they'll be winning any customer service awards soon

https://ryankonky.com/abusive-staff-from-old-station-hotel-llandudno-show-how-not-to-respond-to-negative-customer-reviews/

The original review on facebook is a horror show in the comments

https://www.facebook.com/pg/theoldstationhoteljunction/reviews/

££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3636 on: November 29, 2017, 10:29:36 am »
The Facebook one appears to have been removed. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3637 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:34 am »
Yes they've taken their whole facebook page down! Damage control but a little bit too late I think  :o

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3638 on: November 29, 2017, 10:39:00 am »
Not before it made the post though

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/chefs-surprise-response-family-complained-13964778

Wouldn't be surprised if the nationals picked it up. The Daily Mail loves stories like this.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3639 on: November 29, 2017, 01:47:29 pm »
It's a difficult one, that. It does portray just how nasty social media users can get when there's no control on their outpourings (and the chef really did himself no favours - from the photo he seems to bite his fingernails...) but as we all know some people can be extremely demanding and very unpleasant and we don't know how the party itself behaved. No one comes out of it looking good, though.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3640 on: November 30, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
Agreed but going on social media - especially the official page of the restaurant was an extremely stupid thing to do.
I remember I did "Social media training" about 10 years ago and we warned back then what should/shouldn't be posted even on our personal pages.

The other stupid and potentially illegal thing was after the mother said her son was Autistic the employee said "Take him somewhere else then"

If they keep their jobs I'll be amazed.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3641 on: November 30, 2017, 09:45:52 am »
Agreed. Human stupidity seems to know no bounds.  It's astonishing just how much can be gleaned about people from their the use of social media. User os LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc. seem to think it doesn't matter.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3642 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:41 am »
I have watched the success that is the Albion over the past few years, and the refurbishment of most of Conwy pubs - not to mention the opening of a new one, The Bank, at a time when many pubs are closing. I have given the matter due consideration and several moments thought as to the difference between Conwy and Llandudno and my conclusion is the same as yours - price - but from a different angle. The local trade from the relatively affluent rural and semi-rural Conwy area are not so price oriented as 'ambience' oriented; they want a pleasant pub experience, not simply the cheapest. Plus, the average visitor to medieval Conwy is possibly rather different to the average Llandudno visitor, a walker, hiker, history buff or someone who appreciates the 'quaintness', and is prepared to pay for it. Many tourists are foreign and find the prices acceptable. They are, like you and I on holiday, prepared to pay for the nicities in life and the Albion is a bit like a working museum, a feeling of nostalgia for the wood floored pubs of 'Olde'. The boat owners from the marina are another source, and you don't own a boat and berth it in Conwy marina if you are in any way price concious. All of which differ from Llandudno, whose resident population and visitors are possibly far more price conscious, shall we say, and look at price first and quality second; ambience perhaps not of the importance that it possibly is to Conwy clientele. 

So, in all, we agree, sadly, the Albion business model might not work in Llandudno.

This is a complete rarity, and I type through gritted teeth, but, I have to admit it, something that doesn't happen very often, but it does seem that I might be, oh alright, I admit it, I was wrong.

It appears that the Albion business model has worked in Llandudno.     I'm pleased to see that Tapps is a great success.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3643 on: December 12, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »
We decided to go out for dinner on Saturday night and, on a whim, chose Tiffanys. It was great! We had the steak and really enjoyed it, along with a nice Merlot. Very glad we went there, made a nice change from the usual haunts.  $good$

Being retired, (or kind of), it’s given us chance to pop in to many of the local places that I’ve never tried before.
So for lunch today, we tried Tiffany’s.   I can’t believe that we’ve never set foot in there, it’s just one of those things.
The menu is limited to say the least, and I had to choose lasagne, because everything else looked even more bland than that!   
It was adequate I suppose,  for £8.95 it was probably as good as a supermarket one at say £1.99.
I realise you pay for the surroundings, a bit of side salad etc... but Ho hum was my verdict.

Mrs F got the spinach and pesto pizza, which she thoroughly enjoyed.
I have to say the coffee was excellent to be fair.

It was ok I suppose.... worth a try, but I won’t be rushing back.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3644 on: December 21, 2017, 03:00:26 pm »
I read this article online earlier today and found it so refreshing and it restores your faith in human nature.  I seem to remember something similar going on in either Colwyn Bay or Llandudno last year

http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118229