Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015324 times)

Offline Paddy

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2011, 02:51:35 pm »
From what I've been told.  Two women from Anglesey took it over.  They had a party and it was their guests who kicked off not locals.  One party goer having been slashed across the neck with a broken glass (not sure if that's just hear say mind)I wonder if they'll get their deposit back?  Under those circumstances I'm not sure.
The Pub-co is also to blame here .  The pub is dark and dingey inside, refurbishment is down to the Pub-co..  The Alex has a lot of rooms but due to fire regs they can't let them as the fire escape needs replacing, again down to the Pub-co.  The kitchen does not meet health and hygiene standard either.  So basically it's dead in the water.
Can you imagine what the business rates etc are on a building that size in that location! 

Pen, I heard exactly the same from a lady who was working the bar that night. She also said that the visitors then went down to The King's arms and some trouble there caused the police to close that down for the night aswell.

The lady I spoke to also suggested that the licensing problems might be caused by the fact that Jimmy's name is still "above the door" but you'll understand the implications of that better than I.

Yorkie

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
I wonder why nice Mr Policeman didn't arrest a few and plaster a few posters about the town with their mugshots!    Another, different, sort of bug the town seems to have!     ZXZ   Z**   ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2011, 08:06:08 pm »
Can you imagine what the business rates etc are on a building that size in that location! 
No need to imagine but I suspect you will be surprised. Business rates payable in 2010 were £8,793.50.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:04 pm »
The Nineteen cafe in Lloyd Street has now reopened as the 'Top Table Cafe & Restaurant' and will be run by Ian & Lorna Roberts. Best of luck to them with their new venture.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:27 pm »
Paid a visit to the Corner Cafe in Rhos on Sea this afternoon. Good quality Illy coffee (always a good sign) and the food was a basic cafe menu but very well done. It's on the corner (funnily enough) across the road from HSBC. Worth a visit, I think.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »
The Nineteen cafe in Lloyd Street has now reopened as the 'Top Table Cafe & Restaurant' and will be run by Ian & Lorna Roberts. Best of luck to them with their new venture.

Is the Greenery cafe/restaurant still nearby?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
It would appear that Aldi are planning on closing their Llandudno store, as it is shown as being available to let. Rental is £245,000 per year:

http://www.lambandswift.com/PropertySheet.aspx?id=119

Wow, seems a lot. Makes me wonder how Superbowl manae to stay in business. The place is always empty midweek and isn't exactly heaving on the weekends anymore either

Do they still have the Polish Entrance?

I popped to McDonalds on Mostyn Champneys Retail Park in Llandudno earlier, and as I drove out, noticed that Llandudno Superbowl has apparently taken the decision to travel back in time towards the days of racial segregation by employing a separate entrance for Poles:

http://www.garysmith.org.uk/blog/index.php/blog/show/Casual-racism-is-alive-and-well-at-Llandudno-Superbowl.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »
Yes, was in there the other week. Could do with a revamp, in my view.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2011, 05:12:53 pm »
Yes, was in there the other week. Could do with a revamp, in my view.

Yes, it's had the same decor for years. Ninteen may prove to be stiff competition for them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »
I've heard that Aldi is NOT now closing... nor moving.

Anyone know for sure?  (I like Aldi)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

brumbob

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2011, 12:13:05 am »
I hope your rumour is correct, Aldi is OK, great to whizz around when you only want a few basic items that would take you an age to get at Asda.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2011, 08:08:23 am »
So Aldi say they're not closing or moving....but their store is available for rent. Draw your own conclusions.  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2011, 11:09:22 am »
Saw this review of the Alex on Tripadvisor:

This has to be one of the most depressing places in Llandundno,booked 3 single rooms, on arrival told no singles but could have a family room and a double, person in charge sorted keys, and then said rooms were on the 5th floor but no lift hallways dark (lights did not come on til almost at the top, doors to rooms did not close , one push and the door would have been open, felt very wary, Family room: lamp not working, TV not working, the beds were a disgrace only lay on them to test and could feel all springs, so uncomfortable, very poor condition and a poky room

Double room: next floor up, door still not shutting again one push and would have been open, TV one channel only , remote not working, had a freeview box (not working) remote no batteries, when tried to hang coat in wardrobe the bar fell off a cheap melamine wardrobe that had seen better days, again a poky room for a double, bed had more humps than a camel disgusting .quilt cover ripped, carpet stained very sad state of decor.

went out to get cash to pay as they would not accept card payment, (thank god for small mercies)on returning to hotel at 1.30 after a night out the place was in total darkness and we could not get in, key would not open the door as the door had been locked from inside, no staff on premises,found phone number in a window 3 floors up , to ask for them to open and let us in,

person in charge was in a pub and said he would be there in 5 mins or so, even he could not get in and had to go round the back and climb in through a window, once again lights did not come on up the stairs, so we packed up and left at 2. 30 am and we slept in the car as we felt unsafe inside this nightmare of a hotel.

I am only thankfull that at least we had not paid, and as we did not spend the night there will not be paying

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190724-d1656712-r73307767-The_Alexandra_Hotel-Llandudno_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html#REVIEWS#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »
in a town full of B&B's and Hotels that seems more like carelessness than bad luck  _))*

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:11 pm »
Hasthe newsagents opposite the North Western hotel in Vaughan Street closed down?  The buildingh is covered with scaffolding and it was closed yesterday, Sunday.
Also there seems to be building stuff in the old information office in Chapel Street.