Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015258 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #720 on: February 05, 2012, 07:07:36 pm »
Bri, you've picked the right man to ask about sitting outside cafes in the sunshine!  :laugh:

On the Mostyn Street side, they own the pavement up to the edge of where the canopy would have been (same curtilage as H Samuel next door). On the St Georges Place side, they own the pavement right up to the Phone box  and along to the empty shop next door - a considerable area! On a Summer's day, both frontages of Caffe Nero will be in sunshine for most of the afternoon, with the Mostyn St side getting the sunshine for longest.

They're going to be raking it in...

$cofffee$

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #721 on: February 05, 2012, 07:56:25 pm »
What a shame we didn't think about that first? $sunny$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »
What a shame we didn't think about that first? $sunny$
Indeed...  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
You've reminded me that I, erm, just happened to have the Land Registry Record for the Caffe Nero site - its shows the extent of pavement area that they can put their tables out on (ignore the bit outside the small shop next door though):

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:55 am »
Agreed. Burtons always felt like a pokey little shop for such a prominent location.

I'm encouraged by the attention to detail that Caffe Nero are showing so far to the design of their premises.

Here's an article that details some of their pricing as of Sept last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/poll/2011/sep/23/store-wars-caffe-nero-starbucks

One thing that is interesting is their Reward Scheme - Buy 9 coffees and get the 10th free.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #725 on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
That just leaves Travelodge to begin,then we hope somebody comes in for the Tudno Castle now its up for sale.the station is still a  way of being sorted but you never know it may be this year.Whopeeeeee.No i will not go as far as saying the town council will put xmas lights up because that will be going too far.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #726 on: February 07, 2012, 09:04:01 am »
Work will be commencing on the Clarence Hotel conversion into a Travelodge in 2 weeks time if CCBC pull their finger out and get the planning paperwork sorted.. Work will take approx one year to complete.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: February 09, 2012, 04:51:51 pm »
Caffe Nero are now advertising for staff:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #728 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »
Cash Converters advertising for a manager in Llandudno,not sure if they mean Colwyn Bsy or they are opening a store in town.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #729 on: February 10, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »
We had lunch today at the Kinmel Arms, very nice but what a shame that they have had their view completely blocked by a huge newly built house right in front of it. There must be a tale to tell here. All one side of the new property is boarded up front and back and looks a real eyesore.
Parked next to a very nice looking Maserati with a red leather interior.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »
Never been to the Kinmel Arms but heard good things about it. That little stub of a road its on used to be a public road that carried on and joined up with the back road to St Asaph until the Estate Owner blocked it off when Kinmel Hall was built. Couldn't possibly have ordinary people travelling through the Estate!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #731 on: February 10, 2012, 06:44:07 pm »
The house in front of the Kinmel Arms is old house that has been extended http://g.co/maps/ztrtf
The work has been going on for years

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #732 on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:23 am »
Mrs Fester and I had a meal in The Kinmel Arms about 18 months ago, it is a superb pub with beautiful features.
The food was excellent, but a bit pricey to be a regular thing.

Our table looked out at the building site which you photograph clearly depicts.  We couldn't believe that planning permission was granted for it.   Maybe it wasn't?
I am sure that no progress has been made in the last 18 months.
Get Dean Seager on the job, he'll get it finished.  :)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #733 on: February 11, 2012, 10:18:07 am »
The Kinmel Arms has changed hands many times over the last 30 years and I may have mixed up some of the ex owners. I haven't seen this "new" bit of building, but I imagine it is an extension to the original house built around 1977 by the owners of the Kinmel Arms at that time, a mr Frazier and his wife Dorcis. Mr Frazier was from Birmingham, the eldest brother of three men, Clifford owning inter leisure camp in Towyn assisted by Geoffrey.
Prior to this house being built, Harry Swallow was the landlord and he had an aviary on part of the grounds. Harry Swallow, another real Rhyl style entrepreneur already ran the Palace Hotel in Rhyl.
After that, in quick succession, came Stewart Ellis, owner of Palins camp, a man whose name I cannot recall but he was a young retired health official from England somewhere, and then probably the present owners.mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #734 on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »
Workmen were still busy inside the new Caffe Nero when I went past at 4.50pm tonight. Must be keen to get it open.